AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I I am planning to hook up my PS4 and PC using two separate Active HDMI cables to my Harman Kardon AVR1510 and then another Active HDMI cables from the AVR to my 4K TV.

I am just wondering if this will cause any problems because I think all Active HDMI cables doesn't act like a normal HDMI cable.

These are the Active HDMI cables I ordered:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=12962&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024014&p_id=13590&seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
21,369 Posts
AFAIK... only one active cable is recommended from source to destination.

·
Registered
16,678 Posts
There is nothing magical about an active HDMI cable. They are just like a passive HDMI cable only they have a small chipset in the sink end (tv side) that draws a little power from the HDMI input so that the signal can be sent longer than 25' without any degradation in quality. The caveat to that is what kind of signal your source is pushing and at what distance. Also, because of the active termination, an active cable can not, or should not be daisy-chained like you can a passive cable. You will invariably end up with signal problems in most cases.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Active HDMI cable (AVR to Display) - until you try it in your system it is difficult to predict what will happen.

Active HDMI cable (Source > AVR) - there is no need to go 'active' on such a short cable run.

50' HDMI cable - once you start to Output 2160p (4K UHD) at full colour processing your safest bet is a Fibre HDMI cable.

If you are 'installing' the long cable ensure you handle it with care and ensure you can easily replace it should it fail or cause you problems.

Joe

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AFAIK... only one active cable is recommended from source to destination.
There is nothing magical about an active HDMI cable. They are just like a passive HDMI cable only they have a small chipset in the sink end (tv side) that draws a little power from the HDMI input so that the signal can be sent longer than 25' without any degradation in quality. The caveat to that is what kind of signal your source is pushing and at what distance. Also, because of the active termination, an active cable can not, or should not be daisy-chained like you can a passive cable. You will invariably end up with signal problems in most cases.
Active HDMI cable (AVR to Display) - until you try it in your system it is difficult to predict what will happen.

Active HDMI cable (Source > AVR) - there is no need to go 'active' on such a short cable run.

50' HDMI cable - once you start to Output 2160p (4K UHD) at full colour processing your safest bet is a Fibre HDMI cable.

If you are 'installing' the long cable ensure you handle it with care and ensure you can easily replace it should it fail or cause you problems.

Joe
Thanks for the quick replies... I know there will be chances that it will not work with my set up. But I was reading some reviews of these cables that I ordered and some said it worked, it should depend on my receiver it it has stopping power or something...

I really don't want/need Active HDMI cables, but I was having a problem finding any [email protected] HDMI cables that comes in 50ft on Monoprice. :(

·
Registered
16,678 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies... I know there will be chances that it will not work with my set up. But I was reading some reviews of these cables that I ordered and some said it worked, it should depend on my receiver it it has stopping power or something...

I really don't want/need Active HDMI cables, but I was having a problem finding any [email protected] HDMI cables that comes in 50ft on Monoprice. :(
The problem you are experiencing is what a lot of folks are experiencing now. Pushing 4k @60Hz to 50' is a problem unless you use a passive cable with at least a 24AWG or thicker cable, which is a hassle because of bend radius and increased strain on the HDMI input. Some have had to use a fiber optical cable. There apparently is one cable sold in Australia I believe that seems to work fine at those distances but we've only had one report, and I'm not even sure if it is available here. Hopefully the poster will see your post and respond.

I don't know about the stopping power of your receiver (what ever that is). The problem is more than likely the distance, unless your receiver is old (I didn't look it up). At 50' are you running in-wall and if so, are you using a conduit?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem you are experiencing is what a lot of folks are experiencing now. Pushing 4k @60Hz to 50' is a problem unless you use a passive cable with at least a 24AWG or thicker cable, which is a hassle because of bend radius and increased strain on the HDMI input. Some have had to use a fiber optical cable. There apparently is one cable sold in Australia I believe that seems to work fine at those distances but we've only had one report, and I'm not even sure if it is available here. Hopefully the poster will see your post and respond.

I don't know about the stopping power of your receiver (what ever that is). The problem is more than likely the distance, unless your receiver is old (I didn't look it up). At 50' are you running in-wall and if so, are you using a conduit?
This is the new 50' [email protected] cable that I just ordered:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=12962&seq=1&format=2

The reviewers there said they have no problem with it at 50' and get [email protected] But again... I am running it from a PC to Receiver then to TV, so I don't know :eek:

By the way, I am not running them in-wall.

I am also worried

·
Registered
16,678 Posts
Link didn't work, at least not for me. Is that 50' total, or 50' from PC to receiver and then another distance to the tv?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Link didn't work, at least not for me. Is that 50' total, or 50' from PC to receiver and then another distance to the tv?
The 50' is from PC to AVR. There is another Active HDMI from AVR to TV.

Thanks Ratman

·
Registered
16,678 Posts
Link worked. Thanks R-man. It's the Cabernet series which we've seen before. Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Link worked. Thanks R-man. It's the Cabernet series which we've seen before. Good luck.
Is it bad? Haha

·
Registered
16,678 Posts
Some have had success, others have not. If you want a definitive answer on "this cable will work for sure" you're not going to get one. Trial and error, and pay attention to the return policies.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some have had success, others have not. If you want a definitive answer on "this cable will work for sure" you're not going to get one. Trial and error, and pay attention to the return policies.
I see.. I am keeping my fingers crossed :/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts