AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know this is a long shot but....

My CB3 has been idle for ages due to a botched software upgrade. Everything works apart from the Dolby Digital / DTS board.

Since I am a movie watcher and very rare music listener, this is a show stopper for me.

Does anyone have a broken/damaged/unused CB3 that they would be interested in selling me their DD/DTS board from?

You would receive a fair price and my eternal gratitude!

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Ken,

I presume you have looked into having the faulty board repaired? Was the cost too high?

Cheers,

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 /forum/post/18187658

Hi all,

I know this is a long shot but....

My CB3 has been idle for ages due to a botched software upgrade. Everything works apart from the Dolby Digital / DTS board.

Since I am a movie watcher and very rare music listener, this is a show stopper for me.

Does anyone have a broken/damaged/unused CB3 that they would be interested in selling me their DD/DTS board from?

You would receive a fair price and my eternal gratitude!

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there,

Sorry, yes! I live overseas and as such it would cost me approx $2000 insured shipping round trip. I'm going to have to pay this when the HDMI option becomes available but I refuse to pay it twice.

I contacted Theta and they DO NOT sell these boards separately... :-(

My only real option is to purchase a used board.

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help Dave!

I'm still looking.

**Just to clarify, I will need a CB3a version card (your CB3 must be on software version 2xx).

Ken

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 /forum/post/18193975

Thanks for your help Dave!

I'm still looking.

**Just to clarify, I will need a CB3a version card (your CB3 must be on software version 2xx).

Ken

I'm guessing you were told by Dave or somebody 'in the know' that the DD/DTS card had to be from the exact version of CBIII that you are running, since you all of a sudden became very specific about where the card comes from.

I myself did not know that where this particular card comes from was so critical. If, in fact, this is true and I don't doubt that this is probably the case, then I guess the CBII on A'gon that their selling as a parts piece for $850 or they'll sell any part of it, will do you no good at all.

I just figured that I'd mention it, just in case this was not truely the case or there was some other part you or someone else could use from it, or someone might just want to buy a cheap CBII and have it fixed, which means having it upgraded to CBIII status.

So, just in case, it's at http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-Casablanca-II

The guy, IMO, is a little out of touch with the new ATI/Theta, since he mentions the cost of repair/upgrade @ ''$2500 plus the $850 for this unit come to a total of $3350'', whereas the Theta website has an M.S.R.P. for the repair/upgrade @ $4470. He also says, ''For some reason, it does not turn on and it is good for parts''. So I'm starting to think that maybe he just blew a fuse or did something simple to overcome and perhaps the whole unit might be just fine, even if just a spare for a waiting III owner, of course, no way for us to know for sure since he certainly does'nt!

·
Registered
709 Posts
The real question to me is why won't Theta just sell you a new board? Perhaps they don't keep an inventory of spares, but it seems a little harsh.

Is this an entirely separate board you need or part of a larger one that would require solder work to install?

Sean

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there,

Bigbrother - Theta themselves told me that the boards are specific to the models. Any version 3xx software DD/DTS board will not be recognized in a v2xx software CB3. Thanks for the link but again a CB2 DD/DTS board is not compatible.

sierra - Theta refuse to sell me a new board. They said that they insist on installing it themselves because they don't know what else could possible be wrong with my CB3, after my botched software upgrade. I begged and pleaded but they refused. It is s separate board that simply clicks into the main motherboard, just like a PC.

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ken, the only way I know to get an individual board is to have an understanding dealer who will work with you. Will this solve your overall problem not a clue.

As to installation your absolutely correct. I installed the video card. Just slid it in and screw it down. Taking precautions against static, bending pins etc of course. Are there any other software changes required for your board after install? Haven't a clue.

Only problem encountered? Theta shipped the dealer the wrong board first time. The sent a board matching the original CB I shipped for me, which was trashed in shipping, instead of the replacement unit. My dealer had sent them the correct S/N but they knew better, even though they hadn't updated their database when shipping a second CB.

And before you asked he got out of the business some years back.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 /forum/post/18187897

Sorry, yes! I live overseas and as such it would cost me approx $2000 insured shipping round trip.

The 2000.00 is for shipping,parts and labor? I can't imagine 2000.00 just for shipping?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, $2000 for shipping only from Qatar. It goes by weight; for insured up to $4000 value it is $22/lb each way. So at about 45lbs this processor is not cheap to ship!

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts