AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have or seen the new JVC 70" Dila sets? If so how do you like it? I saw the 61" set which I thought lokked great with pixel boxing on fast several scenes with explosions. I wonder if this is was an anomaly?

JVC was smart to only make this set 64" wide which is very doable. The new Sony SXRD is 66" wide and it's only a 60" set. The larget sets have an impact that can't be re-created on smaller sets.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Wow, are you sure it's the new model that you saw? Where was this?

The blocking you saw was probably just the source.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read just a few minutes ago that if you turn off a setting for cinema pro, I think, it will remove any artifacts seen in fast moving scenes. I'll have to try this in the store.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy
Does anyone here have or seen the new JVC 70" Dila sets? If so how do you like it? I saw the 61" set which I thought lokked great with pixel boxing on fast several scenes with explosions. I wonder if this is was an anomaly?

JVC was smart to only make this set 64" wide which is very doable. The new Sony SXRD is 66" wide and it's only a 60" set. The larget sets have an impact that can't be re-created on smaller sets.
You most likely saw the 61" Z/G series set with the older 720p chip. The 61" and 70" F series is due out later this year, followed by a 56" in early 2006.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I saw the older model. The 70" JVC can be had in the mid 3k range shipped. That is a tempting number for sure. I just think that JVC needs to improve CR and quality control so it make make sense to wait for the 1080P sets. Have you seen a new set?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy
Yes. I saw the older model. The 70" JVC can be had in the mid 3k range shipped. That is a tempting number for sure. I just think that JVC needs to improve CR and quality control so it make make sense to wait for the 1080P sets. Have you seen a new set?
A&BTV in Austin has the 70". It looks like a LCOS....too bright and less than desirable black level.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I saw the 70" at Bernie's in CT last week. It looked great with an HDTV feed of Hogan's Hero's. First time I've ever been impressed with a JVC D-iLA. Around the corner was the 52" and it didn't look nearly as good. One thing I noted is that the vertical viewing angle is extremely tight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The current D-ILA look like garbage, why do people believe the new 1080p ones will be any different? Is JVC planning to use better optics or do the new chips have improved black levels? There are a lot of people claiming the new sets might even be as good as SXRD ones -- but it is very hard to believe judging from their current LCOS offerings. Atleast with Sony, the Qualia foretells of superb picture quality of its little brothers. Is the best thing that JVC has going for it price and form factor?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SlickVik: You may have seen the older set with a bad feed. I've seen the set with a great feed and the picture was awesome. The black levels were on par with the Sony LCD next to it. A 70" in the mid 3k range is awfully tempting. I don't think any of the newer sets are going to benefit that much for 1080P but newer technology goes into these set too and that is what I want wait and see if there is a vast improvement in PQ. If there isn't I'll probably go with the 70" 720P set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.