Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a TAG McLaren 700:7R power amp (7*100W) nearly-new at a knock-down price. However I can find very little information on them beyond the manufacturers blurb - can't find any reviews at all.

I currently have a Denon 4805 (AVC-A11SR). I will be driving a Dynaudio 7.1 setup - Contour 1.3MkIIs as fronts, Contour Centre, Audience 42s as surrounds, Audience 40s as surround backs.

My thought was to buy the Tag McLaren power amp, feeding it from my Denon which would continue as my pre-amp until such time as I can afford a stand-alone processor unit and sell the Denon.

I can potentially get the Tag for only £600 - its RRP is £2500. Considering my integrated Denon was only £1200 new, I imagine this could only be an improvement - but am concerned about the lack of info I can find about the Tag MCLaren.

Anyone have any thoughts on this setup or could provide a mini review of the Tag McLaren 700:7R?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing that appeals to me about the Tag is its ability to switch to provide 150W. I expect I would therefore use it as follows:

Tag switched to provide 2 channels of 150w, for my front Contour 1.3MkIIs, and 3 channels of 100W, for the centre and surrounds. I would then drive my surround rears from the Denon.

The Contour MkIIs are fairly power hungry, so the boosted 150W will definitely be a benefit to them. Although this configuration means I won't get the benefit of the Tag for the surround rear channels, these are of least importance and the Denon can still do a decent job of those.

In a future upgrade I would likely get a two-channel 200+W amplifier solely to drive the Contours, and then use the Tag for the remaining 5 channels - 1 at 150W (centre speaker), the remainder at 100W.

All a little bit convoluted but this seems to give me an excellent quality upgrade for a very reasonable (£600) price

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.