AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here own an SVS 20-39PC-Plus cylinder sub? Its got the built in amp and is the middle model... would it be pretty loud for a 12X20 room? I have an AIWA 8" (50W amp lol) and it doesn't even respond to bass below 35Hz at all, so I'm looking for something with more punch.


Dreamaster
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Yes i own a 20-39PC-Plus, and will be more than enuff for your room. Also it would be a BIG improvement over your AIWA 8" sub. If punch is what you are looking for your serach is over.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
"Why do I have two?


They look good in pairs."


I have twin 16-46PC+s. They DO look good in pairs!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
I also have a 20-39PC+ in a fairly large room and it is nothing short of amazing. My living area is about 16' wide by 25' long with a large opening to the dinning/kitchen area and an opening to the hall and entryway. It also has vaulted ceilings.


The SVS fills the room perfectly and sounds awesome...truly impressive bass and well worth every penny.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
>>>Does anyone here own an SVS 20-39PC-Plus cylinder sub? Its got the built in amp and is the middle model... would it be pretty loud for a 12X20 room? I have an AIWA 8" (50W amp lol) and it doesn't even respond to bass below 35Hz at all, so I'm looking for something with more punch.


Dreamaster
 

· Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I have a 12'x15'x8' room that opens in the back to a staircase. I am considering either a 20-39pc+ or 2 20-39pci's. I like the even sound that you get from 2 subs, which do you think would be the better performer?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
You can get a similar even sound from one sub, depending on placement and setup. Plus, you can add an equalizer as well to make it even more uniform and to take off the peaks. Tough choice. I think I would get the 20-39PC+ (which will be great in your room) and later, if desired add a second. (I have two 20-39PC+ in a large room).



Perhaps TV can comment on the choice you outline. My guess (and only a guess here) is that dual PCi will not provide substantially more SPL than a single PC+. Perhaps consider dual 20-39 CS+ which could be slightly cheaper, if you are set on dual subs.

Quote:
Originally posted by timfrommass
I have a 12'x15'x8' room that opens in the back to a staircase. I am considering either a 20-39pc+ or 2 20-39pci's. I like the even sound that you get from 2 subs, which do you think would be the better performer?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by officiousintermeddler
I own two 20-39PC+ in a 30 by 25 room with 14 foot ceilings. A single one provides a significant amount of bass that is outstanding and clean. I highly recommend 29-39PC+.


Why do I have two?


They look good in pairs. :D
Is one PC+ really enough in a 10,000 cubic foot room? I'll be moving into a loft/condominium in about 18 months, and desperately need a subwoofer upgrade. I'd love a 16-46PC+ but I'm concerned with total output. Do I need to move to the 20-39? (Is there really much difference, either in response or volume?)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I too was concerned with total output (but getting dual subs resolves that issue!). I think one may be enough in a 10K cubic foot room depending on listening volume and positioning. One will not be enough at reference levels, but it is not likely you will listen to your sub at those levels continuously anyway.


You can start with one and see how it works and the SVS people have a good reputation for not recommending more than what you need. the 25-31 would have produced more SPL, but I wanted the sub to go lower (hence, 20-39).

Quote:
Originally posted by M Robertson
Is one PC+ really enough in a 10,000 cubic foot room? I'll be moving into a loft/condominium in about 18 months, and desperately need a subwoofer upgrade. I'd love a 16-46PC+ but I'm concerned with total output. Do I need to move to the 20-39? (Is there really much difference, either in response or volume?)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
10K is a huge room! I have a dual 20-39cs+ setup in a 3300 cubic foot room and I was worried about that being enough. I tend to be a bass head though. I would go with at least a dual 20-39cs+ setup in that size room. I would think that one (even though it a SVS) wouldn't be enough. I don't see what there is to gain by going with the PC version if you are going to have duals. You can get a BFD for about 90 dollars and then you have the rumble filter and a eq to boot and you are still cheaper than the dual pc+ setup. The only problem that I could see is if you aren't going to put the subs in the same corner then you might need phase control. Good luck with your decision.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I bought the PC+ duals because they were either to operate, easier to adjust phase control, and did not depend on a single amp for power (if the amp died, I would be out of commission for both). Having said that, hectic1 is correct that from a savings and use perspective, the CS+ is just as good for slightly less money and you can get it to do pretty much everything the PC+ can do (it is just easier to do this on the PC+ off the bat). The CS+ is especially good if you already have an amp to power them, since you can save considerable sums going that route.


You should also consider the PB2 (new box sub). It has dual drivers similar to the PC+ drivers, I think, should be at around $1300 with a 900 watt amp built in and should be easier to place (one sub vs. two).

Quote:
Originally posted by hectic1
10K is a huge room! I have a dual 20-39cs+ setup in a 3300 cubic foot room and I was worried about that being enough. I tend to be a bass head though. I would go with at least a dual 20-39cs+ setup in that size room. I would think that one (even though it a SVS) wouldn't be enough. I don't see what there is to gain by going with the PC version if you are going to have duals. You can get a BFD for about 90 dollars and then you have the rumble filter and a eq to boot and you are still cheaper than the dual pc+ setup. The only problem that I could see is if you aren't going to put the subs in the same corner then you might need phase control. Good luck with your decision.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Thanks for all of the help -- it's too early for me to buy, but I need to know what kind of equipment that I'll need, so that I can set some spousal expectations about what the budget will be. When that magical time comes, I'll be back with more information about the room layout, including wall, ceiling, and floor treatments. I'll probably be putting the couches and all of the AV equipment, including the sub, on the same rubber-isolated raised floor... (... with bass shakers?) Who knows what goodies the future will bring? The possibilities are endless.


(The Renovator's Rule of Budgets and Schedules seems to apply to Home Theatre, too -- it will cost twice as much and take twice as long as you expect, even if you double your estimates.)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
>>>I'll probably be putting the couches and all of the AV equipment, including the sub, on the same rubber-isolated raised floor... (... with bass shakers?) Who knows what goodies the future will bring? The possibilities are endless.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
The feedback that I'm trying to minimize -- especially the tactile kind -- is from the neighbours. I'll be moving into a converted pre-WWI warehouse, with floors made of concrete and wood. It's heavy-duty construction, but I want to do everything I can to stop the sub(s) from vibrating the floor. By putting the sub and couches on the same rigid-but-floating floor, I'm hoping that we'll improve the T-Rex footsteps for the viewers over the original concrete. Am I on the right track?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Robertson
...spousal expectations ...
That's good, I'll have to remember it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
>>>The feedback that I'm trying to minimize -- especially the tactile kind -- is from the neighbours. I'll be moving into a converted pre-WWI warehouse, with floors made of concrete and wood. It's heavy-duty construction, but I want to do everything I can to stop the sub(s) from vibrating the floor. By putting the sub and couches on the same rigid-but-floating floor, I'm hoping that we'll improve the T-Rex footsteps for the viewers over the original concrete. Am I on the right track?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top