AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader...first time poster....

I have read a fair amout of reviews on the Olevia 30 inch LCD TVs. I feel pretty positive about them.

I headed over to the Olevia website to check out the specs on the TVs and see there are two seperate types of the 30 inch model and I am having a hard time figuring out what the difference is...basically which one is better.

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between these two TVs

LT30HV

vs

LT30HVS

Based on the specs they seem identical...if anyone has an opinion, I would appreciate to hear it !!!

I am looking to use this for Xbox, DVDs and in the future HDTV....

I have a couple of questions with wide screen displays...if you use it on just basic cable does it have the black bars on the top and bottom...

how about when your playing Xbox...will it be full screen with the HD component hookups for the Xbox...or will it also be like a wide screen movie ?

Is it acceptable to use the Xbox as a DVD player or would you recommend getting a higher end DVD player for a better picture ?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions...I am sort of a newbie with LCD and HD stuff...

Thanks in advance,

Leeland

·
Registered
68 Posts
It looks the the LT30HV has dual tv tuners, but the LT30HVS has single. I thought at first S might stand for silver because I've seen other manufacturers add an S to distinguish silver from black. I dont know if there are any other differences.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Isn't the HVS newer? Well i don't know for sure but i think it is a little newer, but i don't know a difference in specs between the two.

I am pretty sure Xbox will play in widescreen mode as long as you tell your xbox that your screen is capable of 1080i 720p 480i 480p and tell it through the settings that it is a widescreen 16:9 monitor. I am not sure if all the games will play in widescreen but as long as the xbox knows it will do what it can i guess.

You should also look and see what thr Xbox360 will take to become HD because you don't want to buy an LCD with the wrong connection and not be able to play Xbox360 in 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jmlkoho said:
I have had my 30" Olevia since Feb. and I could not be happier. It is used as a dedicated Media Center Monitor via DVI, and I occasionaly play some GameCube w/the HD cables.

There are numerous threads here on the forum about Olevias check this one out.

I read through that entire post...and from the majority of the post I saw positive reviews and so forth...

I am really thinking we are going to get this brand of TV....then came the dilema of what the heck is the difference between the two models...

the LT30HV to me appears to be the older of the two models so conventional wisdom would tell me LT30HVS is the newer better model...

but I am not seeing anything different between the two...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeland
I read through that entire post...and from the majority of the post I saw positive reviews and so forth...

I am really thinking we are going to get this brand of TV....then came the dilema of what the heck is the difference between the two models...

the LT30HV to me appears to be the older of the two models so conventional wisdom would tell me LT30HVS is the newer better model...

but I am not seeing anything different between the two...
I know what you are talking about Leeland, I really do not know the difference. From the Specs on the website they look identical. I was just commenting on my Syntax and that I am a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
493 Posts
As Kevin above said, the HV has dual tuners and the HVS has a single tuner - hence the "S". That is the only difference that I know of.

I had the 32" model about a year ago, but returned it. I just wasn't happy with the DVD & SD PQ, the backlighting was uneven and the remote is a quirky POS.

Many people do seem to be quite pleased with these sets however. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Smith
As Kevin above said, the HV has dual tuners and the HVS has a single tuner - hence the "S". That is the only difference that I know of.

I had the 32" model about a year ago, but returned it. I just wasn't happy with the DVD & SD PQ, the backlighting was uneven and the remote is a quirky POS.

Many people do seem to be quite pleased with these sets however. Good luck to you.

Here are the specs I got off of Neweggs site for each of the TV's

LT30HV

HDTV Input: Y/Pb/Pr x 1 (480i, 480p, 1080I, 720p)

Component Input: Y/Cb/Cr x 1 (480i)

Composite Video Input: RCA x 1

S-Video Input: 4-pin DIN x 1

Audio Input: RCA L/R x 4, Mini - Stereo Jack x 1

DVI/HDCP Input: DVI - I x 1

VGA Input D Sub - 15 x 1

TV System Support: NTSC

TV Tuner Input: TV / CATV RF x 1, NTSC Only

TV System Support: NTSC / PAL / SECAM (Regional Specific)

Service Port: RS232 x

LT30HVS

HDTV Input: Y/Pb/Pr x 1 (480i, 480p, 1080I, 720p)

Component Input: Y/Cb/Cr x 1 (480i)

Composite Video Input: RCA x 1

S-Video Input: 4-pin DIN x 1

DVI/HDCP Input: DVI - I x 1

VGA Input: D Sub - 15 x 1

TV Tuner Input: TV / CATV RF x 1, NTSC Only

Can you please explain to me which part says it has only one TV tuner ? not trying to be a wise ass...

Also, since you say the LT30HV is better (because it has dual tv tuners vs the LT30HVS) and that is the only difference between them....

Can you think of a reason why the LT30HV is 100 dollars cheaper than the LT30HVS on neweggs site ?

I would think the more expensive unit would have to have something better to account for the higher price ?

Thanks again guys for the information...I appreciate it...

Leeland

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Olevias are built with modular tuners, so it is easy for them to produce the same TV with single, double, or ATSC tuners (ATSC tuners have been rumored, but no prices or availabilty info yet). These are not the current year models. The 2005 sets are 20", 26", 32", 37" and 40". Some have new panels with 1200:1 contrast ratio and 8ms response time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would get a Olieva with Idea technology, which is the LT26HVE, LT26HVX(coming soon), LT32HVE, and the LT37HVS(coming soon).

Going by the original 30in selection, the LT32HVE would be your best choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Smith
It's on the syntax web site:
LT30HV
LT30HVS

As far as why the dual is cheaper, I have no idea.

Thanks for that answer...right after I posted that I saw it too...and isn't it strange the the dual is cheaper than the single...when it looks like everything else is the same ?

Leeland

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous
I would get a Olieva with Idea technology, which is the LT26HVE, LT26HVX(coming soon), LT32HVE, and the LT37HVS(coming soon).

Going by the original 30in selection, the LT32HVE would be your best choice.

I originally thought about the 32 inch...would be perfect for us...the problem is that the aurmor (sp?) is only 35 inches wide...and the 32 inch is 40 inches roughly...

wouldn't fit :D Leaves me with the biggest I can go is the 30 inch...

Would you say that if you are to compare the two LCD tv's the 26 and the 30 inch

that the 26 inch with the Super-ips and iDEA technology is a superior product ?

I am just scared that the 26 inch TV will be too small vs the 30 inch...

Also, does anyone have experience playing Xbox on widescreen LCD TV's ? do you get black bars on the bottom and top ? or is it full screen ?

Thanks guys,

Leeland

·
Registered
471 Posts
Think about going with a bottom speaker or removable speaker TV - The Westinghouse 32" will fit with room to spare. Might even be able to get a 37" with narrow bezel (such as the Westinghouse, Sceptre, etc) to fit.

edit: Nevermind about the 37" sets - they seem to be 37.5" wide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrussell
Think about going with a bottom speaker or removable speaker TV - The Westinghouse 32" will fit with room to spare. Might even be able to get a 37" with narrow bezel (such as the Westinghouse, Sceptre, etc) to fit.

edit: Nevermind about the 37" sets - they seem to be 37.5" wide.
Well i am in a pickel now...I found a westinghouse 37 inch LCD at the local Best Buy and the measurements are 36 5/8

I have an armour (sp) which has an encloser that is exactly 36 5/8 th's wide

The LCD looked very good and I am sure that it would look even better with some tweaking....from what I could see the settings were all default.

DO YOU THINK THAT TV WOULD FIT IF THE ENCLOSURE IS THE EXACT SIZE AS THE SPECS ON THE TV ?

I think it would be pretty tight but if it did fit it would look awsome

Any ideas ?

Thanks guys for all the helpful comments I do appreciate them !!!

Leeland

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeland
DO YOU THINK THAT TV WOULD FIT IF THE ENCLOSURE IS THE EXACT SIZE AS THE SPECS ON THE TV ?
My concern would be over-heating. If it's that tight a fit you wont have any airflow - unless your armoire is open at the back.

Steve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEast
My concern would be over-heating. If it's that tight a fit you wont have any airflow - unless your armoire is open at the back.

Steve.
well it is pretty deep...and would have plenty of clearance on the top side...

the dimensions are 20 D x 36 5/8 W x 33 H

It has a backing on it but I could always punch some round holes in the back side...

leeland

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a LT26HVE that I bought in June.. I have not used it much, but found the following issues FYI..

I have it connected to the cable directly (TW-Maine) and use the internal SD tuner. I was finding that I was getting the audio mode flashing up on the corner every so often (mono, stereo, etc).. It is possible that the mode of the signal was changing on the cable channel, but I could not verify that.. I have just sent an e-mail to support about that to see if there was a way to disable that...

Secondly, I found that if I changed any of the sound options from the factory recommended settings, the sound seemed very distorted.. This sounds like a problem with my set, and I need to play around with it a bit more to be sure.. If I leave it as set at the factory, it sounds fine (using internal speakers) but with the first problem, I am wondering if they are related..

All in all, I found it a wonderful set.. Very crisp and clear.. I play DVDs through the component inputs (Up converted via Zenith/LG player to 1080i) and am quite pleased with the results. Given the price point, I would buy this again in a heart-beat..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personal Opinion on the LT26HVE, now it has all the techs like iDEA, etc. But when i was at goodguys and saw it along with all the other 26 inch ones i really did notice how wierd the 15:9 aspect ration looks also in my opinion 26 inches is way to small. Maybe you should consider spending a few extra bucks for a 32 in with speakers on the bottom or 30 inch with better known PQ and picture.

Now i love Olevia and i am looking at getting one but the 26in just didn't cut it for me, but to be fair when i was at Frys Electronic the 26in looked just fine with its 15:9 aspect ratio. Good Guys i thought was a better place to give me final opinion about it out becuase everyother 26 in looked good except the Olevia. about of 12-18 26 inch screens on the wall.

I am looking at a LT32HVE but can't seem to find a place with it on display, only in stock. So thats what is stopping me from buying it. Also i plan on buying it for 1000 when it goes on special at Fry's but i might just wait and spend some extra dollars and go with the Westinghouse new 32 in the w3?(for sure not the w1 even though it looks good), Or one of the samsung LNR-328 (something close to that cost about 1600 online).

Now i think about it i did see the 30inch at Frys and it looked good even though i wasn't looking real hard at it.

I don't think you would need the dual tuners on the HV so you should get the other 30 inch just because it is newer! (newer is the only reason i can come up with why you would buy it).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.