AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved this movie, but im curious as to how the picture quality is.

I got the DVD version for christmas and want to know if it is worth paying the extra 6 or 7 dollars to get the HD DVD version

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got it today. Price matched Fry's who has it for $14.99. Unfortunately, I can't really judge the picture quality, because my Xbox 360 won't play it back. It keeps telling me that parental controls are preventing playback. And then other times it's just a black screen. It's not the disk, because it plays fine in our A2 display at work, albeit slow-loading. Looked great for the brief time I tested it. All the other discs I bought today play fine. (Slevin & Poseidon)

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/0

click on the reviews sticky and go to high def digest....they have had a review up for a week or so.

...although the High Def Digest review claims that the extras are almost entirely in 1080p (which they're not), and the one extra Peter says is in standard-def and 4x3 is actually in anamorphic widescreen. If he can look at the deleted scenes and sincerely think they're in high-def, I'd severely question anything else he has to say.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman35 /forum/post/0

I loved this movie, but im curious as to how the picture quality is.

I got the DVD version for christmas and want to know if it is worth paying the extra 6 or 7 dollars to get the HD DVD version

Thanks

Definitely worth the money. I have both the DVD and HD DVD versions and the HD DVD looks far better. If you are a fan of this movie (or Kevin Smith in general) then rush out and get the HD DVD!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Movie looks OK, I mean it's the low-tech look that he apparently wanted and it's consistent with the other flick, so I don't much care.

I got Slevin as well, and I love that film. The writing is exceptionally witty, which is pretty rare these days.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Watched it last night. I'll echo everyone else and say that it looks as it should and that it does actually look pretty decent. In terms of video features, I've only seen the introduction, which was definitely NOT in 1080p. We'll see about the rest....

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalconXBR /forum/post/0

I got it today. Price matched Fry's who has it for $14.99. Unfortunately, I can't really judge the picture quality, because my Xbox 360 won't play it back. It keeps telling me that parental controls are preventing playback. And then other times it's just a black screen. It's not the disk, because it plays fine in our A2 display at work, albeit slow-loading. Looked great for the brief time I tested it. All the other discs I bought today play fine. (Slevin & Poseidon)

Anyone else having this problem?

Interesting. I watched it last night on my 360 and had zero issues.

As for the PQ, I thought it was great! The grain was true to its source as someone else mentioned. Knowing how much I HATE that tier thread, it will wind up somewhere in tier 3 by their standards. If you like the film, pick it up. It was definitely HD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What they said - while many people would say that a film like Clerks II doesn't really "need" to be in HD, it looks fantastic. It has the same sharpness, detail, and clarity you'd expect from high-definition video. The only downsides are the grain and slight desaturation, both of which were stylistic choices and thus no fault of HD-DVD itself.

Whether or not it's worth the upgrade is personal decision, but if there's an HD version of something available, *I* always prefer it. Of course, I actually waited the few months for this one to come out.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Good Movie.

Mostly dialogue. still good in HD.

Hd is always better than SD.

Better sound, and better Res.

Just cuz it's not as sharp. doesn't mean that it is no good in HD>

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I watched it with no problems on my 360 add-on. Great movie.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It also has Dolby True-HD sound, so that is always a plus, even though it's not as great like on other titles that take advantage of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.