AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get WPIX DT in Westcehster NY? I would love to watch Angel or Smallville in glorious HD.

I currently use a Silver Sensor to get CBS/FOX/UPN.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm hoping to do the same tonight. WPIX-DT is spotty for me because of the low power and the fact it's VHF. Silver Sensor is a UHF antenna and won't do much good unless you are much closer. I am assuming you need an indoor reception option like me.

First, you need a simple rabbit ear VHF antenna. If you are near a window facing the general direction of the city and have enough coax, great. If not, you will need a longer coax and probably a VHF/UHF amp or preamp. What you need to try while your STB is on ch 12, is to extend the rabbit ear antennas, but NOT ALL THE WAY. This is the mistake I made. For higher VHF channels, you'll get better reception with less extension. Extend both poles about a foot to a foot & a half, not more. Separate the two poles by about 30 degrees, no more. Move it around and see if you can find a sweet spot. I needed to stick it out my window and close the window on it to hold it in place once I found the correct orientation. If you are still having trouble, connect the antenna to your tv and tune in analog channel 13 and try to get the best reception you can, then try digital 12 again.

I'm 30 miles out, so you are closer, you should get something. Keeping it locked and watchable is the big question, I hope I can do it.

Live would be much easier with a rooftop antenna pointed toward the ESB. Oh well.

Hope this helps, let me know. Takes a lot of patience, so start well before Smallville. I'm not a big Smallville fan, I love Angel, so if I can get reception, I'm using Smallville as a test to see if it's watchable. I really wish they could boost power a little, or jump a few notches into the UHF range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.