AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go with Klipsch's new reference line as shown in May's edition of Sound & Vision but I read a lot of threads here about how Klipsch's were weak on bass but great on highs. I almost pulled the trigger on Rocket #3 because of their great lows but I read about their highs not being up to speed with Klipsch. I can't find any opinions on the Polk RTi Series. I'm just looking for a well rounded speaker that performs good throughout the entire range. Another reason I'm leaning towards Polk is Circuit City is having free shipping. I'm 87 miles from the nearest CC but if I want to return the speakers it'll be cheaper to drive them back to the store. Can't do that with Rockets. I heard Best Buy might carry the entire Klipsch line soon but I'm tired of waiting. Please help!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Did you listen to the Klipsch? They have great high's but to me they get really old after a while. Especially with music. I would at least listen to the Rockets before taking them off your list.

I have heard great things about the Polk's. Great tweeter. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have nowhere to audition Klipsch or any other speaker for that fact. The nearest electronics store is Rex, 30 miles away. I don't think they carry any respectable speakers. I'm taking a leap of faith based on opinions I receive from people like yourself. I just got off the Axiom site and learned their price includes shipping. So now I threw them into the mix. From what I've read so far, they seem to be a well balanced speaker. The Rocket #3 sale is over today so I think I'll have to rule them out for financial reasons now. Another reason that made me second guess Klispch was their lack of music quality. Even though I listen to movies 90% of the time I still want that well-rounded speaker that I can order online from a respectable dealer with a good return policy and free shipping. So now it's Polk or Axiom. Opinions please!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would go with the Polks and if you don't like them take them back. Then try out the Axioms.

Between those two I don't think you could go wrong. What is your budget and what speakers in each line were you thinking of?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My HT size is about 20 x 25. My old receiver is a Kenwood VR-2080,

100w x 5 @ 6 ohms. No seperate amps. The Axiom Epic 50 ($1567.00) is about the max I'm willing to spend. The mains have to be floorstanding. Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the Polk's I was looking at RTi70 (mains), CSi30 (center), FXi30 (surrounds), PSW404 (sub). It totals at $1,570. Only $3 more than the Axioms. They both offer free shipping but the Polk's I can drive back to CC (half a tank of gas). Is it more expensive to ship something to Canada compared to a U.S. city? I can live with shipping the Axioms back if I have to since they will send it to me for free. Since the price is the same, I need a push one way or the other, unless some of you feel these model speakers are overkill or not good enough for my setup.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the Polks you mentioned less the Sub

They are excellent for HT and music

I would suggest you steer clear of the polk sub

and go with SVS

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out my other thread "Axioms vs. Polk RTi's". I'm starting to lean towards Axioms at this point due to lack of opinion on the Polk's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.