AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe I have one myself and wonder if anyone has got one also and tried cleaning the panel just like the owners of PLV70s have.

Think the dust filter is a little wimpy on the Z1, seen pics of the HS10 filter and looks pretty impressive.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes I have a green one on the lower left, not to problematic, may wait to see if I get anymore before risking taking the top off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one as well. Green one towards the left center. I have been unsuccessful attempting to remove it by blowing compressed air into various vents. It hasnt bothered me enough (or I havent had enough free time) to take it apart yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have one dead red pixel. At first I saw no dust blobs. However, now at about 35 hrs, I have no less than FOUR blobs, which of two are a bit annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:confused:

I got something in the upper right corner, blueish (and blobish) and is only visable up in really dark scenes. Is this a "dust blob"?

and if so, what can we do about it?

I thought it was on the lens and I tried shifting the picture but the blob moved with it. Where does a dust blob reside?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What color is the blob.

Most likely on one of panels, I had one on blue and one on green.

Was able to take cover off and able to blow compressed air just like the PLV70 owners have which got rid of the blobs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My blob is blue. I'm totally ignorant of how these project an image, are there 3 LCD panels for each color? If so, wouldn't they be sealed off from dust?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One panel for each color. So your spec of dust would be on the blue.

And Yes the panels are in the open to dust on them if it gets by the filter.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So far I have no success at all removing dust,

even taking the top off andt he circuit board and

blowing round the panels.

the dust won't shift, I have about 15 small bits.

My room is very clean and hardly used as is the

projector, anyone any ideas?

Corwin, how close were you able to get

to the panels?

Thanks, ROne.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I finally got the time to take the thing apart and blow around under the main board....unfortunately with no luck. The dust blob is still present.

Has Sanyo made any statement re: warrantys and the dust blobs? In my case it was present from first usage....

--Rich

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have read the posts regarding dust blobs on the Z1 LCD panels and was wondering if anyone knows if the DLP machines are suseptable to those nasty dust blobs?????

thanks Doug

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
well I guess it had to happen to me since I was praising the z1 so much...Tonight I went to turn the z1 off and saw a few spots. I totally defocussed the pj and the blobs turned into tiny spots. dust.:(

I think Sanyo needs to learn how to make a quality filter and/or case so dust doesn't get in. sheesh. I never had one blob or anything like that on my ae100 with over 840 hours. I'd say I have about 25 or so hours on the z1.

Thankfully they don't show up during anything but like black. I will still probably try and take this thing apart to clean them.

Pisses me off

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a couple weeks and have not had any since I got rid of the first few I had when I first got it.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
how should I go about trying to clean those badboys? try and blow compressed air under the circuit board covering the panels or just take it off and really shoot those panels with the air?

I'm a little cautious of taking off the top board but will if need be. :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine acts as a vacuum cleaner. :( At first I had no visible dust blobs. Now I'm at +50 Hrs and have about 10 blobs which of two or three are disturbing with video material. For some reason all are on the blue panel.

With this rate, I won't be seeing any light from the blue panel in a couple of months. Somebody please find a way of removing those nasties without invalidating the warranty..

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
yooooooooooink. tonight I blasted those damn panels with some comrpessed air and got rid of the two VERY visible green blobs. There seems to still be the faint blue one but it is almost impossible to see at normal viewing distance and "awareness"...I decreased its visbility a little bit but not as much as the green ones...those were the two I focused on the most.

I'm a happy camper and am thankful it went without any issues and was so easy to do so if any future dust blobs wish to creep up, I'll blast their asses.:D

·
Registered
384 Posts
I spoke with Studio Experience today and asked them about dust blobs. The salesman said that it was covered under their warranty!!! I want to talk to a second person and get this in writing before I purchase it. Anybody else hear about this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just took my Z1 to Sanyo to have a dust blob removed. Mine is a bluish one at the bottom of the screen. This is how it works

1. Remove the screws at the bottom. There are 6 of them.

2. Remove the top cover. Be careful cos there is a cable attached to the circuit board.

3. Turn on the pj.

4. You will see 3 square slots on the left with lights coming out. These are the RGB panels.

5. Blow compressed air into the slot with the same color as the dust blob.

6. To confirm that all the dust blobs have been removed. Hold a piece of white paper very close to the pj and focus the lens. Tiny bits of dust can be seen as tiny dots of red, green or blue light.

P.S. I have been using my Z1 for about a week now. Must say that I am very pleased with the pq of this tiny pj. Now thinking if I should build a HTPC or stick with my RP82.

Hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.