AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a Firehawk Luxus Communicator. Can't really afford their motorized and figured a Dalite motorized might actually add up to quite a bit more in pricing as well. I know most Stewart owners are probably either fixed or motorized screens. But I need something to put away and do want a Firehawk so is the Luxus any good?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Actually a motorized Dalite will be very close in price to the pull down Firehawk. Its a hard call to which way to go, but if you really really want a firehawk, then the pulldown will be fine

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goosey
Looking at getting a Firehawk Luxus Communicator. Can't really afford their motorized and figured a Dalite motorized might actually add up to quite a bit more in pricing as well. I know most Stewart owners are probably either fixed or motorized screens. But I need something to put away and do want a Firehawk so is the Luxus any good?
The only time when you can't have a pulldown is with a perforated screen.

However, the Firehawk is usually not perforated. [ Grayhawks can be perforated.]

Stewart was offering perforated Firehawks on a trial basis - I'm not sure if they continue to offer this option.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was formerly looking at the Dalite Contour as you suggested Daniel. But I'm not that handy so I would be looking towards a professional installation. I figured I might also want to add a remote. But in any case the cost of the installation (the wires and the power etc.) might bump the costs up and I don't know how reliable motorized screens are. What initially might only be a couple hundred dollars difference might turn out to be near a thousand. But ya it's still a hard choice for me.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Dr. Gregory Greennman

I dont know if you like being called Greg or Gregory so I figured I call you by your full name and title. Stewart is microperfing Firehawks

Goosey

I understand your predicament concerning installation. I installed an electric stewart screen and had someone help me do it. Its really not that difficult to do.

I will tell you something I probably shouldnt, but when I once asked Don Stewart about buying either an electric and pulldown greyhawk, he told me to forget about the pulldown and go with the electric. The basic flaw with all pull downs is that the speed of the raising and lowering of the screen are not consistant unlike the electrics which are very consistant.

The hard part about electric screen is connecting th power, everything else is pretty easy. If you know anyone that is an electrician, then installation becomes very easy. I dont remember about Dalite, but you can have the Stewart electric screen setup with an electrical plug that plugs into any wall socket. That makes the rest of the installation a breeze.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I can also recommend Stewart’s electric version over the manual one.

I was looking for a simple uncomplicated screen that I can make disappear, as my HT is in my living room, but wanted an excellent screen material. So I started off with the manual pull down Luxus Communicator 110†Firehawk. However, I also experienced some problems with the mechanism. I ended up upgrading to the electric version - the Luxus Electriscreen. During this process Don himself took care of the issue and did an OUSTANDING job helping me to become a fully satisfied and very happy customer. When I first bought the screen I had to swallow a bit about the premium for a Stewart Screen. Now I am so glad I went this route.

This Electriscreen with Firehawk material is an outstanding product and an excellent match for my Infocus LS110 in a semi-light controlled room. Due to its tension mechanism the screen material stays perfectly flat.

Concerning the installation: The mechanical part was very simple but for the electrical part some experience would be helpful as you need to deal with bare wires.

_______

Axel

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow I'm glad I asked this question. Thanks for the replies Daniel and Axel. I think that's enough to sway me from getting a Stewart pulldown. So I guess I'll either go cheap with High Power pulldown or a Dalite Motorized Contour or a motorized Stewart although I'm a bit hesitant to spend so much on a screen when my projector probably won't be much more than the cost of the screen.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The good think about the electric stewart screen is that its an investment and the next time you upgrade your projector, you will probably be able to use the same screen. So although the upfront cost is high, it will be a long term deal

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
The good think about the electric stewart screen is that its an investment and the next time you upgrade your projector, you will probably be able to use the same screen. So although the upfront cost is high, it will be a long term deal
I fully agree w/ Daniel.

While I tend to upgrade or replace PC and PJ equipment after one or two years I consider a screen more like a "lifetime investment", like e.g. my IMHO very good stereo loudspeakers (10y and counting). This is also a mature technology w/o those quantum leaps anymore.

This statement comes from someone who has quite a reputation to always have to have the latest and greatest gadgets….:D

_______

Axel

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so which Stewart motorized model should I be looking at? They have quite a few and I'm not sure which one I should go for.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Mine is a Electriscreen Model A (LX) LX110HFHB.

It looks identical to the Luxus Communicator Screen I had before, since the motor is fully integrated in the case.

If you need addl. masking you might want to get one of the more sophisticated models.

I suggest you talk to our Forum hosts to get some recommendations.

____

Axel

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey folks,

I am the proud owner of a 100" 16x9 Grayhawk Communicator (pulldown).

To date, I haven't had any problems what so ever. I've had my unit for two years now. My wife and I love it!!!

I originally wanted to get a motorized unit...but, alas, my house's joists would have to have been greatly cut and modified to support the screen. So, a pull down it was. Plus, the savings in cost allowed me to get separates (parasound) as opposed to an AVR.

Cya!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.