AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have information/opinions on Aspen home theater seating? Particularly the "Burbank" motorized model with four seat arrangement.
http://aspenhome.net/default.aspx?tabid=223&pid=135

Seems to be good quality at approx. $2500 for four. My "furniture guy" (who is not selling these to me) says they are as good or better than LaZBoy for $1000+ less. I'd like to get some Berklines from Roman, but there simply don't seem to be any actually floored from the Bay Area to Reno and I just can't spend that kind of money on something I haven't actually sat in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trimule

·
Registered
118 Posts
I asked the same question earlier this month and did not get any responses. I saw these at a local store and they felt pretty comfortable. They only had in 3 seat config and could not order any others. If they would have had a 4 seat, I would have thought about it then and there. I gave some info that I got from a Aspen Rep thorugh email in my post. Let me know what you think of them if you get them. Also, who are you ordering them though?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uwansumadis - I found a set in Sacramento and went down to check them out. They appear to be well made - they have a "good" look to them. They are, however, to my way of thinking, very firm. You sit "on" them, not "in" them. I also have to get back to the dealer in Reno who quoted me $2500 for four as that is what the store in Sac. wanted for three. Either a great deal or a misquote.

I did find a store that had the Berkline 090 on the floor and they were much closer to the feel I was looking for. The Aspen dealer was American Furniture Gallery (4 stores in the Sac. area) The salesman showed me multiple leather samples and said they were available in more than the three unit they had on the floor. If the much lower Reno price holds up, I will let you know who to get in touch with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the price of 3 seats. I saw a row of three at a place called "The Dump" for 1999. The only local place that is an authorized retailer of these chairs is selling them for 900-1000/chair. They do look very nice though, and are narrower than some, which would enable a better fit in my theater, but at close to 1000/chair, a little much for me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I find it fascinating that consumers have been brainwashed into purchasing lower-quality cushioning by branding it as plush. Firm cushioning tends to last longer and it is generally lower quality cushioning used to make something feel softer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
my thougt on it is, kinda like build-a-bear workshop, YES I SAID IT. they ask you if you want soft medium or firm. If you want soft they dont put much filling in. For firm they stuff as much fluff up that bears ass until it nearly explodes. Which is better? I don't know. I think watching movies on the soft bear might be nice, but it will lose it's shape quicker. The firm bear is would be like sitting on a log, but will feel the same no longer how long you sit on it. This is going too long. My ambien kicked in about an hour ago and I need to go to bed. I will take my kids build-a-bears with me to bed and give you an update in the morning

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UWAN- It was a price quote error by the salesman. That was the price for three.

As to the "firmness" factor, these were firm enough that I could feel a "sliding off to the side" sensation. (If you made them out of cast iron they would probably last even longer but I wouldn't want my delicate butt sitting on that for three hours either.)

It's all a matter of personal preference, so I'm going to go with Roman's great new Power Buy Deal. Good luck to all in finding what suits you best.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can you really judge the build quality on chairs without flipping them over on their belly?

·
Registered
464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimule /forum/post/12880908

Uwansumadis - They are, however, to my way of thinking, very firm. You sit "on" them, not "in" them.

Over time, consumers have been conditioned that "plush" is better when in all reality, it allows the manufacturer to use lower-grade foam that won't last as long. If it starts out as firm, it will soften over time but will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoplex /forum/post/12933532

Can you really judge the build quality on chairs without flipping them over on their belly?

No you can't.

These chairs are pretty nice. I work at a store that sells them as well as Berkline. They probably aren't as comfortable as the higher end Berklines, but they are very nice for the money. I don't know how they compare to some of the Berklines that are available via powerbuy for less on this forum though

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think firmer is a little better over time it will break in like a baseball glove however the softer seats tend to get even softer over time. I call the softer seats showroom friendly as everybody who sits in them for a few minutes buys them. The proof though is if you sit 2 hours in them how do you feel, how is your back. Some of the best in my opinion are jaymar distributed by bass, the celebrity lounger is the best known one I own some they are great. Palliser a less expensive version of jaymar but go for the assembled ones not the knockdown ones. If you want soft seats berkline is it, and prefer the 099 for the quality in that chair. The smaller frames like 088 and 086 are not as good, space savers but I would go with the bigger frames. berkline is doing imported chairs now they all start with 1 series and these are all made in china, I don't know the quality on those yet as they are too new to know, I heard pretty good things though.

If you can go sit in some go do it but sit there for a while and see how you feel. But the bottomline is if you want a better long term invesment go with firmer seats they last a bit longer. in the end, you have to consider longevity based on usage, if you don't use that much than don't worry but I have a feeling anybody in this forum uses their theater alot. It comes down to personal choice in the end.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Aspen? So does that mean these chairs come from the place where the beer flows like wine and beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano?

·
Registered
22 Posts
they probably come from the aspen in china is my bet, if their is one. what's the chinese beer Tsingtao or something like that. I bet they drink Tsingtao in apsen, china and make aspen theater seats. they make the capistrano theater seats in capistrano, only available in salmon leather.

is this a dumb and dumber reference in your post, if so quite clever

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just joined today so.....hi,,, i was visiting homfurniture today and sat upon the flyes home theater seats ever!!!! i aqured the very same seats for 2thou 3 hundred bf sales txs and what not. they'd normaly cost 3thou 3hnrd ,i got them in brown on clearance

·
Registered
150 Posts
got my burbank power leather sofa and its so comfertable ,Im 5,11 and have lots of recline ,the power buttons localisation is on the right arms with the exception of the 3rd quadrent from left thats armless and has its own remote .Each chair has its own power cable allowing chairs to be separated .Ive been sitting on them for 7 days drinking and these seats r solid ,the drawback for me is when i am going to sit back upright the back cushion is still very firm so it kinda slants you forward giving your self that corpse like appearance .apart from that everythings sweet, I like the way the chairs lock and stay in place when i stop pressing the recline up or down giving me freedom over my own comfort (no more havin 2 sit forward to sip ) .The chairs have wallsavers needin only 3 inch clearance and when motors kick in theres no robocop or t2 noises ,its perfectly smooth and silent.Underneeth chairs looks well put together lots of leather ,theres no shady vinyl anywhere

·
Registered
189 Posts
An aspen dealer told me:

* they added dark brown to the Burbank model.

"Just a few differences on us and Berkline...we are all leather back,

side, seats, etc. They use vinyl match on sides and backs....all leather is rare.

We use Okin motors (German made, safe motor used in BMW power car

seats...Okin is owned by BMW)."

Anyone else have any experience with these?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts

Quote:
Just a few differences on us and Berkline...we are all leather back,

side, seats, etc. They use vinyl match on sides and backs....all leather is rare.

Well, it looks like a marketing statement. They use all leather and will charge you for it. The Berkline offers both leather/vinyl combo and all leather, and you have a choice.

"all leather is rare" - what does that mean?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I too was looking as the Aspen line, nice and very well built - but $ over the others.

I can save $1K on a row of 3 with some of the Berklines from Roman but not being able to sit in them is a problem. Although, I don't think it's worth 1K :)

$2500 for a set of 3 seems to be the norm. (all with armrests) for the Aspen. I like the ability get get it in firm vs. the 'fall' into it feel of almost all of the others I have sat in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts