AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
When was it made? If it's from the '90s, it's a PASSIVE downfiring 14" subwoofer in a ported enclosure, using a JBL LE14H old warhorse driver.

If it's from the last few years, I don't know a damn thing about it.

(Ex-National Sales Manager, Fosgate Audionics...)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought one from Ubid for $200 a while back. Only had it briefly since it was cosmetically damaged by UPS while in transit.

I played with it for a short time while waiting for UPS to pick it up. It's not in the same league as SVS, Velodyne, HSU, M&K...

For $200 I think I might have kept it. But not for anything more. It's quite powerful but not very defined sub. Think of it as a Deftech Powerfield 1500.

If you have a big room and need a lot of bass for cheap then go for it. But if you enjoy clean deep bass, spend a bit more money and look else where.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I don't have any info on the newer stuff either, but I have a pair of FA CSS200 THX 12" subs. They're passive, and they're heavy beasts. I kept them in my system for "LFE only" after I upgraded to JBL Performance Series speakers, which included a pair of PS1400 (14", 400W) powered subs.

The CSS200s need at least a couple hundred Watts to get them really working well. I'm driving them with 215W/ch, so they're responsive, but I think 250 or more Watts would be better. The reason that I'm noting this is that the 15" sub you see on the Internet has a 200 Watt amp, and that seems light to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.