AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone is getting ABC HD tonight, 9/21?

My local ABC affiliates are usually very, very good about providing HD, and I was able to check 3 different ABC HD affiliates tonight, and none of them Had HD.

At 8pm, it looked like one of my local Stations(WDTN-DT Dayton) may have attempted to switch to HD, but it ended up being "blank screen" for about 30 minutes, until they switched to the SD feed. They did have a ticker with local info on a local emergency today, which I suppose could be an issue, although bugs/tickers usually isn't an issue from them during HD, since they have a SD Subchannel with analog 4x3 SD simulcast as well. Anyhow, I Didn't see any ABC HD from them between 8pm~11pm EDT.

WCPO-DT, ABC Cincinnati my other local station also had SD for "Threat Matrix" and "Lethal Weapon". I did notice the "Availabe in HDTV" Banner at beginning of "Lethal Weapon". This station sends us ABC HD programming info via a local newsletter, and both these programs were on their list as HD.

Also, Conditions were just good enough that just after 10:30pm so I was able to check WSYX-DT, ABC Columbus and it also did not have HD for Lethal Weapon, at least between 10:30-11pm.

Thanks,

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,645 Posts
Yup, I caught a glimpse of Threat Matrix and Lethal Weapon, both in HD.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Ken -- Looks like I have a more few emails and calls to make ...

We must be having a severe case of Murphy's Law affecting the local DTV stations as of late. I think in the last few days I've probably set a new personal record in such a short period concerning number of calls and emails to local stations ...

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Jeff,

We had the same problem here in Augusta (black screen & no audio). Our ABC station has an auto-switching system and the operator didn’t notice it was transmitting a blank signal until I call about 10 minutes into the first show.

He checked the SRD and it had no indication of receiving an HD signal, so he switched back to upconverted NTSC.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Telstar 4 was lost and may account for some ABC affiliates having problems.

The following was posted by Lou Ruiz on DBSForums:

The following is from Abc Televison press release regarding the T4 failure;

"At approximately 8:56 am ET today (9-19-2003) Telstar 4 failed. Telstar-4 was our primary satellite path for network distribution as well as for the NewsOne Pathfire News distribution service. The satellite loss exhibited itself as a sudden loss of all transponders on the satellite,

both C and Ku band. Telstar-5 was not affected and ABC affiliates were able to switch to our Hot Stand-by feeds there for both E/C/M and West net feeds."

"Loral Skynet has analyzed the failure and determined that the main power buss of the satellite failed. While battery power was available, Skynet satellite controllers were receiving some telemetry data and attempted to regain contact and control, but these efforts were of no avail. As of 3:00 pm ET the battery power had dropped to the point where there is no telemetry contact at all, and no recovery is expected."

·
Registered
433 Posts
My local affiliate confirmed that their loss of HD for the weekend was due to the loss of Telstar 4. Unfortunate for me since I missed Threat Matrix on Thursday and wanted to see it tonight in HD. On a side not, does Telstar 5 carry SD and HD signals?

Jeff

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't AVSforum great :)

Thanks for the Add'l info guys, certianly explains the missing HD from my local ABC HD stations. Evidently, "that guy" Murphy really IS causing some havoc, and not just with my local stations! One of them(ABC Dayton), BTW, suffered a "Catastrophic Tube Failure"(as their CE put it) recently for example ....

·
Registered
868 Posts
The ABC HD feed has been moved to telstar 5. All ABC stations should have received information telling them what needed to be done to get the HD feed. The HD feed was fine on Telstar 5 tonight. Telstar 5 is the satellite that the ABC backup analog feed has always been on. All stations should have a dish pointed at it to get the analog feed. This information was sent via multiple methods by ABC starting last Friday and they even called us to make sure that we were getting the feed. I do not know what the other stations problems were.

Rory at KXTV Sacramento

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rory Boyce
This information was sent via multiple methods by ABC starting last Friday and they even called us to make sure that we were getting the feed. I do not know what the other stations problems were.
Thanks for the info in your above post, Rory. If my local ABC affiliates were stations which were usually "sporadic" about providing HD I'd expect "other issues" might have been the cause of missing HD, but since it is very, very rare for them to miss ABC HD, I have to speculate that the loss of Telstar 4/Change of Feed to Telstar 5 could be the issue involved.

I'm just speculating of course, but I wonder if some stations missed the ABC HD last night because of "weekend considerations" and as seems to often be the case, DTV stations just don't often seem to get the same attention as is the case with analog stations.

Anyhow, sent my local stations a note last night on this just in case it helps them out. Where one of my local stations is concerned, WDTN-DT Dayton, the switching is controlled from a LIN Facility in Indianapolis, so I also wonder(again, just speculating) if there could have been a breakdown in communications where info on Telstar 4 failure is concerned.

Haven't aimed the antenna at Columbus, but I do note that at 9:15pm tonight, WCPO-DT Cincinnati Does have ABC HD for MNF Game, but WDTN-DT Dayton has the SD feed, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dgomer,

This is interesting ... Aimed Antenna towards Columbus, and at 10pm I'm Receiving WSYX-DT 13(ABC Columbus) Just fine tonight.

My Zenith HDV420 is Decoding Audio just fine, HD looks fine, but I am seeing some odd stuttering on the video during commercials.

My DTC100 IS NOT decoding Audio from WSYX-DT.

Update: Forgot to mention, I do have "off air guides"(Turns off certian PSIP functions such as channel remapping) Turned OFF on the DTC-100 -- Also, I noticed that WSYX-DT is now remapping to 6-1, first time I've noticed that, usually when I've looked for them/seen them it's 13-2, or at first, 6-13 or some such thing.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update for those whom are interested.

I heard from personel at WDTN-DT Dayton, and WCPO-DT Cincy(Again HD OK tonight from them) tonight. Both stations reported that the missing HD was related to issues related to loss of telstar 4 ... In WDTN-DT's case, their CE reported a computer(In Dayton, not indy) Didn't switch to the correct transponder for the HD feed tonight, and that they would get it straightened out for tomorrow night ...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was watching Jeopardy and wheel of fortune between 7 PM and 8 PM on ABC Monday night. These were not HD programs, but the screen was completely filled. Unlike the NBC 14:9 stuff, the Screen was filled and the images were very very good. I can see a little bit of stretching but acceptable. Even the commercials were stretched. The programs were games shows and had very little movements. At 8 PM, it was switched back to black side bars again. Is ABC doing a test of some sort ? I like that test.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vic,

What you're seeing from your local ABC station with syndicated(Wheel, Jeopardy) or local, or for perhaps any 4x3 SD programming concerning Crop/zooming or stretching/etc the 4x3 SD has nothing to do with the ABC Network feed. For instance, All my local DTV stations(ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS/etc) which upconvert SD to a ATSC 16x9 format for broadcast show 4x3 SD programming as 4x3 programming with "black bars" on the sides, and personally I think that is exactly how it should be.

All,

I thought I'd also note that a friend had mentioned another factor concerning loss of Telstar 4 and one of the problems that might have been involved for some affiliates to switch to the ABC HD feed on Telstar 5, due to failure of Telstar 4 :

It might have been difficult, and might have taken some time in some circumstances to hook their HD receiver up to their dish for Telstar 5, which was used previously for the backup ABC SD feed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nitewatchman,

It has been several weeks since WDTN has broadcast anything in HD. I've written emails to Jim Atkinson (CE) and he has answered everyone. I missed MNF because they broadcast in SD and he (Jim) assured me it would be "fixed" on Tuesday. It's Wednesday and still no HD......which makes me begin to question my equipment. Can you receive WDTN (Dayton) in HD this evening?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jon,

Yes, the problem isn't in your "set", no HD from WDTN-DT so far tonight(8-8:45pm), ABC HD from WCPO-DT Cincinnati is fine, so I guess WDTN ran into more unexpected problems, as Jim had also told me he expected the problem would be fixed by tonight as well.

BTW, No HD from WKEF-DT Dayton either, NBC HD is fine from WLWT-DT Cincinnati. Of course, from what we've seen from them "missing HD wise" it's "somewhat" expected.

So, looks like more contacting the stations is in order ...

Also, We should probably be talking about this in the Dayton thread, which is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...66#post2706066

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nitewatchman,

I'll move to that thread but I wanted to let you know I just watched Frazier on WKEF (51.1) and it looked great in HD!

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jon,

Yes, I noticed that too. The operator switched to HD Feed just when "Available in HD" banner came up for Fraizer, just as I was about to call them ... Went ahead and emailed them anyway, asking for Fox Widescreen from their "sister station" WRGT-DT as well :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.