AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just moved. In the process he surplused an old klipsch promedia 4.1 kit my way. I pulled it apart and harvested the tiny sub drivers to test my new WT2. When I popped out the plate amp on the back of the sub there are 5 individual amplifier boards powered from a common power supply. Has anyone fooled with these? I know I've seen several people here with pictures of builds using icepower or other tiny homebrew amps. I'd love to harvest the internals or at least reappropriate them for my task of powering 5 small sub drivers. Depending on where you get the specs, each channel is from 80 to 100 watts.

One of the satellites has controls mounted to it. The controls connect the source and the plate amp as well as provide signal side gain. The signal is amplified in the plate and pumped out through either the sub or the 4 satellites. All the low content is filtered from 4 of the outputs since it’s a sub/sat setup. So I need some way to manage gain without the signal processing inherent in the current setup. I'd like to add some other gain and connect it directly to the inputs on each amp but I'm open to any suggestions the crew here might have.

I figured I'd post this but since I'm at work I can't get any detailed pics. Once I get home I'll snap a few and post them.
http://www.klipsch.com/media/news-ce...oMedia_4.1.jpg

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/16936622

The amp is rated 400 watts maximum burst power not rms. Good luck powering subs with them.

I bet its around 80 watts per channel. The subs we're looking to power are the original ones klipsch put in the unit and another two 5 1/4" drivers scavenged from another HTIB type deal. I dont expect anything spectacular. Just one of those "because its there" type challenges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts