AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After making a vhs recording ( yes I still have one of those ) from my cable box and playback the video, I get to see this message briefly with the video continuing, but the audio goes mute.

ATTENTION

Set-Tops HDMI port needs an HDCP compatible TV input.

Please Switch to a Compatible TV input or do not use the Set-tops HDMI port.

If your TV's input supports HDCP, the HDMI cable may be at fault.''

For the record, I have a Samsung 55"HD LCD TV, Time Warner cable and a RCA vhs recorder. I do not use an HDMI from my cable box to the TV...i use the component cables. The VHS recorder is connected to the TV via rca cables...audio and video. I only have one HDMI port on my cable box which is used for my Blu-ray player, which turns on my TV when ready to play a disk.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I see this error all the time with my DirecTV receivers. It generated by your cable box. Your STB is essentially telling you that it has detected something connected to the HDMI port, but whatever that is, it is not responding to the handshake protocol properly. Under these conditions, the box is prohibited from outputting the signal. This is under the control of the cable provider of course. It was "introduced" by DirecTV some time ago. It created havoc with my A/V entertainment system until I found a Rube-Goldberg work-around. What is the HDMI output of your cable box connected to? It certainly thinks SOMETHING is connected. If the boxes HDMI output is not connected, then the box is faulty.

The error is telling you to either connect the STBs HDMI port to your television directly, or, don't use the HDMI port on the STB at all. Yeah, it stinks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.