AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a set still....great sound. I think 400 is a good price if they're in mint condition. One of the first with a matrix (precedes the 801/802 Matrix, iirc) and kevlar cone! Make sure they have the spikes still.

PS. I got mine new in 89 or 90 for CAD$2100, FWIW.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge-Hog /forum/post/15589788

I have a set still....great sound. I think 400 is a good price if they're in mint condition. One of the first with a matrix (precedes the 801/802 Matrix, iirc) and kevlar cone! Make sure they have the spikes still.

PS. I got mine new in 89 or 90 for CAD$2100, FWIW.

Thanks for the response. I am looking to upgrade my old ESS towers with the lesser Heil's (sloppy bass and midrange, love the highs though).

How would you describe the sound of the CM2, treble and bass?

·
Registered
31 Posts
For reference, my current system is probably considered entry mid-fi. It consists of a Sony CDP-707ES player, Adcom GFP-555 pre-amp, and Adcom GFA-555 (2 x 200w) amp. All connected via Tara Labs interconnects and speaker cables.

I found the speakers to be very open and airy. Excellent soundstage and depth. The image height could be a bit more focus but it's not bad. Like most B&W, the sound seems to come out effortlessly. I play everything from classical to jazz to hard rock and really heavy metal. I think they work well up to really heavy metal.

I liked the metal dome tweeters a lot. While they reproduced good sibiliance they aren't too hot and sizzly. The mids were nice but not too warm. I was comparing them to a set of Linn Kabers back then and I found the Linns too dry and sterile (tho very accurate). The matrix system offered a tight sound...snare drum damping was good...didn't seem to have leftover harmonics or artifacts. I played the Sheffield Drum Record and loved it. I recall my brother mentioning he liked the high-mids better than his original 801s.

Bass-wise, it was more than adequate. They seem to roll off at 80Hz. However, being rear firing, if you move the speakers around, the bass will improve somewhat. I have mine only a foot away from the way and, iirc, they sounded better about 2 feet away.

Anyhoo, I love this set. I'll be moving them to the living room when my new system shows up.

HTH. Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts