AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a simple way to play my collection of Flac audio without going through a computer. My files are stored on a SS HDD. The Node seems like a good solution to connect to a set of powered speakers in my den and also stream wirelessly to other speakers that could be mobile for the deck, garage or other location. Any experience with this device?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I’ve had mine for about a month and I like it a lot. I highly recommend it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, as we love ours alot. First few days couldn't believe our ears due to the quality of sound. Six months later, each time we listen to it, find were exploring various options were able to stream. The audio is just so relaxing and rewarding to experience.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
This looks like an interesting box to me, even though not as slick looking:
If it's all just to play offline files, shouldn't there be a simpler device? These boxes are aimed a lot at people who want digital streaming services.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This looks like an interesting box to me, even though not as slick looking:
If it's all just to play offline files, shouldn't there be a simpler device? These boxes are aimed a lot at people who want digital streaming services.
This box looks similar to the Node. As to whether this is too much, I'm not sure there's much choice. If you want to bypass your computer audio, either because you're in a different room, or you don't trust the audio processing (not an unreasonable fear), I don't think there's much alternative. I doubt you'll find a streamer that can do a network mount of the file system and can't also support the variety of streaming sources these units do.

The difference between Node 2i the unit here would be software. From the review I saw it looks like the Node's software is better developed. I'm also concerned about support for the lifetime of the device. Since this is a new market, it's anyone's guess which software will survive.

To answer the original question, I have a Powernode 2i. This is a Node 2i plus the same kind of amplifier that NAD is using in its new products other than the Masters series. I used it for the same thing as the OP. It works well. I can't compare it with other products. Reviews are positive, and I don't see any difference between it and a NAD D3020 connected directly to my computer. I use it in a different room. I don't see any other way to get audio out of my computer in another room that preserves the full quality.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
This box looks similar to the Node. As to whether this is too much, I'm not sure there's much choice. If you want to bypass your computer audio, either because you're in a different room, or you don't trust the audio processing (not an unreasonable fear), I don't think there's much alternative. I doubt you'll find a streamer that can do a network mount of the file system and can't also support the variety of streaming sources these units do.
Yeah, about the same idea, only this one comes from DIY roots and has some different take on OS and features or something. It also has a seemingly more known DAC chip but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, about the same idea, only this one comes from DIY roots and has some different take on OS and features or something. It also has a seemingly more known DAC chip but that doesn't mean a whole lot.
The Burr Brown DAC in the Node is known. I’m not convinced that either is better than the other. In theory I like open source software. The question is whether it’s going to last. Maybe so. There’s plenty of similar things that have done very well.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The Burr Brown DAC in the Node is known. I’m not convinced that either is better than the other.
I looked briefly for DAC specs on the Node and couldn't find what it is, but I didn't dig too much. ES I think is supposed to be better but yeah, dunno if it is either. I'm not the typical customer for that kind of gear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is anyone using the Node as I plan to: playing flac files from a SS HDD connected directly to the Node itself?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is anyone using the Node as I plan to: playing flac files from a SS HDD connected directly to the Node itself?
Yes, although Powernode. My library is in iTunes on a Mac. I mount it from the Powernode. The system with the disk has to support SMB, i.e. Microsoft file services. Windows, Mac, and with some setup, Linux, all do. The advantage is that this bypasses all audio processing on other systems, letting the Powernode use its own codecs directly on the files.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a Bluesound Node 2i and I like it. When I updated my home theater system, the installer told me that the DAC in my Anthem 1120 is better than the Bluesound so it is set up with an optical input to the Anthem. Would I be better off using the RCA cable that came with the Bluesound. It's not a simple thing to test as he set it up in a way that its hard to switch cables

·
Registered
TV: LG OLED65C9, AVR: Anthem MRX-520, Speakers: Paradigm 75f, 55c & Studio 20 rears & X12 sub
28 Posts
I have a Bluesound Node 2i and I like it. When I updated my home theater system, the installer told me that the DAC in my Anthem 1120 is better than the Bluesound so it is set up with an optical input to the Anthem. Would I be better off using the RCA cable that came with the Bluesound. It's not a simple thing to test as he set it up in a way that its hard to switch cables
My understanding is that the Anthem and Bluesound DACs are comparable with the Anthem’s probably a little bit better however the Anthem can not do the full MQA unfolding. I’m using a set of Blue Jean RCA cables between my MRX 520 and my Node 2i (the cables in the box seemed a bit thin and lacking in shielding). In any case I would use the digital coax over the optical.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My understanding is that the Anthem and Bluesound DACs are comparable with the Anthem’s probably a little bit better however the Anthem can not do the full MQA unfolding. I’m using a set of Blue Jean RCA cables between my MRX 520 and my Node 2i (the cables in the box seemed a bit thin and lacking in shielding). In any case I would use the digital coax over the optical.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts