AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone who owns the Lost In Translation HD-DVD recently picked up the new BD release and is able to do a few comparisons?

Wasn't that fantastic a transfer to begin with given that the film had a soft look from the get go, but before I rebuy I'm just looking to make sure they didn't do to it what they did to the Thing.

EDIT: Comparison in Post 5 , with mouseovers .

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
As always, thanks for the screenshots.

The BD has better resolved grain. The result is a slightly better image but one that I really don't see any difference in detail worth mentioning. The HD DVD just a tad softer and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference while watching.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'm not seeing any additional fine detail, with a 1080p monitor and my face planted against the screen. I can see better grain structure but I see no detail in one that is not in another. If I didn't own the HD DVD already, I would buy the BD but since I already own the former, this one isn't getting douple dipped. I'm starting to see a pattern of where Universal is leaving these catalog titles alone. It's been a while since I've seen a really botched one where they made the BD worse than the HD DVD.

Too bad there isn't a HD DVD vs BD comparison overview thread which categories common titles according to which ones are better on HD DVD, which ones are better on BD but so slight you need to examine caps for minutes on end very closely to find any additional detail, ones that show more detail that but still not a big enough to make you want to fork over more money unless it's your favorite movie (the 'good enough' category), and ones that are such an improvement as to where it's worth it to buy the title over. Such a thread would be invaluable to someone like me. This one would fall in the 'so slight' category for me along with titles like 'Serenity'. 'Breakfast Club' would fall in the 'good enough' category (there's clearly more detail in the BD but the HD DVD is still nice looking enough), and I hate to say it but 'Tremors' BD looks so much better than the HD DVD that I will probably buy it when it hits the $5 mark because even though it is still a mess, it's so much better than the HD DVD. I can't wait for the 'Cat People' BD to come out. Hopefully they'll leave that one alone because I'm pretty sure it could look better.

Apologies if I sound antagonistic here. I'm just moody today I guess.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I see an ever so slight improvement in the smallest of fine object detail. Similar to what I saw out of American Gangster. In motion, it'd be indistinguishable - hell, I have to look long and hard at the still shots to find real differences in detail and they're very slight - almost all of what I can easily see is the difference in film grain. It looks like the HD-DVD went through a filter pass that went after high frequency detail with a very light touch - unless that look is just the effect of encoding at a low bitrate.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/19633416

unless that look is just the effect of encoding at a low bitrate.

Good ol' VC1 smoothing. The HD-DVD I-frames look about the same as the Blu-ray B and P frames, so it's encoding related

In motion the HD DVD looks constantly smoother, almost waxy

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/19633416

I see an ever so slight improvement in the smallest of fine object detail. Similar to what I saw out of American Gangster. In motion, it'd be indistinguishable - hell, I have to look long and hard at the still shots to find real differences in detail and they're very slight - almost all of what I can easily see is the difference in film grain. It looks like the HD-DVD went through a filter pass that went after high frequency detail with a very light touch - unless that look is just the effect of encoding at a low bitrate.

It's a soft movie and not much is really going on (no fast movements, pans, or anything) so I think it helps things out on the HD DVD end, being more forgiving for the much lower bitrate perhaps? Of the caps above, I do think the skin textures are a bit more pronounced on the BD caps and there's a light blue shirt which the grain looks better. I doubt that I would be able to tell while watching the movie.

On 'American Gangster', I might pick that one up for the extended cut at some time. I've held off since it isn't really the 'director's cut', and I don't like double dipping. Most likely I'll buy it at some point, though, because I can't show personal restraint.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81
I'm not seeing any additional fine detail, with a 1080p monitor and my face planted against the screen. I can see better grain structure but I see no detail in one that is not in another.
Grain has been wiped. If grain is wiped, some fine detail has to have gone with it - there's no magic way to wipe grain.

It's not tough to see using the mouseover pics. Slight, but there. 2nd one is two B frames, and it can be seen.

I guarantee with the outdoor city shots (at night, when they're running around) of Japan, which more detail can be seen most easily in this one, it's even easier to spot.

·
Registered
14,869 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins /forum/post/19631886

Awesome man, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm glad it didn't get Thing'd.

BD clearly has a slight edge... better grain structure, tiny amount of additional fine detail, slightly less smoothed over:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/10958

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/10959

These are the kind of releases that make me buy the blu...I know it's not a huge increase in detail, but at least it's noticeable. The shot where ScarJo is looking at the pink flowers...there is lots more detail in her v-neck sweater.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A few grabs from the French blu-ray (AVC, Region Free, Forced French subtitles):

Most caps match those posted by eric.exe. There's a very slight difference between the French blu-ray and the US one: the French seems to have no DNR at all while the US still has a little (although much less than the HD DVD).

Comparison FR blu-ray / US blu-ray (4x zoom)
Comparison FR blu-ray / US HD DVD (4x zoom)

Direct links:

- Zoomed frame (from the least DNR to the most) : FR Blu-ray / US Blu-ray / FR HD DVD

- Full frame : FR Blu-ray / US Blu-ray / US HD DVD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.