AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone actually either owned or extensively compared both these Plasma TVs the Panny 42PZ700U and the 42P77U and could offer me their OWN THOUGHTS based on their own observations good and bad and why they chose one over the other?


Im really in a pickle, I just bough the Panny 42PC77U from Coscto which is only a 720 Plasma and Im pretty close to the tv in a small room about 5-6ft and even the HD images look a little soft....after tweaking the heck out of it, I got the picture to look good but I just get that feeling that a 1980x1080 panel would look crisper


I hear alot of different things about how the 700 and the 77u have very distinctly different looks...can you offer feedback
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Omelet....thanks but I'm looking for specific feedback only from those people that may have had BOTH TVs in their actual homes at one time and compared them under regular hom conditions or someone who have may have done some more intensive side by side comparisons...not your average Joe who walks into BestBuy and looks at both pictures and arrives at an observation


Ive, actually compared them side by side myself and they seem the same, so I am looking for a more thorough observation
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts
There are a number of posts from people who either have both TVs, or have returned their PZ77U for a PZ700U and reported the PZ700U has better PQ. Look for the current thread titled something like "PZ77U Buyers Remorse", and read the PZ77U thread as well. The only reason i can find to choose a PZ77U over a PZ700U is if the room is so bright that a PZ700U or other non-AG model would be too reflective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Well we had the 42PZ77U and the 50PZ700U next to each other at my store, and there is definitely a much nicer picture on the Z700. The Z77 is a great set, don't get me wrong, but it gives a very dead feeling picture as compared to the Z700, however if glare is a huge issue, then it's worth it to consider see a picture with a little less light is better than trying to look past glare into something that can look more alive. My .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback on the picture differences guys...my other just as important question is how is the sound system on both these tvs?....Im not going to be hooking up a seperate home theater system in my small office, so I want the best built in speakers I can get in a Plasma
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge /forum/post/12870484


thanks for the feedback on the picture differences guys...my other just as important question is how is the sound system on both these tvs?....Im not going to be hooking up a seperate home theater system in my small office, so I want the best built in speakers I can get in a Plasma

The PZ700U has more audio wattage than the PZ77U. The PZ700U also has four speakers (two regular speakers and two woofers) while the PZ77U has just two regular speakers. I used the built-in speakers on my 42PZ700U for a few months while my A/V Receiver was in the shop and for a TV it sounded great - probably better than any TV made in the past few years. The PZ77U is simply a lesser model and the only thing it has going for it is the AG screen if you absolutely need it, and of course the lower price.


Here's the PZ77U Buyers Remorse thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=remorse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I love the 77u, the same posters (group of 5 or 6 poeple over and over again), continuously write the same thing about the 700u being so superior and a no-brainer of a decision. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wouldn't chose one over the other as far as picture quality is concerned (once properly calibrated/configured). I've ACTUALLY seen both sets calibrated in a dark room and while the 700u had more of a glossy shiny image the 77u looked virtually identical with blacks that I perceived to be deeper. Couple that fact with the excellent job the 77u does with glare and anyone who buys this TV will be happy. I wouldn't even consider a 700u if glare is a potential issue.


I picked this set up for 1050 at sears and I'd be willing to say its one of the best straight up (not one of those crazy YMMV specials on slick or fatwallet) deals of 2007. Other than a pioneer, it can't be beat. If you don't believe me about the black levels, there are professional reviewers out that saying that it may be the best/blacked panasonic TV ever produced. So say what you want about the 700u, but to put down the 77u as inferior in my opinion is foolish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Bother nice sets...PZ77U still has nice PQ...PZ700u is still has more depth...The main difference that is disappointing about the PZ77 is shadow detail..I noticed it on most footage..I noticed it the most when i see Star Wars coming on the dishnetwork and the walls behind the didnt show items in the dark very well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guys just as Im about to log off with a well informed opinion helping me make a final decision, one of you contrary lil critters posts another response that totally confuses me once again!



How can 2 different groups of people be totally split on 2 different opinions on these 2 TVs?.....One group has to be more accurate with their observations. It cant be both. A bunch of you say that the 700U has the superior picture but then a few of you retaliate with the response that they are the same picture and in fact the 77U has the superior blacks ( which would almost imply that the 77U has the better image)


(shaking my head while my lips flap) which is it guys??? I think Im getting dizzy.



Oh and another question, does the 700U have any enhancements over the 77U for gaming like better refresh rates, quicker response times, ect? I have an XBOX 360 that Im gonna hook up to this bad boy



In regards to the sound on the 700U, someone said that it had more wattage, regardless of the higher power speakers, are they better, fuller, richer sounding? Im not worried how loud they go, because I will be in a pretty small room, I much rather how much richer they sound...Are they better sounding speakers?



thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge /forum/post/12870941


In regards to the sound on the 700U, someone said that it had more wattage, regardless of the higher power speakers, are they better, fuller, richer sounding? Im not worried how loud they go, because I will be in a pretty small room, I much rather how much richer they sound...Are they better sounding speakers?

the most important feature of plasma TV is picture - once you have it you can't change it - you can add external scaler, you can add sound system, but you can't change your plasma glass - get the one that looks best for you and don't worry about the wattage or sound, almost any pair of decent speakers and amplifier/receiver will sound better than built-in TV speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
To repeat...I had the TH-42PZ77U in my home for almost two weeks...I couldn't get beyond the matte LCD-like PQ due to anti-glare screen...the AG screen is quite effective and it was a beautiful picture but not lively enough for my eyes.


I returned the PZ77U in favor of the TH-50PZ700U...yes, the screen is bigger but the PQ comparison is still relevant...the 700U is more "lively" - still a very natural life-like picture - just more crisp, clean, vibrant to my eyes...and the anti-reflective screen does a very good job handling most glare.


The sound is superior on the 700U...4 speakers versus 2 speakers and higher wattage = better sound.


Remember...it's only a TV but for the $$$, you should be happy with your purchase - I absolutely am after making the switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge /forum/post/12866641


Just curious to know if anyone actually either owned or extensively compared both these Plasma TVs the Panny 42PZ700U and the 42P77U and could offer me their OWN THOUGHTS based on their own observations good and bad and why they chose one over the other?


Im really in a pickle, I just bough the Panny 42PC77U from Coscto which is only a 720 Plasma and Im pretty close to the tv in a small room about 5-6ft and even the HD images look a little soft....after tweaking the heck out of it, I got the picture to look good but I just get that feeling that a 1980x1080 panel would look crisper


I hear alot of different things about how the 700 and the 77u have very distinctly different looks...can you offer feedback

I HAVE had both of them. I bought the Z77U first... I WANTED to be happy with it - but just couldn't get over the lack of vibrancy in the picture, no matter how much I tweaked and re-tweaked the picture. I returned it for the Z700U and found that it has a much better picture, not to mention better sound. I don't understand why some 77U owners posting on this board think that those of us who returned a 77 for a 700, and think the 700 is a better set, are in some sort of a conspiracy. I'm just giving my opinion as a person who's owned both of these Panasonic models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
Our best buy here has the 700U and 77U right next to each other and its clear the 700U has a brighter / more vibrant picture. I originally bought a 77U because it was cheaper but ,as others here have said, the lack of "pop" and vibrancy was a disappointment thanks to the heavy usage of antiglare.


I took it back but went with a Kuro instead of the 700U mainly because I knew I wouldnt be happy with the 700U's black levels. (The 77U failed miserably in the black level department sitting next to my XBR960 CRT).


It's worth noting im very picky with black levels mainly because I like watching movies & playing games in a darkend room. I guess im just used to it after all these years of using CRTs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input...aside from the the better image quality on the 700U, are the Black Levels on the 700U as good as the Black Levels on the 77U or are they worse?


Also I want to share my thoughts on the 720P 77U that I got from COstco, my observation of this TV with HD channels with HD content is that the image isnt completely HD. It looks somewhat soft almost as it looks on other HD TVs when you ZOOM the aspect ratio. In fact, all the HD content I view, fools me into toggling thru the ASPECT button just to make sure I'm not watching it in ZOOMED mode. Its very disheartening. Would the 1080P version of either of these models (77U or 700U) improve upon this somewhat soft HD image?


And I know its not my feed or any other outside sources causing this because I have 2 other HD tvs ( a 6 year old rear projection 50" Hitachi V500A and an Olevia LCD 32" 720P tv ) and both of those TVs seems to display a more crisp and detailed HD signal ( aside from their other faults that I wont get into)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge /forum/post/12875389


Thanks for the input...aside from the the better image quality on the 700U, are the Black Levels on the 700U as good as the Black Levels on the 77U or are they worse?

The PZ77U has a higher contrast ratio than the PZ700U, but in bright and somewhat subduded store environments where i scrutinized the PZ77U it's higher CR wasn't very apparent, possibly due to it having to punch through the matte screen.


A few posts back in this thread bigevan23 said he saw both TVs side by side in a dark room, properly calibrated, and that the blacks looked deeper on the PZ77U. Aside from this one report, i can't remember seeing anyone else here notice the higher CR but it does sound plausible. I've seen a PZ77U in a dark room and the matte screen does seem to soften the image and i couldn't get it to look as crisp and clear as my PZ700U does at home and i blame the AG screen for that. The two TVs use the same plasma panel.


But i can tell you that the black levels on my PZ700U are plenty black enough, and noticeably better than my older PX50U when i tested them side by side in my pitch black living room.


Quote:
Also I want to share my thoughts on the 720P 77U that I got from COstco, my observation of this TV with HD channels with HD content is that the image isnt completely HD. It looks somewhat soft almost as it looks on other HD TVs when you ZOOM the aspect ratio. In fact, all the HD content I view, fools me into toggling thru the ASPECT button just to make sure I'm not watching it in ZOOMED mode. Its very disheartening. Would the 1080P version of either of these models (77U or 700U) improve upon this somewhat soft HD image?

The PC77U which has the matte AG screen which might explain the softness you're seeing, but still it should be plenty crisp and there may be something wrong with it since you say it's definitely not the source. My co-worker has a 42PX77U (exact same panel and screen as the Costco PC77U) and HD definitely looks like HD.


Quote:
And I know its not my feed or any other outside sources causing this because I have 2 other HD tvs ( a 6 year old rear projection 50" Hitachi V500A and an Olevia LCD 32" 720P tv ) and both of those TVs seems to display a more crisp and detailed HD signal ( aside from their other faults that I wont get into)

When you're seeing these soft HD images, what resolution is the TV getting, 720p or 1080i? Because with my older PX50U and even on my new-ish PZ700U, setting my cable STBs to output all channels at 1080i gives a substantially crisper and more detailed picture than setting em to output everything at 720p.


If you can set your STB to output all the SD and 720p channels at 1080i, try that. Also if you're not using HDMI, try that too cause lots of people including myself see a teensy bit more sharpness compared to Component.


Do you have satellite or cable? What is your source when seeing the poor HD?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge /forum/post/12870941


guys just as Im about to log off with a well informed opinion helping me make a final decision, one of you contrary lil critters posts another response that totally confuses me once again!



How can 2 different groups of people be totally split on 2 different opinions on these 2 TVs?.....One group has to be more accurate with their observations. It cant be both. A bunch of you say that the 700U has the superior picture but then a few of you retaliate with the response that they are the same picture and in fact the 77U has the superior blacks ( which would almost imply that the [PZ]77U has the better image)

Better blacks don't necessarily mean the PZ77U would have a better image, that image still has to punch through that matte AG screen. And i don't care what anybody says, that matte AG screen definitely changes the "personality" of the image compared to any of these TV's AR-screen counterparts. I've read all the threads and posts on all the Panasonics and there are a lot more people here who disliked the PZ77U enough that they went through the trouble to return it for a PZ700U and liked the 700U better, than the other way around. I'm not just going by my impressions that i got from auditioning the PZ77U in stores, i'm also going by what looks like a majority of posters here who think the PZ700U looks better and all for pretty much the same reason - and it has to be the AG screen. You have to look at the size of each group and determine what the majority of people think. There are plenty of people that are happy with their PZ77U, some people who think their PZ77U looks better than a PZ700U, but the group that likes the PZ700U better is much larger. And it appears that Panasonic has dropped the AG screen from it's 2008 lineup according to an article i read last week and i can't help but wonder if it's in response to this year's model.



But let your own eyes decide - you may very well be in the group that thinks the PZ77U looks better than the PZ700U. I have the luxury of having a LOT of different stores in my travels with mostly good feeds, and several friends and associates with various Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas and others with various LCD TVs so i know what i like and don't like, and i have a pretty good idea what to look for and how to compensate for a less-than-stellar environment or feed.




Quote:
Oh and another question, does the 700U have any enhancements over the 77U for gaming like better refresh rates, quicker response times, ect? I have an XBOX 360 that Im gonna hook up to this bad boy

It should be identical to the PZ700U. No improvements that i'm aware of and Panasonic doesn't do that kind of stuff mid-year anyway.


Quote:
In regards to the sound on the 700U, someone said that it had more wattage, regardless of the higher power speakers, are they better, fuller, richer sounding? Im not worried how loud they go, because I will be in a pretty small room, I much rather how much richer they sound...Are they better sounding speakers?

The PZ77U has the exact same speakers and audio output as your PC77U as well as the PX77U and PE77U. I've heard all these TVs in stores and a few homes like my co-worker (who i set up his PX77U for) and my PZ700U sounds WAY richer than all of em. His PX77U sounds ok, but it simply does not sound nearly as good as my PZ700U does.


PZ77U/PC77U/PX77U/PE77U Audio Output: 10 watts x 2, period. 20 watts.


PZ700U Audio Output: 2.5 watts × 2 for the front speakers plus 13 watts × 2 for the woofers for a total of 31 watts, not to mention much more bass.


The PZ700U/PZ750U models sound much better than any other Panasonic plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I just compared side by side in my home the 42pc77u and the 42pz700u, both from Costco. It was the Saturday Night Live in HD.


There is no comparison. The 42pz700u is better. Much more vibrant HD colors. I think the matt AG filter does dull the picture on the 77u. Why else would Panasonic remove it form the newer models. It is definitely worth the $150 price difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
173 Posts
Due to my 42" 1080p set needing service, I had the 768 set in home as a loaner. Due to the Costco sale yesterday, I now have a third Panny plasma in my home. Yes, the fact that my other set was out of service for 23 days should have given me pause =)


I started with the 50" 700U. Very very happy.


My first 42" was the Z77U. This is the unit that broke. They left a 768 set. I was not happy with the set, but everyone else who looked at it (read: not a complete geek like me) was perfectly happy.


Up until that point, the Z77U was perhaps the purchase with the least amount of buyers remorse I can recall - ever. I did get it at that Sears "triple" sale, so the price point certainly has something to do with how happy I am. The fact that it broke so quickly... =(


Yesterday a friend and I drove about 120 miles to buy 42" 700U's from Costco. I am only a few hours in and the settings are all turned down, so I can't be sure yet.


I think either the Z77U or the 700U would leave me perfectly happy. If you can take advantage of the Costco sale that ends today - I would not hesitate going that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Just a note to add to the opinions here. I just got a 700u via Costco, and after comparing with the 77u (in store), I do like the picture from the 700u better.


That said, the first time I went to CC, they had a 50pz700 and 50pz77 right next to one another, running the same feed, in a semi-dark environment. I had to look behind the sets for the serial number to tell which was which - so these are subtle differences we're discussing as far as I think. I wasn't able to identify the 700u by an obviously better PQ without any other clues.


The other issue is glare. I have two windows and 2 lights (none behind the TV) in my TV-viewing area. With any natural light coming in the windows, or either of the lights on in my room, I definitely see reflections in the PZ700 screen. Now, I'm coming off a traditional (glare-crazy) flat glass SD-CRT, and it's better than that, but if you're used to a relatively glare-free matte screen display, this could be a major issue for you.


I don't want to give the impression that I'm not thrilled with the set (so far I am), but there are considerations based on your viewing habits and preferences that could make the 77u a better pick for you.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top