AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is coming up on a year and I still haven't finished.
I buy things as I get the money but it has taken longer than I anticipated.

I still have yet to fire up my Panny PT4000, SVS speakers and sub,Denon 1910avr and Panny blu-ray player.

I was just wondering if I am the only one that has taken this long to finish their HT?

Come on.... somebody make me feel better about my time frame.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 /forum/post/19615533

Pshaw. You're a piker. You make me laugh. Out loud.

Come talk to me in 4 years. Yeah, that's right FIVE FREAKIN YEARS and I'm not done.

Anyone top that?

Well, that just about closes this thread -- you win hands down

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I started in 1999 and wasn't "sorta done" until 2004

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm just over a year. However, I'm also finishing my entire basement, on my own. So it's technically not really a year for the HT. However, I'm getting impatient.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wow, you guys are slackers.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I look at it like painting a battleship, you're never done even if you think you are.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'm at 3.5 years, but that includes another 1500sf of basement. Including kitchen, bath, etc. I've done all but tape and mud completely by myself. I haven't slacked much....well, unless you count the 2000 hours I've put on the projector in that time! LOL.

Big ticket items like carpet and granite are going to slow me down a little bit here at the end...but I expect completion by next fall. Of course, I reserve the right to amend that.

I bet there aren't many rooms finished in under a year if done completely by one guy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm into month 7 but like a lot of people I'm doing more than just a HT for me it has been my entire basement Gutted it of everything, electrical, plumbing windows furnace. And have been rebuilding, I hope to have my HT done (able to be enjoyed) within a few months.

And as others have pointed out I've done most of the work myself to save $$

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've been working on mine about a month and haven't finished the tear out yet. Took a break working on the kitchen floor instead.
I'm anticipating about 2 years for the HT, Bath, and fireplace room for construction only. Then another year or 2 to purchase the equipment I need.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 /forum/post/19615533

Pshaw. You're a piker. You make me laugh. Out loud.

Come talk to me in 4 years. Yeah, that's right FIVE FREAKIN YEARS and I'm not done.

Anyone top that?

LOL! Tom... it must be a Virginia thing.

I have done all the work myself like others here. Just makes me sick that my equipment will be out of date and the warrenties will run out before I get to see how they work.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I actually built my house about 6 years ago with the intent of getting going on the theater right away. That didn't happen. I bought 7 berklines 3 years ago. Four of them are still in the box and believe it or not, I never even opened them to see if they were the right chair and/or right color...crossing fingers. Bought a Sony VW40 shortly after the chairs and have since sold it due to it being out of date by time my theater was finished. Bought a Panasonic AE4000 one year ago this month and hopefully it doesn't go on eBay next year.
Bought an Onkyo 3008 this week as a motivator for me to just finish up the plans. Hopefully by next month I may actually buy some 2x4's to start construction.

I've spent plenty of time planning everything out and still not satisfied. But I'm hoping once I get the soundproofed shell up, I'll be forced to make the key decisions and just get it done.

Here's to not getting things done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I started planning 2 and a half years ago, started construction a year and a half ago. All of my equipment sat in boxes for months. I ordered my screen in December of last year, I just put it together last weekend. So don't feel bad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My build's 4 year anniversary is coming up January 20th. I started in 2007 and still plugging away. I'm working like mad to avoid having a 5th but its like trying to sprint up a sand dune....

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I started my basement finishing on Memorial day, 2008. By Memorial day 2009, I had all the drywall hung throughout the basement including the theater. I held the grand opening in September 2010.

The basement is about 1800 sf and I did all of the work myself. I survived unemployment, new job, many scouting events (I was an adult scout leader for a Cub Scout Pack and a Boy Scout Troop).

In the end, I didn't blow the budget and I wasn't in a hurry. The results speak for themselves. The family is very pleased with the new space.

Don't worry about how long it takes. Just plod along at a speed you are comfortable with (and that your budget is able to enable). You will be much happier in the end!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
You chose your thread title wisely to maximize replies. Picking something like "Anyone get their HT done in a year" would have yielded a mostly barren thread

I'm a little over 1.5 years into 900 sq ft basement project and am all done except for a screen frame and about 4 more panels in the HT.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/19617759

I started my basement finishing on Memorial day, 2008. By Memorial day 2009, I had all the drywall hung throughout the basement including the theater. I held the grand opening in September 2010.

The basement is about 1800 sf and I did all of the work myself. I survived unemployment, new job, many scouting events (I was an adult scout leader for a Cub Scout Pack and a Boy Scout Troop).

In the end, I didn't blow the budget and I wasn't in a hurry. The results speak for themselves. The family is very pleased with the new space.

Don't worry about how long it takes. Just plod along at a speed you are comfortable with (and that your budget is able to enable). You will be much happier in the end!

Nice to see another scouter using his spare time (aside from his 1 hour/week for scouting
) building such a great space. BTW did your sons earn their "drywall finishing" belt loop for thier help? My build is about half the size of yours and I'm still at it. My plodding speed is hampered because I enjoy camping too much.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts