AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read articles about new DVD players having a DVI output.

Has anyone on this forum had hands on experience with on of these players and a plasma having a DVI input.

Is the image very noticeably better, or only marginally better?

Is the extra expense of a DVD player with DVI output and a plasma display that has dvd inputs worth it?

Would appreciate comments from those of you who have such a setup or have seen one. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I tried both the Samsung DVD-HD931 and V Inc. Bravo D1 and found that DVI provides significant picture improvement on my native 1080p fixed pixel display. In both cases however various problems caused me to return the units. I suggest trying the D2 when available. If it is reliable, it's price/performance will be hard to beat if the PQ is at least as good as the D1. I plan on getting the D3 as soon as it is available.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I saw a Pioneer 1110HD plasma and the Pioneer 59Avi DVD connected using both HDMI (the newer version of DVI) and a very expensive S-video cable (>$200). The salesguy switched back and forth while viewing the same scene from Super Speedway (originally an IMAX film). There was a noticeable improvement in the detail and vibrancy of colour for HDMI over S-video.

Having said that, the S-video on its own was excellent. If I didn't have the HDMI / S-video switching back and forth in front of me (i.e., if I were walking back and forth between two displays in two different rooms), I would have been hard pressed to find a fault with the S-video image.

...however the HDMI was better.

Ross

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.