Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking for anything about the new line of direct view TVs from Toshiba. In particular, the replacement for their 34HF81. Please help. :confused:

Thanks,

Ralph

·
Registered
686 Posts
John, any more news you can relate about the 34HF82? Must be some major new feature to warrant a model change. DVI interface for connection to the new DST-3100, I'm guessing?

Firewire, integrated HDTV tuner, or native 720p would be great, but unlikely I suppose. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bob,

I can tell you that pretty much ALL the direct view 34" displays will NOT have an integrated tuner (definitely not Sony, Panny, or RCA). The only one I know of is the new 34" Zenith (C34w23). And at $2500 MSRP, sounds like a real bargain. No DVI or 720p however. No PIP either; just one ATSC tuner which upconverts everything to 1080i, and one NTSC tuner.

Ralph:eek:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Actually, I made a mistake. The new model number is 34HDX82 and that should tell you something...that indeed it does have integrated DVI.

Apparently, the new projection sets will now accept a 720p input. I'm sure it converts it to either 540p or 1080i, but there's no mention of that so I'm not sure which way it goes. Perhaps the direct-view sets will do this as well. Much too soon to say for certain though.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ralph and John, thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing more about the 34hdx82.

As for the Zenith C34w23, it looks like a nice set, and it's great to see integrated tuners going into 34" models--especially at that price point--but those useless speakers on the sides make it too big for my space.

Only a few manufacturers realize that many people who buy 34" 16:9 sets do so because they have space limitations. And those of us with good audio gear *never* use the built-in speakers.

Only Toshiba and Panasonic make minimal-width 34" sets. Sure, I'd prefer a Sony, but they won't cooperate. :rolleyes:

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.