AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my video card but not sure at this point.... mostly want to play doom 3 when it comes out, and of course my current games at higher image quality settings

I would like to know the quality of the TV Tuner and PVR Functions

I am thinking of this also because it seems like a better buy then the 9700 Pro. It has a built in tuner, comes with the remote and has the HDTV adapter with it...... although I wonder if the HDTV is better or works diffrently than the current dongle I have since it hooks to the TV out........

right now I have the ATI Radeon 8500 and the HDTV Dongle which is working great so far for me.... But I would have to buy the HDTV adapter for the 9700 pro which will run me $49 after shipping so I would almost be at the cost of the 9700AIW anyway....... :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got mine in today. It's waiting for me when I get home from work.

I'll install mine tonight. It's going into a Shuttle SS51G.

Hopefully all will go well.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PLMK How you like it Are you going to hook it to your HDTV? It confused me for a while how the HDTV adapter was different and had 5 cables total, PYrYb, audio, Digital Coax lol. Kept thinking the orange one was for the TV but couldnt figure out for what :)

I really want this for TV Viewing and Timeshifting/recording. Right now I have the WinTV Stereo and am using the S-video in and it looks pretty good when I use d-scaler (about the same as composit straight to the TV)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Smooth installation. No problems so far. I installed it on my

Shuttle SS51G

2.53GHZ 512MB RAM

120Gig drive.

ATI AIW 9700 Pro

WIN XP SP1

Installed the catalyst drivers/software. Remote wonder works fine.

TV Tuner with Gemstar listing is also working.

Played UT 2003, Counter-Strike, Medal of Honor all worked fine.

Sweet FPS. I ran 3Dmark and got a score of 14,126.

DVD playback was nice.

I'll try out the HDTV dongle tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will go as smooth hooking it up to my Sony 40inch Direct View HDTV.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Still no review of this card combined with a projector? I'm waiting for someone to check the problems of the previous models.. gamma for one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Aztlan,

I noticed you had a shuttle computer system and I'm looking at the same set-up as you have and I was wondering what you think of your system, are there any drawbacks or anything or has it been all positive?

Also, I want to use the ATI AIW 9700 pro for it's PVR functions and I was wondering what the picture quality is like when using the t.v as the monitor? Do you also use your t.v to display other computer functions such as websites and e-mail, and if so what is the picture quality like?

Thanks a lot and sorry for all the questions, it's my first time putting a computer into my home theater.

Becks

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welcome to the board becks :)

Are you using a HDTV or Standard TV?

My WinTV Card at 800x600 using svideo in to the tuner and s-video out to my TV looked about the same as the TV alone.... slight difference

On My HDTV using the component adapter it still looks good :) but the S-video out from my video card to the HDTV Suxorz :) Gets reprocessed and upscaled :(

See I want to upgrade my video card and would like a better tuner and PVR Functions. But at the same time I would like to get a HDTV Tuner card eventhough there is only one station that will be broadcasting soon in my area :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks Nintari

I'm using a standard t.v (has s-video, component etc.) right now :( but will be getting an HDTV soon :)

Becks

·
Registered
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by becks

Hey Aztlan,

I noticed you had a shuttle computer system and I'm looking at the same set-up as you have and I was wondering what you think of your system, are there any drawbacks or anything or has it been all positive?

I just recently built a Shuttle SB51G system. IMHO it's worth the small price difference to get the SB51G with the Intel chipset rather than the SS51G with the SIS chipset.

Before I built this system I dragged one of my office PCs over to my living room and tested the s-video output on my Radeon 8500 card. It was really awful. After that I did some research and found a lot of comments about the Conexant CX25871 being the best chip for s-video output. There were also a lot of people warning that s-video out from a PC video card would never look as good as a standalone DVD player.

I finally settled on the PNY Verto GeForce4 Ti4600 video card because it appeared to be the fastest and quietest card using the Conexant chip. I was very pleasantly suprised. Using a software DVD player and the s-video out from this card seems very close if not equal to the quality of my standalone DVD player. It definitely blows the Radeon 8500 away in picture quality.

The one drawback with getting a Conexant CX25871 based card is that you won't get video input. The exception might be the Abit Siluro Ti4600 card. One article mentioned that it used a newer revision of the chip that supports video input, but I can't confirm that. I decided to go with a separate PCI card for video input (currently the Xcapture card). I figured there was no way to get the best of everything on a single card.

I'm using the built-in optical digital output to drive an external DD/DTS decoder and that's working really well. I don't see any need to add a sound card.

Everything else on the Shuttle system has also worked out great. I got a 2.4Ghhz P4, 1GB of Corsair RAM, a 120GB Maxtor hard drive, HP DVD+RW drive, Gyration wireless keyboard and mouse, and a Streamzap IR remote control. It went together smoother than just about any other system I've built. I even got the custom carrying case that Shuttle makes so I can carry the computer around as a portable theater now and then :)

Just yesterday I added a D-Link DWL-900AP+ wireless access point. It can run as a wireless client so that allowed me to hook the Shuttle up to my network just by plugging it into the built-in ethernet rather than having to use a PCI or USB based wireless adapter. This solution doesn't require any special drivers, which is nice.

--

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
becks

I like my SS51G. If the SB51 was out at the same time I purchased my SS51G, I would probably have purchased the SB51. I haven't had any problems with the pc. Only thing is getting use to it being so small. It's really tight in there, plus I have big hands. But thats fine.

Haven't tried recording anything using the pvr yet. No tv out yet, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm having a problem with the HDTV output. I can get overlay to work fine on the pc monitor, but on my HDTV TV all I get is a black screen. I get my desktop, but when I open windvd window, it's just black. But on my pc monitor I can watch the movie. This is not just dvd's any mpeg or avi.

Both pc monitor and HDTV are connected at the same time. I don't think this is a macrovision problem.

Rez I'm running is 640 X 480. I tried different resolutions same problem.

I'll reload directx after I get some sleep in. Any of you guys have any ideas?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
850 Posts
If it's an overlay problem (which in all probability does sound like it), and you're feeling adventurous, try installing DX9 beta - and use the VMR9 (which doesn't use overlay). This way, it should work, if you can see the desktop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am now able to watch mpeg1 & avi's on overlay from my HDTV. I disabled "use overlays" under video accelation under Tools>Options>Performance Tab>Video Acceleration>Advanced. But I still can't see dvd's. I'm running 640X432P because that's the only rez I could get to run perfectly on my Sony 40inch. Any suggestions?? I tried using media player with mpeg2 codec, Windvd and ATI dvd player. None of these display the dvd movie on my hdtv, but they work on my pc monitor.

Is there a setting I'm missing? I looked all over but there is no where I can manually set resolution for my dvd output. Is there such a feaute?

I keep reading about people using different video filters, how can you do that?

I looked into loading DirectX 9, when I tried installing it, it informed me that this ver would expire in January, if I wasn't an official beta tester. I would not be able to uninstall it. I would have to reinstall windows.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aztlan
I'm having a problem with the HDTV output. I can get overlay to work fine on the pc monitor, but on my HDTV TV all I get is a black screen. I get my desktop, but when I open windvd window, it's just black. But on my pc monitor I can watch the movie. This is not just dvd's any mpeg or avi.

Both pc monitor and HDTV are connected at the same time. I don't think this is a macrovision problem.

Rez I'm running is 640 X 480. I tried different resolutions same problem.

I'll reload directx after I get some sleep in. Any of you guys have any ideas?

Am I missing something?
Theres something weird with the ATI drivers and using dual displays with video, I haven't figured out if theres a real fix for it, but I can give you a backwards way :) I have an R8500 64mb retail which has VGA DVI and svideo/comp outputs, in order to get your tv to play the video, you need to go to the display control panel in the advanced options and set your tvoutput to your primary display, but when doing this, your monitor wont show the video :p I haven't messed with it any more then just figuring that one out though.

--Brandon

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for the HDTV adapter you can only use the HDTV output nothing else. also you can not get 640x432 to work at all :( same with 846x468 and then 1776x1000. Unless you open the media file first under a correct resolution then go back to the above resolutions....Noticed that a while ago and never got an answer back from ATI on the matter. But again You have to have no other display hooked to the adapter than the HDTV adapter according to ATI.

The main thing I want to know about is the image quality of the tuner of the 9700 AIW is it comparable to my WinTV-Stereo using dscaler? Or Better..... Perhaps a comparison amoung other tuners as well.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Brandon, thanks for the tip. I made my HDTV the primary display and now overlay works on my HDTV with the pc monitor plugged in and my HDTV plugged in. But overlay on my PC monitor doesn't work, but that's fine. Now when I run Windvd or ATI DVD player It won't let me play them because my rez is not 480i or 480p but is 640X432. Any way around that? If I switch to 640X480 DVDs play, but they are not centered and have overscan.

Nintari thanks for the info. I am able to have both displays active and have dvd's play on my HDTV only. I'll give 846X468 and 1776X1000 a try to see if I can get a bigger windows desktop with no overscan. I see on your site you use 864X648 rez, I'll try that one as well. Is your TV a 4:3?

I have never used dscaler so I wouldn't know about the quality. But I can compare the tuner to the creative labs tuner from there dgital vcr card.

I'll have to get some RG6 to run from my splitter to the ATi tuner. I'll let you know if you want.

:)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can have both active with the 9700AIW???

Very Very Interesting..........

You cant do that at all on the 8500

I ment 864x648 :) not 468 :)

Let me reword what I wrote earlier since Ihave no idea why I wrote all of that......

The 8500 will not display any video for me at 640x432

864x648 will only display video if I run the video at a different res first like 640x480, then while the video is playing switch to 864x648 close the video and replay it...??? I know that one is confusing :)

I mainly run video at 1776x1000 now even DVD Movies using DVD Idle. I havent updated my site in a verry very long time and lots of things have changed since then :) I just go numb when writing web pages and cant stare at the screen for too long :)

One other thing I have noticed is if you create a custom res in powerstrip that is interlaced powerstrip will disable tile based rendering :( I right now use 1280x960 as my primary game resolution I have many custom resolutions that I use so that I have no overscan. I can post some for you to try if you like, but my TV seems to be very tollerant on timings :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here are some timings....

Bit of warning though... on my system powerstrip will disable tile based rendering for all resolutions when any of the interlaced resolutions are added. This will slow 3d graphics down. My Typical 3dmark score was around 10k but when this is used I het around 5k... However all my games still seem to be very very playable at 1280x960 :)

All of these resolutions are also not any good for desktop viewing since once they are enabled you'll notice an odd desktop panning effect and an overlapping of the desktop. In 3d games hough this is not a problem and all resolutons display as normal and none of the below will have any overscan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1280x1024 @ 1080i

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1280x1024=1280,82,128,110,1024,36,11,53,54090,9

Generic timing details for 1280x1024:

HFP=82 HSW=128 HBP=110 kHz=34 VFP=36 VSW=11 VBP=53 Hz=30

Linux modeline parameters:

"1280x1024" 54.090 1280 1362 1490 1600 1024 1060 1071 1124 interlace +hsync +vsync

1280x960 @ 1080i

1280x960=1280,98,96,142,960,68,29,71,54843,9

Generic timing details for 1280x960:

HFP=98 HSW=96 HBP=142 kHz=34 VFP=68 VSW=29 VBP=71 Hz=30

"1280x960" 54.843 1280 1378 1474 1616 960 1028 1057 1128 interlace +hsync +vsync

1024x768 @ 1080i (lots of underscan cant get working at 720p :( )

1024x768=1024,123,64,221,768,164,29,164,48392,9

Generic timing details for 1024x768:

HFP=123 HSW=64 HBP=221 kHz=34 VFP=164 VSW=29 VBP=164 Hz=30

"1024x768" 48.392 1024 1147 1211 1432 768 932 961 1125 interlace +hsync +vsync

800x600 @ 720p

800x600=800,132,24,268,600,65,6,79,55800,1

Generic timing details for 800x600:

HFP=132 HSW=24 HBP=268 kHz=46 VFP=65 VSW=6 VBP=79 Hz=61

"800x600" 55.800 800 932 956 1224 600 665 671 750 +hsync +vsync

720x540

720x540=720,21,64,43,540,0,30,0,28950,1

Generic timing details for 720x540:

HFP=21 HSW=64 HBP=43 kHz=34 VFP=0 VSW=30 VBP=0 Hz=61

"720x540" 28.950 720 741 805 848 540 540 570 570 +hsync +vsync

720x500 (no overscan on this one !!!) @540p

720x500=720,49,72,55,500,20,4,39,30018,1

Generic timing details for 720x500:

HFP=49 HSW=72 HBP=55 kHz=34 VFP=20 VSW=4 VBP=39 Hz=60

"720x500" 30.018 720 769 841 896 500 520 524 563 +hsync +vsync

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi nintari, thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to try your timings. I'll try them out this weekend. I have a 4:3 HDTV. I want to be able to use the whole screen with no overscan. I was wondering if I could run a rez bigger than 640X432 and still have no overscan. Like 540p or 1080i, but still use the whole screen not just 16:9 screen.

I read Mark's Guide on custom resolutions, but I'm still a little confused. I don't quite understand his resolution in a resolution instructions. If I want 1080i, should I run a 1920X1080 resolution

then when in that resolution open up Powerstrip and go in to Advanced Timings options>Custom Resolutions the set a custom resolution of 1024X768 following Mark's instructions. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.