AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading from a HD1 chip 720 x 1280 chip projector (Sharp 9000) to the InFocus 5700 (Matterhorn chip). I think the increased contrast and brightness of the 5700 will be good and the throw distance is pretty close to the Sharp so I won't have to radically modify my installation. I watch lots of DVD's and some HDTV. I'm just looking for a reasonbly priced interim projector until 3 chip DLP and/or 1080 projectors hit the market. I'm hoping that the slight loss in resolution will be made up for by better contrast, brightness and color from the 5700. Any thoughts on this idea would be appreciated.

mooneycj

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You will need to be back a minimum of 1.8x screen width or greater depending on your visual acuity to escape from screendoor with the 5700. If you have a close sitting distance relative to screen size with the 9000 you may be unhappy with a lower resolution chip. The brightness will be a major improvement but I would rate the difference in CR not significant enough to be considered a positive. So if you have a generous sitting distance relative to screen size and you need the extra brightness you may feel that the money is well spent. Although not as bright as the 5700 you may want to consider the BenQ PE8700 because you will maintain your resolution, gain a DVI in, increase brightness some, and have a significant increase in CR.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have seen both. i think you will be dissapointed. both of them have most likely the around the same contrast. the only difference is that the if5700 is brighter and much less resolution (screendoor effect is even more evident because of such brightness). you would be better off by changing your screen to a high gain material and save some money. you image will pop without the resolution loss.

sterophile measured 670:1 or something on the sharp 9k, the 5700 measured 790:1.

·
Registered
451 Posts
For me, one thing I've learned is to always go for a true upgrade and never a "lateral". Less resolution is the wrong direction. I think going from an HD1 to a Matterhorn is only going to give you a craving for for an HD2 or an HD2+.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice folks, thanks. I would consider the BenQ PE 8700, however, the short throw lens is a problem for me.

mooneycj

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Why not consider a used Sharp 10K? This projector is not only brighter than the 9K but has a significantly higher on-off CR.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Leckian, you're supposed to be about 2 times the width of the screen away anyway. And, actually, the improvement in contrast is obvious and significant. I have a 7200 and after checking out the 5700, the detail loss was surprisingly not that big of a deal. I think 5700s have better software than my 7200 which, sadly, I haven't updated since I don't have a PC laptop handy, just a Mac.

That being said, I also think it makes more sense to buy a nicer screen if you don't have one as you'd lose most of your investment twice by swapping projectors like that. Vutec is supposedly having a promo on the SilverStar. I have a Firehawk, but I hear the SilverStar is fantastic.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alimental
Leckian, you're supposed to be about 2 times the width of the screen away anyway.
You're not supposed to be anywhere. Your seating area is a personal judgment based on your own tastes.

There are some guidelines, however, and they all recommend closer than 2x screen widths back. The recommended maximum distance for the back row of a theater is about 1.54x, or 36 degrees of your view. SMPTE is similar. At these distances the limited resolution of the Matterhorn projectors is apparent.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If it is a personal judgment, then so is whether the limited resolution of the Matterhorn projectors is apparent. Can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just being pedantic, but isn't the HD2 the Mustang, not the HD1? Did the HD1 have a code name? I'm surprised that the Matterhorn doesn't seem to have a proper name, like the PAL1 or something similar. Does it? Does anyone know it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello, I am also considering the Infocus 5700 and it's hard for me to believe that screendoor would be a problem with this projector, right now I have the Panasonic TH-AE100 mated with a DaLite 119" high power screen I'm sitting 16" from the screen and while I can see screen door if I defocus slightly it does not bother me while I'm watching the movie if I look for it it's there.

So my question: will screen door really be that noticable from my seating distance or is everyone being really critical of this projector because of price and will a slight defocus cure the problem, or am I being naive thinking it will be leaps and bounds better than my Panasonic.

The reason I ask is I really don't know a lot about front projection, my only experiance is with my Panasonic which I still enjoy but I know there is better to be had and I'm ready to upgrade I looked at the Sharp 9000 10000 and 12000 at the local Ultimate Electronics and really liked the smoothness of the picture compared to my panasonic and I did not see any rainbows, although it was less than perfect conditions, I just can't understand why retailers refuse to set projectors up properly, is there not enough profit margin for them to take the time to set them or what, anyway the only other projector I am looking at is the Sony HS20 but I really think I would like to try a DLP this time. Sorry if this was to long just thinking out loud I guess, Thank You for any help.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by opieie

So my question: will screen door really be that noticable from my seating distance or is everyone being really critical of this projector because of price and will a slight defocus cure the problem, or am I being naive thinking it will be leaps and bounds better than my Panasonic.

There are a lot of very critical viewers on this board. The 5700 will definitely be smoother with less SDE than your Panasonic. Different people have different visual acuity, and some can see the SDE clearly but just aren't bothered by it. Since you are happy with the AE100's performance, I'm sure you'll be very happy with a Matterhorn projector.

Who is being really critical of the 5700 btw?

We are saying that moving from an HD1 to a Matterhorn would be a lateral move. I don't think that's being overly critical.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You know I almost did'nt put that line in my post about being critical on the 5700 being afraid it would offend someone but as you stated yourself "There are a lot of very critical viewers on this board" (also I was not referring to just this thread most of the threads on the 5700 mention screen door) and I am by no means a videophile and really needed your opinions for what the average joe viewer would think about screen door with this projector because for the most part I prefer to watch the movie and not the projector, but I also think think reading this forum has made me more critical than I used to be, I guess it's true a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think you'll find the step up in resolution and reduction in screen door (not to mention improvement in contrast and black level) from the AE100 to the 5700 to be overwhelming. It's only compared to an HD2 that it might be something of a let down. And even then, it's not dramatic. If you get the 5700, you will probably be very happy indeed. If you don't need the brightness of the 5700, there are other Matterhorn projectors with somewhat better contrast. None of them are poor choices.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello mooneycj

You didn't mention what screen size or screen you are using...

Also how many hours do you have on your bulb ?

I have owned my Sharp 9000 for 2 years now.

I used to have Denon 3800 feeding a progressiv signal via YUV to my Sharp projecting onto a 110'' Diag. Firehawk screen.

There are actually two upgrades that gave me a clearly better picture and have "delayed" the upgrade bug until 3-chip DLP or 1920x1080 DILA,SXRD,DLP's are on the market.

1. Use a HTPC with a MP-1 mod. via Input 5. Clearly better picture than YUV and NO overscan. No Chroma bug.

2. Buy a new bulb if you are high on hours.

As I mentioned above, I don't know what type of screen you are using. The combination with the Firehawk improved my "blacks" enough to keep me quiet.

I have seen several of the Matterhorn and HD2 projectors. Don't get me wrong, the HD2 projectors are better but not enough to get me exited.

Perhaps a Sharp 12K + HTPC via DVI onto a high gain screen might change my opinion :D

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I'll state my 2 cents...though the contrast may be higher, and likely the unit would be brighter, I think that it would not be a wise move. No matter how you look at it, it is going to cost you money on the whole deal, and for a lower resolution unit. Not that resolution is everything, but stepping backwords, even with other slightly improved aspects, is not something I'd recommend.

Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anthony: I have a Firehawk 92" diagonal screen, Panasonic XP 30 DVD player and Motorola 6200 HDTV decoder. My Z9000 bulb has 130 hours on it. I've not used an HTPC, but have used an external scaler (FE CS1 and a Lumagen) into input 5 (VGA). There were some enhancements and tradeoffs, the worse tradeoff being lip sync with the Lumagen. I'm currently using the Sharp's internal scaler/deinterlacer and am happy with that.

Jason: Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to stay put for awhile and let things shake out a little further. One last question/comment, however: How do the new HD2 and HD2+ DLP machines perform in terms of "temporal dithering" or "posterization?" Of all the DLP artifacts/issues, this is probably the most annoying for me. Give me the simplicity, ergonomics and reliability of the Sharp 9000 without "posterization artifact" and I'd be a happy camper. TIA

mooneycj

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the posterization effect is still there on the hd2 machines. i don't know how much less (they look quite the same to me) it is compared to the hd1 machine but yes, it is still there, not eliminated.

i haven't seen an hd2+ but that was said to have improvements in the dark scenes because of the addition of the dark green segment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.