AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 2 wireless bridges Linksys WET610N and my replay 5040 do connect to the server, but I need them to be able to share shows. The 2 bridges are connecting thru a Verizon router which is 802.11b so my question is if I do buy a Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WRT320N) would the replays be able to see each other and will show sharing work any better. If I won't have any luck with getting the replays to work wirelessly your input will save me the money and time trying it out.

Thanks

· Registered
841 Posts
I have five 5000 series ReplayTV boxes and a DVArchive server box at home. I have a DLink DIR-655 Wireless N router wired to the DVArchive server, while the ReplayTV boxes are in two groups connected to DLink DAP-1555 wireless N access points. I can stream from the DVArchive server to any ReplayTV and it generally works smoothly. I cannot stream smoothly between ReplayTV boxes across the wireless network, as that requires passing through the router and two wireless links. If the DLink N hardware worked like my old Buffalo G gear, the link would not have to pass through the router and go directly from access point to access point. Alas, it does not.
So, depending on how good your wireless links are, it may work across two bridges, or not.

What amazes me about wireless networking is how slow a wireless link is that claims to be 130 Mbps, or as I have seen at home, 270 Mbps. I'm lucky to get 50 Mbps real-world data transfer on the link that claims 200 Mbps.

Show sharing (sending a show to another ReplayTV via IVS as a download) works fine over any wireless network.

Bye.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Wireless is junk. I also used Buffalo for a while and it worked well enough, but I replaced it all with Motorola boxes that multiplex ethernet across the coax signal cable. Nothing beats hard wire.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess my only choice is to at least connect one box to the router directly and see if that flies. Can you plz tell me what is the model of the Motorola ethernet multiplexer box and could I use that on the Verizon FIOS coax cable without causing interference. I guess the main problem here is the number of hops that it is doing between the 2 boxes.

Thanks

· Registered
2,556 Posts
I don't think you can buy them (NIM100) anyplace other than eBay. They are what Verizon uses to link computers in a household with Fios.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.