AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have touched some of the newer marantz and Denon units at Best Buy and they are all incredibly hot. I know onkyo had a problem with overheating. Seems like some threads noted that marantz and Denon put the power supply right below the hdmi board?

Has anyone actually ran their unit hard and had it overheat and or burn out on them?

Has me somewhat concerned for the longevity of a unit I will be buying soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am on my 3rd Denon and yes they run hot but have not failed. All were upgrades.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I have touched some of the newer marantz and Denon units at Best Buy and they are all incredibly hot. I know onkyo had a problem with overheating. Seems like some threads noted that marantz and Denon put the power supply right below the hdmi board?

Has anyone actually ran their unit hard and had it overheat and or burn out on them?

Many people do not ventilate their equipment location adequately; this is quite important.

Shelves should be completely open, front and back; no back panels or front doors. You want the bottom of the gear at least 1 inch above the shelf. AIR MUST BE FREE TO MOVE!!

A small, silent "muffin" fan just above the hottest part of the equipment at the rear will help a lot. Low RPM fans work fine and are quietest.

Stick rubber stick-on feet on the bottom of amplifiers or AVRs that are 1 inch tall (or you can cut strips of wood that are 1 inch square and sit the equipment on them, positioning them at each side and running front to rear. DO NOT BLOCK VENT holes in the cabinet.

Also, poor ground connections on RCA Cables can cause amplifiers to overheat, because the amp can break into ultrasonic oscillation and it can overheat the amp and even burn out tweeters in some cases. This can happen on just one channel, or more than one, where the poor ground cable is. Sometimes the really nice-looking RCA connectors are the ones that do not make a clean ground contact. They are too rigid and not springy enough. Connectors that make a good ground are hard to push in; beware of RCA connectors that slide into place easily.

It is ultrasonic, so you can't hear it; the only way to check for it is to look at the amp output with an oscilloscope.

It may cause the amp to sound really bad, however, because the ultrasonic crap can interfere with normal amplification.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
While i agree that ventilation is needed, however, in the case of best buy, yamahas, pioneers, marantz and denons are in the exact same cabinets doing the exact same thing and denons and marantz are by far, by far are the hottest with yamahas being the coolest of the bunch. While the conditions at best buy are less than ideal, they are indicative of design issues that higher end denons may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was actually at Best Buy last weekend auditioning B&W CM 10's, and I noticed the exact same thing. In their display theyve got a vertical row of Pio Elites, Denons, Marantz, and Yamaha Aventages (in the Magnolia test room). All receivers are mounted exactly the same with the same amount of room in between shelves, open backs and fronts, and the Dennons and Marantz were incredibly hot. The Pio's were less hot but still hot, and the Aventages (most notably the 3050 I was auditioning heavily) were MUCH cooler.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5 Denons, 6 Marantz over 10 years. No issue with any of them.. warm perhaps, but nothing to match the Onkyos..
Thanks for the reply. I figured if they had overheating problems like onkyo the owners would be feelings th effects by now. Not to mention the ones in Best Buy don't burnout either, so if they stay strong in Best Buy even though they are warmer than the Yamaha, no reason it shouldn't be fine with proper ventilation at home.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Yes, Denon's run hotter - - at least in my experience. Noticeably so.

I've had Pioneer Elite and Yamaha AVR's and they are considerably cooler.

I solved the problem by buying a couple of AC Infinity fans and the Thermostat (USB also with plug adaptor) to keep the unit cool.

Based on the recommendation of AC Infinity, I set the Thermostat at 88 degrees Fahrenheit and it never gets hotter than 84 degrees. On my Denon X5200, the Front Left Quadrant is the hottest. In fact, you can put you fingers underneath the unit, you can see how much hotter it is than the top. Not surprisingly, this is where the Power Transformer is located.

The AC Infinity fans will do the trick quite nicely!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
My Denon x5200 ran warm. My 8802a doesn't. I use usb powered laptop coolers from Amazon on all my receivers/amps. Pickup a cheap usb powered hub and let them run nonstop. Mine have been running for years.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Yes, Denon's run hotter - - at least in my experience. Noticeably so.

I've had Pioneer Elite and Yamaha AVR's and they are considerably cooler.

I solved the problem by buying a couple of AC Infinity fans and the Thermostat (USB also with plug adaptor) to keep the unit cool.

Based on the recommendation of AC Infinity, I set the Thermostat at 88 degrees Fahrenheit and it never gets hotter than 84 degrees. On my Denon X5200, the Front Left Quadrant is the hottest. In fact, you can put you fingers underneath the unit, you can see how much hotter it is than the top. Not surprisingly, this is where the Power Transformer is located.

The AC Infinity fans will do the trick quite nicely!
I'm running the same fans on my x6200 with thermostat set at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I've never seen higher then 87 degrees with fan speed set on medium.
What fan speed are you running yours at?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I'm running the same fans on my x6200 with thermostat set at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I've never seen higher then 87 degrees with fan speed set on medium.
What fan speed are you running yours at?
Since my x5200 does not have a back "USB" port, I ended up with the separate USB "plug-in" with the Controller/Thermostat.

It is set on "Auto" - - per the recommendation of one of the great techs at AC Infinity and it cycles on and off with a high setting of 88 degrees Fahrenheit. It turns on around 84 degrees and usually cools right off to 82 degrees.

One of the benefits of having the "Controller/Thermostat" is that when the unit is powered down (and if your fans are connected to a USB port on your AVR, they are powered down, as well) - - the cooling still runs until it stays within the thermostat range - - which again, is usually no higher than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. (Top temperature)

The "Controller/Thermostat" takes all the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just get a Pioneer Elite with their D3 switching amp. Even my Pio VSX 1022 runs just slight warm in normal use (open cabinet). Heat eventually destroys caps not to mention costs money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marantz Heat Issue

Marantz SR7012 Heat Issue

Talked to Marantz USA Customer Service for all of North America 800-654-6633 . I am in Canada. He advised the A/V Receivers do get Very Warm, I said Hot. Advised him of my Temperature measurements in Open Space of 106 - 110 degrees F, 41.1 - 43.3 C. He seems to think that is Normal. He says there is an internal fan inside the receiver that turns on at a certain temperature, he doesn’t know what that is. He knows people put in cooling fans inside the cabinet. That is what he advised me to do. The Volume Level is calibrated in dB, 0 to 100 dB.

MY TEMPERATURE

PUT A REGULAR THERMOMETER IN A STEEL CASING ON TOP OF THE RECEIVER OVER THE AMPLIFIER SECTION.

IN OPEN SPACE ON THE FLOOR ON THE SHORT PILE CARPET, NOT IN A CABINET

Volume Level at 70 - 76 dB at active news and TSN

Temperature at 110 degrees F, 43.3 C

Volume Level at 50 dB at idle and active

Temperature at 106 degrees F, 41.1 C

MY TEMPERATURE

SR7012 IN CABINET WITH OPEN SPACES, FRONT AND BACK, 2.5 INCHES ON TOP, 5.5 INCHES ON THE SIDES. WITH A EXTERNAL DESK FAN ON LOW SPEED #1 , BLOWING IN FRONT TO BACK.

PUT A REGULAR THERMOMETER IN A STEEL CASING ON TOP OF THE RECEIVER OVER THE AMPLIFIER SECTION.

Volume Level at 50 dB at idle and active
Volume Level at 72 dB at active on News and TSN.
Volume Level at 78 dB at idle.

Temperature at 94 degrees F, 34.4 C

SR7012 IN CABINET, NO EXTERNAL FAN

Volume Level at 50 dB at idle
Volume Level at 76 dB at idle

Temperature at 112 - 116 degrees F, 44.4 - 46.7 C

PLAYING MOVIE BATTLESHIP, just over 1 hour into the movie. 5.1 sw off.

Room Temperature 80 degrees F, 26.7 C

Volume Level at 69 dB

Temperature at 120+ degrees F, 48.9 C

SR7012 AUTO LOWERED VOLUME TO 58 dB

AFTER PUT ON A REMOTE DIGITAL THERMOMETER WITH PLASTIC HOUSING, REMOVED METAL THERMOMETER

SR7012 AUTO LOWERED VOLUME TO 58 dB

Temperature at 113 degrees F, 45 C

PUT VOLUME BACK TO 69 dB

Temperature at 120 degrees F, 48.9 C

Volume didn’t Auto Lower, stayed at 69 dB.

Volume Level at 67 dB

Temperature at 114 degrees F, 45.6 C

TURNED EXTERNAL FAN BACK ON LEVEL #1 .

I was asked to turn down the volume, disturbing other tenants.

Turned volume down to 62 dB.

Temperature at 90 degrees F, 32.2 C

Volume Level at 67 dB

Temperature at 93 degrees F, 33.9 C

Volume Level at 71 dB at idle

Temperature at 87 degrees F, 30.6 C

With the difference in Temperature, with fan and no fan. I will leave my desk fan in front of my cabinet and turn it on when I turn on my Marantz SR7012.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
AC infinity fan and you are good to go

Reactions: mike1sc

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
In our AV install biz, we have installed many Denon AVRs including several 8500s'...
As long as U follow Denon's instructions of providing 4-5" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top and not stack anything on top we have no had no thermal heat buildup issues. Plus many of our installs are using low sensitivity/low impedance loudspeakers from Revel. We are often asked about this issue but when we question the consumer further we find many have never read the Denon instructions on the front pages of the Denon Setup Guide. However note we have had other Denon technical issues mainly dealing with their network software which is very buggy and has multiple dropouts...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Premium Member
87,952 Posts
Marantz SR7012 Heat Issue

Talked to Marantz USA Customer Service for all of North America 800-654-6633 . I am in Canada. He advised the A/V Receivers do get Very Warm, I said Hot. Advised him of my Temperature measurements in Open Space of 106 - 110 degrees F, 41.1 - 43.3 C. He seems to think that is Normal. He says there is an internal fan inside the receiver that turns on at a certain temperature, he doesn’t know what that is. He knows people put in cooling fans inside the cabinet. That is what he advised me to do. The Volume Level is calibrated in dB, 0 to 100 dB.

SR7012 IN CABINET WITH OPEN SPACES, FRONT AND BACK, 2.5 INCHES ON TOP, 5.5 INCHES ON THE SIDES. WITH A EXTERNAL DESK FAN ON LOW SPEED , BLOWING IN FRONT TO BACK.
1. There are two volume level scales available (see p. 185 Owner's manual):

a. Factory default: 0 - 98 (volume increases as the number increases from 0 to 98 but no correlation to dB)
b. dB (aka Reference): -79.5dB to +18dB (volume increases as the negative dB volume moves towards the positive dB volume with 0dB being movie reference)

2. As previously indicated, 2.5" clearance above the AVR is insufficient and should be more. For a cleaner install look, consider purchasing an AC Infinity Aircom S9/T9 (rear exhaust) fan which sets on top of the AVR (1.5"H).

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I am on my third Denon AVR, I added an AC Infinity fan that matches the Denon AVR perfectly, and I have never experienced any heat-related issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was actually at Best Buy last weekend auditioning B&W CM 10's, and I noticed the exact same thing. In their display theyve got a vertical row of Pio Elites, Denons, Marantz, and Yamaha Aventages (in the Magnolia test room). All receivers are mounted exactly the same with the same amount of room in between shelves, open backs and fronts, and the Dennons and Marantz were incredibly hot. The Pio's were less hot but still hot, and the Aventages (most notably the 3050 I was auditioning heavily) were MUCH cooler.
Hello, I find it hard to believe that Marantz & Denon receivers run hot! I think that D & M Holdings want the consumer to use the Ecco energy feature in those AVR"s. Another suggestion would be putting the units in a open area on top of the audio video rack so that It can stay some what cool. Also, another solution would be using an Aircom T8 device to help cool the receivers. Finally, with these high end receivers, I'm a firm believer that they have to match correctly with right home theater speaker package. For example: The Marantz SR-8012 receiver would match well with B & W 700 series, and one could run a floor stander as well. As far as the Denon is concerned, the AVR-6500h would match extremely well with paradigm prestige series. One could consider in that line to use the left and right main channels in the 85's and the matching center channel, surround as well. We have to look in the right places in order to get great home cinema performance. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts