AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how this set is expected to compare to other existing sony TV's out there?

Good ?

or Pass on it ?

The design is striking, but obviously I am really curious about the quality of this television.

TIA.

Alf

· Registered
3 Posts
Ive been wondering about these sets myself as they sound amazing. They sell it as a monolithic design and say that there is an accessory metallic TV stand for like 200 bucks. I'm wondering if it comes with a regular stand though. Do I just have to lean it up against the wall after I get it until I order a mounting bracket which I don't want or the metallic stand which is too expensive?

Anyone know for sure if it comes with a standard stand?

· Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangordon /forum/post/18133617

Ive been wondering about these sets myself as they sound amazing. They sell it as a monolithic design and say that there is an accessory metallic TV stand for like 200 bucks. I'm wondering if it comes with a regular stand though. Do I just have to lean it up against the wall after I get it until I order a mounting bracket which I don't want or the metallic stand which is too expensive?

Anyone know for sure if it comes with a standard stand?

It comes standard with a stand. The metallic stand is not available for 60".

· Registered
3 Posts
I just noticed on Sony's website that the 46nx800 which was supposed to start shipping this week now says mid May. The 52" and 60" which are supposed to start shipping next week still have the same date, but as that comes and goes I'm betting it will be mid year as well. Oh well, I can hold my purchase off until next month but I'm not going to wait until may just to see if this set is as good as I hope it is, I'll go with a reliable set of today. Does anyone have any concrete information on this?

· Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangordon /forum/post/18147190

I just noticed on Sony's website that the 46nx800 which was supposed to start shipping this week now says mid May. The 52" and 60" which are supposed to start shipping next week still have the same date, but as that comes and goes I'm betting it will be mid year as well. Oh well, I can hold my purchase off until next month but I'm not going to wait until may just to see if this set is as good as I hope it is, I'll go with a reliable set of today. Does anyone have any concrete information on this?

I too, am looking at this set. If it's not shipping in the next few weeks I'll probably settle for the 52XBR9 if I can find it in stock.

· Registered
404 Posts
I ordered, or should I say put one on layaway. It's the 52 incher. I should have it home by mid April. After checking it out in a couple of stores, I had to pull the trigger. I saw with both sat feed & BR. Both looked pretty damn good (once it was tuned in a bit). The wait is already driving me crazy!

· Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 52NX800 for about a week now. It was "pre-ordered" about 3 weeks ago from Sonystyle.com and delivered on 2/24.

So far, the set is great. Picture quality and color (skin tones, etc.) are excellent - I am quite pleased. The screen is moderately reflective (glossy), but the picture brightness is so good that reflections when viewing are not noticed. My set is in a southwest-facing 2-story room with many windows, but there is no problem.

The ethernet wiring is not installed to this location yet, so I have not tried the internet apps.

Having ordered the set sight unseen, I was apprehensive at first, but this TV was the right choice for me. This was one of the few LED/LCD screens that fit perfectly into my 52-inch wide built-in cabinet system that formerly held a rear-projection unit. The "monolithic" look is pleasing. When off, the set seems to disappear -- no gaudy chrome or lights.

· Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BR Randy /forum/post/18259177

I have had my 52NX800 for about a week now. It was "pre-ordered" about 3 weeks ago from Sonystyle.com and delivered on 2/24.

So far, the set is great. Picture quality and color (skin tones, etc.) are excellent - I am quite pleased. The screen is moderately reflective (glossy), but the picture brightness is so good that reflections when viewing are not noticed. My set is in a southwest-facing 2-story room with many windows, but there is no problem.

The ethernet wiring is not installed to this location yet, so I have not tried the internet apps.

Having ordered the set sight unseen, I was apprehensive at first, but this TV was the right choice for me. This was one of the few LED/LCD screens that fit perfectly into my 52-inch wide built-in cabinet system that formerly held a rear-projection unit. The "monolithic" look is pleasing. When off, the set seems to disappear -- no gaudy chrome or lights.

Glad to see you're enjoying it! It's making me look forward to mine. I almost ordered mine sight unseen. Once I saw it in the store, I knew I wanted one. After seeing some of the negative comments about the set, I was wondering if I made "the wrong choice". I should be getting mine by the end of the month.

Cheers!

· Registered
404 Posts
Well, I've had mine for a week now. The reflections are not all that bad. Yes there are some, but (obviously) worse in the daytime. Just a matter of pulling a shade down. At night it's barely noticeable, pretty much a issue of light selection. I have only used the out of the box settings of general and sports. The color to me is pretty spot on. Good skin tones, grass is green...The blacks are not as bad as I thought. Viewing angle does make a difference, but not really a issue in my living room.

Now the but..but last night when we were watching a episode of Law & Order, and a movie, my wife noticed in the night/indoor scenes where there is black prevelant... The black/navy/dark colors were uneven, possibly pixilated? The issue doesn't seem to appear during the daytime. I was looking at the CNET recommended picture settings, and will try them tonight.

The sat box is hooked up to the TV via component connection. I eventually plan on using HDMI connections next week, along with a Blu-Ray as well.

This being my first HDTV experience, I am definitely "green". I don't want to overreact, but don't want to dismiss a real issue either.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

· Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck /forum/post/18388418

Well, I've had mine for a week now. The reflections are not all that bad. Yes there are some, but (obviously) worse in the daytime. Just a matter of pulling a shade down. At night it's barely noticeable, pretty much a issue of light selection. I have only used the out of the box settings of general and sports. The color to me is pretty spot on. Good skin tones, grass is green...The blacks are not as bad as I thought. Viewing angle does make a difference, but not really a issue in my living room.

Now the but..but last night when we were watching a episode of Law & Order, and a movie, my wife noticed in the night/indoor scenes where there is black prevelant... The black/navy/dark colors were uneven, possibly pixilated? The issue doesn't seem to appear during the daytime. I was looking at the CNET recommended picture settings, and will try them tonight.

The sat box is hooked up to the TV via component connection. I eventually plan on using HDMI connections next week, along with a Blu-Ray as well.

This being my first HDTV experience, I am definitely "green". I don't want to overreact, but don't want to dismiss a real issue either.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Keep us posted and let us know if you notice any flash lighting, clouding or uniformity issues as indicated by cnet in their review. I was going to pull the trigger on it until I red the cnet review. But here I think we can get a real world review. Thanks

· Registered
376 Posts
Interested in the 60-inch version.

To verify, is this tv literally a glass panel or glossy? Some Samsung tvs are glossy too but they're not literally glass for example.

Also interested in its black levels and how it compares to Samsung's edge-lit versions as well as screen uniformity.

· Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 /forum/post/18393777

Interested in the 60-inch version.

To verify, is this tv literally a glass panel or glossy? Some Samsung tvs are glossy too but they're not literally glass for example.

Also interested in its black levels and how it compares to Samsung's edge-lit versions as well as screen uniformity.

I believe it is glass. Not sure about the 60 incher, as I have the 52. I'm not sure how it compares to Samsung's, but I'm fairly happy with it. A lot of it depends on the quality of how it was originally filmed. Live, especially with sports it's pretty good. It looks pretty uniform to me. The biggest complaint I have is the off angle viewing, not so great. However, it does swivel.

· Registered
394 Posts
I think the real LCD panel behind the glass cover is also glossy. So it's a glossy panel covered by a sheet of glass.

· Registered
308 Posts
Does anyone know what happened to the 60" model? Most websites and even Sonystyle.com shows product as no longer available. Best Buy's taken the tv out of their system.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.