AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my SoundSplinter RL-P15 D2 hooked up to a Crest CPX900, feeding it 900 watts. Problem is, the sub is in a crappy tiny 15" car subwoofer box, obviously not reaching its potential. I'm really trying to pull my home theater together so I'm looking for a quick solution. I don't have time to build a box myself and also lack the woodworking skills. If you have an extra box and think it would be a good match for the RL-P15 for home theater/music usage, Sonosub, MDF box, whatever, please let me know so we can figure something out. I'm in North Texas and willing to pick up or if you're willing to ship, I'd be fine with that as well. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
PM Passing Interest. He might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H
Are you looking for ported or sealed?
Probably ported, I've always been under the impression that ported enclosures are a bit better than sealed if you can accommodate the necessary increase in enclosure volume, which in this case, I can.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Some important differences are .

1. Ported designs need less power to produce output down to their tuning point.

2. Ported designs have better output at their tuning frequency then sealed design when driver/amp are similar.

3. Sealed designs have more output below and above the tuning of a ported design.

4. Sealed designs can inherently protect the driver from over excursion if the box is small enough. Ported designs need a SubSonicFilter to protect the driver.

5. Sealed designs need far greater power to achieve high SPL down low because there is a HUGE boost down low to get output.

It really comes down to the fact that a ported design requires less $$$ to get great output. Ultimate SQ, SPL performance with no $$$ limitation sides with the Sealed design. You still need to model your driver to findout what it does in either alignment.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19538914

Some important differences are .

1. Ported designs need less power to produce output down to their tuning point.

2. Ported designs have better output at their tuning frequency then sealed design when driver/amp are similar.

3. Sealed designs have more output below and above the tuning of a ported design.

4. Sealed designs can inherently protect the driver from over excursion if the box is small enough. Ported designs need a SubSonicFilter to protect the driver.

5. Sealed designs need far greater power to achieve high SPL down low because there is a HUGE boost down low to get output.

It really comes down to the fact that a ported design requires less $$$ to get great output. Ultimate SQ, SPL performance with no $$$ limitation sides with the Sealed design. You still need to model your driver to findout what it does in either alignment.

Well put Penn, that should be a sticky at the top of this forum...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray
You make some great points. Don't want to argue with you, but I'm curious about a few things as to why you have reached this conclusion. Maybe you could help me understand a couple of things.

1) Doesn't a PR design give all the performance of both at and above tuning freqency? If money was no object I would think this would be the best way to go. I guess the only downside would be below tunning frequency.

2) Since sealed requires more power down low to reach not only higher SPL than ported, but even more power to reach the same SPL wouldn't this increase the heat? More heat = more distortion? I would think this would be even worse in a dual sealed design.

I've been debating these things for a while and I'm having a hard time making up my mind on my other thread on which encolusre type to even use.

I'm not nearly up to subwoofer designs as most here so what I'm saying are simple questions and not meant to begin the great debate once again, just wanting to learn. With that said here are some measurements I look at to somewhat base my own opinions on thus far:

Ikka tested the LMS sub in 3 different configurations. Sealed, PR, and Sealed with LT

If you take a look at the distortion measurements you will see the PR beats the sealed almost everywhere until the PR tuning freqencey. That is until both are pushed pretty hard on sweep 6 where the sealed begins to have a slight edge around 20Hz and then loses again until below the PR tuning. However, once the LT is applied and the excess power is added the distortion measurements go sky high.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...king-200l.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...aled-100l.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...d-100l-lt.html

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I think you raised two great points but you also kind of answered your own questions

#1 I think of a PR design being the highest quality Port design. It has advantages like allowing smaller foot print and not having port velocity issues. Of course the PR design has the same limitation that the Port design has and that is has no output below tuning. If your goal is to have all frequencies covered (from below 10Hz to 80Hz and beyond) then only sealed designs can do that. Again, this is just a choice and if someone believes 15Hz on up meets 100% of their requirements then PR designs should be awesome.

#2 The whole discussion about distortion is a red herring discussion. Geddes did some research on what we can hear in terms of distortion and Im thinking the splitting hairs debates about distortion is just for online time killing
In most of our rooms there are so many more issues then driver distortion. There is definitely some importants to the driver performance wrt heat, etc but again Im talking about a no cost solution and something like the LMS5400 is pretty impressive with a lots of watts according the the measurements found online. I choose the LMS5400 sealed over PR because I want two of them to give more down below 15Hz and like the foot print requirements.

Obviously, there are many great choices. We did not even touch the horn designs in this discussion. I think we need to focus more on what we really want. Ie..document all our requirements, budget/constraints then list the designs that fit that list the best.

Even though my limited testing of my new LMS5400 gives me goose bumps I remember my TC2000 ported designs did the same in my room when I first put them in. We are talking about $1500 vs $500 in difference in the two designs. I remember my IB array cost $1500 and its incredible.

Anyways. I hope that helped. Sorry to ramble on too much. Im trying to say that they all can kick ass.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I hate to say it, but the SoundSplinter RL-P15 models like a car subwoofer in WinISD, meaning it requires the Cabin Gain of a car for the low end, regardless of the ad copy, which claims it will perform well in a home theater.

I recommend you use another driver for the house. You can easily do better.

Here is a graph (below).

The upper two lines are a 10" NHT 083 driver. The lower two lines are your SoundSplinter RL-P15.

The Yellow and Red lines are Sealed boxes (Yellow--10" NHT 083 Sealed, Red--SoundSplinter RL-P15 Sealed).

The Light Gray and Blue lines are Quasi-Butterworth, 3rd Order Ported (Light Gray--083, Blue--SSRL-P15)

In the graph below are the same two drivers, but in an Extended Bass Shelf -6dB alignment.

Yellow--10" NHT 083 vs. SS RL-P15 in Red.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Penn,

Thanks for the reply. That clears some stuff up for me.

Rocko,

Well, if the SoundSplitter driver doesn't work out for you I may have a Mal-X in a sealed 24'' cube that I'm thinking about selling soon. If you are really located in Allen I'm about 30mins east of you.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the implemented parameters for the RL-P15 D2 in WinISD are skewed. Upon entering the new ones, I played around with some numbers and I'm looking at a 260 active liter box volume with a 6 x 30" precision port (which I already have) for a 15.32hz tune. What do yall think?

Would anyone be willing to build a 260 liter box for me and use the precision port if I mail it to you?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/19542735

The WinISD pre-loaded file is incorrect from what I remember, here is the SS website with the specs http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp15_s...formation.html

I will take a look some time this weekend if I don't overdose on tryptophan tomorrow, that driver should work well in a home environment.

Doh! Thanks for setting the record straight, MJ!

Sorry about the confusion.

I'm kind of backed up with projects at the present and won't be able to take on another for a couple of months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts