AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SA-HE100 has 3 optical inputs and a coax input (4 total), but I can't seem to get all 4 to work. Does anyone have all 4 in use and controllable from the remote. Can I assign all 4 digital devices, or is the coax jack an either/or situation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The connection diagrams on pp. 6-7 of the manual certainly seem to imply that you can use all three the opticals -or- substitute the coax for one of the opticals.

Have you tried disconnecting one of the optical connections and substituting the coax for that component, just to make sure the jack is not faulty?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have reason to believe that jack is bad. What I'm trying to confirm is whether that coax is a substitute for optical or an ADDITIONAL optical. Does the AV support 3 digital devices, or 4?

My objective is to have 4 devices going into those 3 opticals and 1 coax-- and to be able to change all the device selections through the remote.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe /forum/post/19613943

I don't have reason to believe that jack is bad. What I'm trying to confirm is whether that coax is a substitute for optical or an ADDITIONAL optical. Does the AV support 3 digital devices, or 4?

My objective is to have 4 devices going into those 3 opticals and 1 coax-- and to be able to change all the device selections through the remote.

to clarify, What I'm trying to confirm is whether that coax is a substitute for optical or an ADDITIONAL digital input (4 total)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe /forum/post/19614093

to clarify, What I'm trying to confirm is whether that coax is a substitute for optical or an ADDITIONAL digital input (4 total)

I understand that. To follow my thinking:

- If, when you have 3 optical devices AND one coax device plugged in, only three of the four devices get audio,

*BUT*

- when you have TWO optical devices and one coax device plugged in, all three get audio,

*THEN*

... that would confirm that the unit only supports three devices total, and that the coax is a substitute for one of the opticals.

HOWEVER:

- If you have TWO optical devices and one coax device plugged in, and the coax STILL doesn't work, then that would indicate a bad jack (or possibly an improper assignment in the receiver's menu), and you could save yourself some going around in circles.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha! And that is a good idea. But before I crawl behind the rack and start playing around at all, I was hoping someone with the SA-HE100 might be able to confirm that first, a total of 4 digital devices Can (or Cannot) be programmed in and second, all 4 devices could be controlled via the remote.

Thebard, can I also confirm in general that the only inputs that can support 5.1 surround signals are Optical and Coax (and HDMI which this AR doesn't offer)?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe /forum/post/19614713

Gotcha! And that is a good idea. But before I crawl behind the rack and start playing around at all, I was hoping someone with the SA-HE100 might be able to confirm that first, a total of 4 digital devices Can (or Cannot) be programmed in and second, all 4 devices could be controlled via the remote.

I don't own the unit, so someone else will have to chime in. But, yeah, their manual is frustratingly vague... just a shaded coax picture with "OR" next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe /forum/post/19614713

Thebard, can I also confirm in general that the only inputs that can support 5.1 surround signals are Optical and Coax (and HDMI which this AR doesn't offer)?

If you have multichannel analog outputs on your source device and multichannel analog inputs on the receiver, that'll work too. Don't have the Panasonic manual in front of me right now, but you should be able to check that easily.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still hope an owner chimes in, and I'm still going to play some more, but assuming I can only hook up 3 digital audio (among the 3 optical-in and 1 coax-in), how would you hook these 4 devices up. All of them need to have remote commands to change inputs (I teach a universal remote). I want 5.1 or the best audio from each device.

These are the 4 devices I want to run through the AV:

TWO HR24-100 Directv Receivers. Note I rarely use the 2nd one directly, I use the whole home capability to watch shows with the 1st HR24 receiver most of the time. The audio outs on the HR24s are:

1 composite stereo analog (left/right)

1 digital audio (optical)

1 digital audio (coaxial)

1 HDMI (audio/video) (can convert to DVI)
One BDplayer Samsung 5900

I use the Optical Out

One Samsung Panel, a PN58C8000- That's the device I want to add to my current system, so that it's apps, like Vudu and Netflix, and its Media Play play 5.1 surround.

That makes for 4 devices I want to run through the receiver.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Two options off the top of my head:

1) Buy a switcher that will switch toslink (even if it has video switching that you won't need)... something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

(...you might find a cheaper alternative if you look around). Hook your two DirecTV boxes into that, and program your remote to switch between them accordingly.

You could use the switcher to share an input between any two of the devices, but with 2 identical boxes you could keep your audio settings the same, and if your receiver displays the input name, that would stay consistent as well.

2) See if the PN58C8000 will take audio input over hdmi and send it to the optical output. Then, you could hook your blu-ray directly to the tv, enable audio over hdmi, and send both the tv & blu-ray audio out over one optical cable. That wouldn't cost you anything.

Edit: Checking the Samsung manual, it looks like method 2 will work, but will knock the audio down to 2-channel:

p.45: "When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the receiver."

- So I guess you'll have to choose...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a great idea! You've given me alot to digest here. I do have 2 concerns that I need to research first. First, if my HR24 directv receivers can pass the 3D signals through the switcher properly. Second, a quick google pointed me back this board about folks saying they couldn't get 1080p through this switcher. The first post I saw on that topic was here .

But this is an idea I haven't thought of, so thank you!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I owned the SA-HE100 (currently for sale) and have never tried using all 3 optical plus the coax so I can't comment there, however I can comment on your question about 5.1 coming from only optical, coax sources. If you notice the rear has what's called the DVD/DVD6CH inputs which indicate that it accepts separate channels to provide pure 5.1 audio unmixed by the amplifier. Some DVD players have separate audio outputs for Front L/R, Centre, Subwoofer, and Rear L/R. What I did was used my HTPC's Creative Labs XFi soundcard and plugged it into this input providing me with 5.1 from my HTPC for gaming etc.

Cheers,

M

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvara /forum/post/19639241

I owned the SA-HE100 (currently for sale) and have never tried using all 3 optical plus the coax so I can't comment there, however I can comment on your question about 5.1 coming from only optical, coax sources. If you notice the rear has what's called the DVD/DVD6CH inputs which indicate that it accepts separate channels to provide pure 5.1 audio unmixed by the amplifier. Some DVD players have separate audio outputs for Front L/R, Centre, Subwoofer, and Rear L/R. What I did was used my HTPC's Creative Labs XFi soundcard and plugged it into this input providing me with 5.1 from my HTPC for gaming etc.

Cheers,

M

That's good to know, but none of my 4 devices (above) seem to offer that sort of audio output. I don't suppose there's any kind of cable adapters that convert, say optical (or some other output) to that DVD6CH?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe /forum/post/19639417

That's good to know, but none of my 4 devices (above) seem to offer that sort of audio output. I don't suppose there's any kind of cable adapters that convert, say optical (or some other output) to that DVD6CH?

Yeah... they're called receivers!

Seriously, though, for the amount of money a processor like that would cost, you could probably upgrade to a receiver that had all the inputs you need. I think the most cost-effective option (aside from giving up multichannel audio for one source) would be to get a switcher.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/19640697

Yeah... they're called receivers!

Seriously, though, for the amount of money a processor like that would cost, you could probably upgrade to a receiver that had all the inputs you need. I think the most cost-effective option (aside from giving up multichannel audio for one source) would be to get a switcher.

I am inclined to totally agree. While I regret that I can't find someone to confirm whether and how the receiver can service 4 digital devices, I've come up with a plan for when I can get my friend to crawl behind the rack for me. My plan considers my desire not to spend money on the issue at this time.

First, we'll try again to patch 3 opticals and 1 coax. There's another post where folks offered some suggestions on how to maybe get that ideal hook-up confirmed (or not). If that doesn't work...

Second, I'm going to patch the 2nd DirectTV receiver with a non-digital hook-up, like RCA jacks. It is very rare that I use the 2nd DirectTV Receiver other than through the first one (with DirecTVs whole-home DVR setup). So I could live with just stereo on those rare occasions when 2 TV tuners are both recording and I want to watch a 3rd or 4th tuner live. I'd be sacrificing the 5.1 surround for the 2nd Receiver to the TV as a device.

Third, I'll consider that optical audio switch. I agree it's a cost-effective solution. OR I'll look into making the investment on a more up-to-date AVR with 3D capacity, ARC, HDMI sound and all the new bells and whistles... which is a less cost effective solution but one that has to eventually be made, someday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.