AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a rear projection hdtv. I was looking at the new JVC, but I dont like how it scales everything to 1080i. I was scanning the best buy website and found this pupy and did a search and foudn that a 45" should be shortly following. Now i wanted around a 50" but I guess I could live with a 40" since this is only my bedroom =).

Any comments or exp with this tv please post so I'm not sorry for my purchase later.

http://images.bestbuy.com/images/esk...1100118anA.jpg

List of specs:

PRODUCT DETAILS

PT-40LC12

Screen Size

40"

Aspect Ratio

16:9

Digitally Compatible

Yes

Digital Capabilities

HDTV monitor

Display Type

Rear-projection LCD

Digital Convergence

No

Vertical Scanning Lines (Native Mode)

1080i

Comb Filter

3D Y/C

Picture-In-Picture

Yes (2-tuner)

Horizontal Resolution

1280 lines

Front A/V Jacks

Yes

A/V Inputs

3 (1 front, 2 rear)

S-Video Inputs

3 (1 front, 2 rear)

Component Video Inputs

2 rear

VGA/SVGA Inputs

1 front

RF (Antenna) Inputs

A/V Outputs

1 rear

Audio Outputs

Yes (fixed)

Watts/Channel

Speakers

Simulated Surround

Yes

Sound Leveler

Yes

Language Options

English, French, Spanish

V-Chip

Yes

Sleep/Alarm Timer

Yes

Channel Labeling

Yes

Commercial Advance

No

Remote Control Type

Universal

Cabinet Color

Silver

Product Height

35-3/8"

Product Width

38-1/4"

Product Depth

15-3/4"

-Chris

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's brand new, probably no one owns own, it scales everything to the native rate of the panel. I liked it at CES, but didn't love it. I think the chassis is heinously ugly.

Mark

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Well, I was just going to get my feet wet with HDTV until I realized the enormous cost (for a average joe like myself), and came across this unit as well. Being a current owner of a Pioneer 46" "widescreen" rear projection box that lacks even an svideo input, and being a current subscriber to DirecTv, and user of a flat panel LCD screen on the computer, I have come to associate lcd with super sharp and bright.

If this unit even remotely looks as good for tv as my computer monitor does I would be happy, regardless of how hideous the case looks (I actually think its quite impressive looking.

We have one digital station on the air in my area, the rest are still analog. Im assuming from the specs posted, I would be able to get the analog stations as well as the digital one(s) with the built in tuner, but would need a separate receiver for DirecTv HDTV. I also have a Tivo which everything runs though, and I already know I cant record the digital stuff to that, but this set appears to be able to show the standard a/v inputs are 480p, which I find much better looking than 480i.

Guess Ill try to find a store to check one out at here soon, but would appreciate any info you experts can give a newcomer who has a budget of about $2000 max (what this set shows to sell for at Circuit City).

THanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
davenlr...just a couple of points about this unit. First, it would require a separate HDTV receiver/tuner for you to receive that one OTA station in your area - there is no onboard tuner for high def. Secondly, as this unit uses a 1280x720 lcd, it scales all sources to the native 720 progressive display including 480i and 480p signals. Hopefully it does a good job of this. Keep in mind when you see this at CC or BB, that the staff are probably going to be running a really bad signal to it.

i am with mark on the heinously ugly looks of this unit.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Ok, you say the display is 720p and the rest are scaled to that I believe. In the literature, it says the native display is 1080i, would this be something you set with a switch, or what? I believe the local fox station is not using 1080i, but havent received a response back from them on it.

The local circuit city has their hi-defs hooked to a dvd player with componant output, for what its worth.

Im on my way to take a look-see at it, but I was rather impressed that it would accept a svga signal from my computer as well as the built in tuner and other inputs, as I collect music videos, and it would be great to que up a playlist on the computer, rather than having to swap out svcd discs in the dvd player every 40 minutes.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well Fox is only providing a 480p signal at best which is not even HD. As to the native 1080i in the literature that you saw, i am not sure what that means. LCD is a fixed resolution technology in that there are only the 1280 pixels across and 720 pixels from top to bottom so 720p is the native resolution of this unit. That being the case only a ABC signal (720p) would not have to be scaled.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
OK, I understand, sort of like setting your computer monitor to 1280 on a 14" monitor, you miss pixels. Actually, however, 720p would be a godsend compared to 480i anyway. Ill check it out soon, apparently (and I called every store in town the panasonic site listed as a dealer), they are so new the companies havent gotten the sets from the warehouse to the stores yet. Best Buy of all places, was the only store where the salesman was familiar with the model, and said they already had a place set up for its display, complete with a OTA tuner, and DVD componant input, but it would be about a week before it got there from the warehouse.

No problem, since I cant afford it right now anyway, would have to do some major juggling of finanaces, but just want to see how the picture looks. Maybe someone else will get a look at it or buy one and post here.

Thanks for the info guys.

Just one other question, what about this new copy protection stuff they are working on? Would it be wise to spend this money now, and have it turn out not to receive the new copy protection format in the future, which I understand will be built into the monitor itself, after the inputs?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
A couple of things. This is a projection set, so it's comparison to your computer monitor is limited at best. Also, computer monitors are notorious for middling contrasts (LCDs) and other things that are non-optimal for video. I'm optimistic about this set, but again, there is no way to evaluate it in light of non-comparable products (like computer LCD displays).

Also, this set does not support HDCP, the likely copy protection "winner." That means for DirecTV and cable and HD-DVD there is a risk that you will get a downres-ed image of only 480p-ish from those sources if/when they activate the copy protection. This limitation, if it ever proves real, will not affect OTA broadcasts nor will it affect existing DVDs. It is a bit scary, but some feel the "threat" will never materialize.

Mark

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just came back from my local Best Buy and I saw this set there.

Picture quality is really great! I would say that this RPTV looks very close to direct view in terms of brigthness and colors. Maybe I got this impression because of the size.

However, the set I saw had a very visible green spot just a little above the center of the screen. It's not noticeable during some scenes, but when you have darks scenes, it was very visible. During a total black scene, I showed it to the salesguy, but as expected, he had no idea what that was. Clearly a problem.

Has anyone seen this set? Did it have this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to BB last night to check up on the JVC 48" and to my surprise I seen this in the corner. They said the Panasonic rep just got finished setting it up. I was looking at the picture and comparing it to all the sets around this thing was the smoothest clearest of them all I mean the other crt rear projectors look real blotchy and sloppy which is the thing that has ALWAYS kept me away from these units. I couldn't believe how sharp it was.....all the sets were being fed 1080i.

However there was something about the picture that I really didn't like just couldn't put my finger on it. After the screen went black for a minute I figured out what it was. The darn black level....there was none it seemed. The blacks were gray by no exaggeration. This thing had no contrast in the picture at all. Now I'm certainly no videophile...and black levels so far have never been an issue for me....however this really bothered me. I don't think I will get this unit because of that which sux its the perfect size for my room and being only 15" deep man that is just so perfect.

I think I may opt for the JVC I' art 48" widescreen....1k less and better blacks by far...only bad thing here is the scaling of everything to 1080i hoping someone can get around this though....

·
Registered
585 Posts
The price was $2850 till Saturday.

I went there after the JVC 48wp30 also. It's on sale till Saturday, just like the panasonic. But they didn't have the jvc in stock ...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I got to play with it at Best Buy, including re-setting brightness and contrast. This set is a very expensive toy. Not worthy of consideration unless you need a large computer monitor.

It is unbelievably crisp. It is so crisp that if you walk 10-15 feet away, the text is crisper than the RPTV in front of you. That's a total wow!

It posterizes/bands way too easily. That's usually due to insufficient contrast, which I'd say this set definitely has. That's enough of a negative to rule it out. I got to re-set the values, as I said, and the price is clear: You can turn down the silly brightness/washed out look it has out of the box. But then, as you have it try to produce some darker shades, all detail in the dark/shadow areas is lost. I was able to get the picture a lot better than it was, but there was no saving it. I'm certain a calibrator could do better than me just eyeing it, but you can't make black appear when the set doesn't do it, and you can't make it display more discrete shades than it has -- and it has nowhere near enough.

The crispness of the set would normally make HD look breathtaking, but on this display the posterization/banding will mitigate that joy a ton. Viewing angle side to side was very, very good. Top to bottom, however, was as bad as any RPTV.

Fuhgedaboudit.

Sorry,

Mark

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your post Mane3215 but there are very few discussions regarding the PT-40LC12 and you all seem to have at the very least seen this unit. I have been looking for a TV now for over a year and until I went on Panasonic's site the other night I had just about given up. The two main features I have been looking for are picture quality (duh) and a 15pin D-sub connection that can do at least 800x600 for my PC. There are very few TV's that fall into this category and because I live in a remote area, Canadian Arctic, shipping a 36" Princeton Graphics TV from the US would be a fortune. I had given up and was going to get a 36" TAU with a VGA converter. Bye-bye 800x600 or 1024x768, hello 640x480 crap but at least it's better than what I have now. So now I need your opinions. Should I get a good direct view with a VGA converter or should I get a PT-40LC12? We have a Panasonic dealer so getting either TV won't be a problem but I don't want to trade picture quality for higher PC resolution. How does the PT-40LC12 stack up against the TAU for picture quality? BTW if anyone knows where to purchase a Princeton Graphics or Monivision TV in the Ottawa area please let me know because I will be on vacation there in a months time and would purchase either TV in a heart beat to bring back on the plane. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I apologize to Mane3215 if I have changed the topic of this post.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CO1:

No problem =), would love to help where I can. I beleive I seen the TAU at tweeter some months ago and the new lcd though awesome resolution and great picture has such horendous blacks (grays) and cant come close to competing against it.

It really sucks because this things really has a great picture. I (though I dont like the option either) would go with the 36" TAU with a VGA converter. Just my opinion.

-Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far, the black level seems to be a problem. Also, in the owners manual, it gives directions on replacing the light source and it says that it will last only 5,000 hours. It even has a warning flash on the screen when the bulb is about to burn out. Sounds to risky while it's still so new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I work at bby and have spent allot of time with this set, yes it definitely has a contrast ratio problem. I put a CRT set next to it and went in and did a technician convergence and got it pretty dead on for the limited time I had to spend on it, and I have to say that the LCD set definitely was sharper, but my outlook is that I am roughly 9feet away and the smaller detail on the set doesn't't stand out unless you are 5 feet away. At equal distances you could see the LCD set was sharper but like I say it's difficult to tell if your 9+plus away from the set, and after adjusting the CRT sets brightness and contrast it really was no comparison, projection still rules.

Dean

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I just went and bought one =)....I hope I can live with the blacks....I have 30 days to make my choice. I really hope I can deal with it as this thing has everything I need to hold me over until DLP's become reasonably priced. Especially the 1280x720 res. I will keep you guys posted.

-Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep us informed of your progress with it. I've been thinking of grabbing the 45" version myself. I'm liking it due to all the same reasons you listed.

Got to look at it for a while at circuit city, I didn't find the blacks to be all that bad. Then again, i'm no expert and haven't had a big screen tv in years.

;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The posterization/banding cannot be fixed on this set by any adjustments. There is simply not enough of an effective number of colors/shades to avoid this.

The clarity/resolution is breathtaking, but the posterization is an absolute deal breaker, especially at the price they are charging.

Mark

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.