AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install an HD display in my motorhome. Any suggestions, especially mounting hardware?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
A good friend of mine lives in a luxury coach. He is a gadget freak and spent a long time researching an HD solution for his "home".

He was looking into a powered fold-away plasma mount and told me that he felt that plasmas are too fragile for a motor home. The oportunity to crack the screen or damage it was too high.

Evidently plasmas are not to be stored or transported in other than an upright position.

For his bedroom, he ended up with a 20" Sharp LCD mounted on a bolt-down stand that doesn't fold or retract.

For the main TV, my friend ended up using a DLP front projector with a powered screen that disappears into the wall. (or ceiling or something like that -- I haven't seen it)

Anyway, the projector was easy to install and conceal as well as the screen. It is lighter in weight than a plasma and he even takes it outside and projects "drive-in" movies onto a huge roll up screen. With his satellite receiver he even gets HD out in the desert.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A couple of pro golfers, John Daly and Davis Love III, each have several plasmas in motor homes that they travel in. From what I've read Daly has 2 in his and Love has 3 in his RV. That doesn't help you with your mounting info, but it does seem to show it's possible to have them in an RV.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with a 32" Samsung LCD. The Samsung has nearly the exact dimensions needed to fit between 2 cabinets and remain vertical at all times. That will allow me to use a "standard" mounting bracket. My only apprehension is I can find no sources on the Samsung LTN325W's PQ.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a Zenith 61" plasma in my RV. I have mounted it right up front where everyone can see it. Of course it blocks out most of the windshield, so it makes it hard to park the old RV, but when my grandson is playing Vice City on it I drive a whole lot better. Well, maybe I don't know if I'm driving better, but I do seem to get there faster.

Personally, I like to drive with the Sopranos on the plaz. I just immerse myself in the lifestyle and all of a sudden, everyone gets out of my way, ... or else.

Anyway, mount your 61" plasma right over the wind shield. Get rid of all the daily hassles of driving. Create your own driving universe. Once we get to where we are going, then we know we are there and put in the appropriate DVD -- Italy, France, Grand Canyon, California, whatever.

Did I tell you that we live with my son and he won't put the battery in the RV? Yup, thinks we are too old to drive cross country. Boy did we surprise him when he stepped up into the old RV and saw Beverly Hills 90210 on the old plaz.

We tried to tell him that we were goin -- with r' without him.

He promises to take the RV off the blocks once we have shown him that we can handle ourselves in these different cultural environments. Little does he know that we travel every night in HD and never move an inch. Not that we only have an inch...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good. :)

Actually, I do listen to ESPN sometimes while driving. However, I don't have the TV turned on. Usually, I listen to one of the music channels on DirecTV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.