AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
lawdawg,

The beast doesn't yet exist outside my "lab". The last component in the search for "perfection" in the optical engine is the halo mask.

To this ends I have designed a fairly complex three-dimensional thin metal masking assembly. I am currently working with a metal photo-etching facility (thanks Mr.Wigggles) to mass produce the mask at the tolerence levels I need (a couple thousandths of an inch) and with the particular finish required.

All the other "problems" in the engine have been identified and corrected including the odd off-angle stray light to the right side and the top of the image (table orientation), blackout of certain engine chamber components, and of course the clear sector blockout and rebalancing.

We'll let everyone know when the mods are ready for prime time. I'm taking my time with the 150 as I believe with the correct mods in place it is realisticly possible to exceed a 1200 to 1 C.R.

Patience my young Jedi,

Thump

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1200 to 1 C.R.?!? AWESOME! Here is an early thanks for all your hard work. I imagine that that with the abundance of 150 users on this board, that your lab will be verry, verrry busy in the future.

May the force be with you Master Thumper.

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
1200:1???? Is there even any stock projectors out there that can match that today?

Btw. do you mod for international customers http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ?

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
103 Posts
1200 to 1 C.R.?

Ok you got me...

What's that?

Eddy

------------------

-

Marantz SR-19

Marantz DV-7100

Energy Encore II

JVC 32PIP

looking for FP(LT-150)

Digital Cable Box

Aura Bass shakers

Eddy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Contrast Ratio between whitest white and blackest black.

Given that many projectors are below 500:1, 1200:1 is very high. The new Sharp Z9000 is only 1100:1 I believe.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Will there be DIY kits available?

------------------

-Tony

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanx Red

But I am confused...

Why is 1200 to 1 better?

When setting up the LT150 for example, my contrast was somewhere near the middle. Or am I out to lunch here?

------------------

-

Marantz SR-19

Marantz DV-7100

Energy Encore II

JVC 32PIP

looking for FP(LT-150)

Digital Cable Box

Aura Bass shakers

Eddy

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thumper,

What are you using to measure contrast ratio? Have you ever looked at the mod potential for a JVC D-ILA? Obviously there is ample inherent device contrast (the 5000SC gets 1000:1, measured, with the same chip), I have been told that they achieved better contrast by tightening component specs.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is one for the dictionary if it gets started...

What the heck is a contrast ratio?

I thought you guys were talking about how much play the little contrast slider has in the picture adjustments.

Forgive my stupid questions. I thought this stuff was a lot easier then it is. I still managed to get a good picture, just want to make it better!

Learning something new everyday.

Eddy

------------------

-

Marantz SR-19

Marantz DV-7100

Energy Encore II

JVC 32PIP

looking for FP(LT-150)

Digital Cable Box

Aura Bass shakers

Eddy