AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went format neutral, and I'm gathing info on getting an HDMI capable receiver now. I did read through the sticky at the top about future proof receivers, but I was wondering if any of you have specifically upgraded for this reason, what you got, and what your results are.

I was looking at the Onkyo 604 because of the price, but it doesn't look like it does decoding / matrixing from PCM for the rear surrounds. Not a huge deal but if I get something I do want this capability.

Any of you get anything nice recently that gets this done?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I got the RX-V2700. Originally I was going to get an HD DVD player. I ended up getting the XBox-360 add-on HD DVD player. I still decided to get the RX-V2700 even though the add-on for it's features, power and HDMI out. I also figured HDMI would be in my future for hooking up optical players or future set top boxes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did as well. Had a Denon 3802, and was pretty happy with it, but just found the analog too much of a pain to deal after buying the HD-DVD. Ended up upgrading my receiver to a 4806, and I've been very happy with it (though due to graduate classes, haven't had as much time to test out as I'd like). I'm also happy with its 3 HDMI inputs (plus 1 DVI).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I got along alright with my Onkyo receiver while I was only supporting HD-DVD since I could use the analog inputs for Dolby TrueHD. But when I got a PS3, I was suddenly missing out on PCM and 7.1 surround.

I upgraded to a Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV and the improvement in sound through HDMI was immediately noticable. The only downside is now I'm itching to get one for the living room to replace the Integra receiver in there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm in the same position as the OP. Looking, reading... Most of the receivers listed here other than the Denons have the LFE bug, correct? And of the listed Denons only the 2807 can accept 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. I have 3 HDMI sources, but the 2807 only has 2 HDMI in. So I would LOVE to consider the Marantz or the Pioneer 84 if they don't suffer from the LFE bug over HDMI.

Someone set me straight....

I want the ability to feed the receiver 7.1 LPCM (HDMI)

I want the ability to feed the receiver 5.1 LPCM (HDMI) and apply DSP for 7.1

I want the receiver not to suffer from the -10db LFE bug over HDMI

I want to switch more than 2 HDMI sources (although I have the monoprice 5x1)

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/0

I went with the Marantz 7001. I'm delighted with it. I'm using 3 of its 4 HDMIs. No HDCP handshake problems with it whatsoever, after many with a previous receiver.

I'm unclear whether the 7001 does support 7.1 LPCM or not? I've been following the main thread, but I don't think it's confirmed if it works or not is it? I'm trying to decide between the Denon 2807 and the Marantz 7001.

Guy

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the Yammy 6090. It does 1080P passtrhu, processing on HDMI audio, and 7.1. The LFE is not a problem with PS3, but with H-A1 had to set all speakers to large and increase -10 on all channels and -12 on SW. Now the difference between volumes for blu-ray and hd-dvd is very close.

The 6090 has all speakers set to small, even though they are all capable of very good bass, fronts have 12" woofers. Crossover set at 80 in 6090 and H-A1. Crossover on sub set to highest level. Sound on sub at 1/2 mark, and speaker levels set using the microphone and auto setup program in 6090.

The DSP-A1 was good, but this setup blows it away by far.

I am very happy with this setup, and got 6090 from J&R for $699+shipping.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i got the onkyo 604 and so far it has been great. i've got an a2 and a bdps1 both hdmi. i'm running polk and paradigm. i did find that i had to run an optical cable for sd's on the a2, cause without it i only had 2.1 sound. i was leaning towards the pio elite 81 at butterfly photo but some of the reviews i read(about bf) were not to favorable.so for 399 at cc i couldnt pass up the 604.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gutierrez /forum/post/0

I'm in the same position as the OP. Looking, reading... Most of the receivers listed here other than the Denons have the LFE bug, correct? And of the listed Denons only the 2807 can accept 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. I have 3 HDMI sources, but the 2807 only has 2 HDMI in. So I would LOVE to consider the Marantz or the Pioneer 84 if they don't suffer from the LFE bug over HDMI.

Someone set me straight....

I want the ability to feed the receiver 7.1 LPCM (HDMI)

I want the ability to feed the receiver 5.1 LPCM (HDMI) and apply DSP for 7.1

I want the receiver not to suffer from the -10db LFE bug over HDMI

I want to switch more than 2 HDMI sources (although I have the monoprice 5x1)

Adam, also seems to me the Denon 2807 is the choice here to get this done. I was totally set on the Onkyo 604 for price but if I'm not going to get 7.1 LPCM on surrounds why bother. Perhaps I don't understand totally, why would it not process the LPCM for the surrounds?

I'd love to just bite on the 2807, but I have a feeling my wife would freak. There is also the 2307CI for a cheaper price, that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man /forum/post/0

I'm unclear whether the 7001 does support 7.1 LPCM or not? I've been following the main thread, but I don't think it's confirmed if it works or not is it? I'm trying to decide between the Denon 2807 and the Marantz 7001.

Guy

No LFE bug on the SR7001 and that is confirmed. I would not count on 7.1 PCM support though. This is still very much a grey area. Marantz has said it works and just does not light up the rear channels on the display, others say there is no content in the SB channels at all. I can't test it, because my BD player doesn't support it either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.