AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous post asking about the new Samsung 26" LED went unanswered. In the mean time, I picked up the LG version. It's called the 26LE5300.

The reasons I chose it over the Samsung were:

1. The VESA mount is 100x100, meaning I can use my existing tiltable computer monitor base. The Samsung's mount is 100x200.

2. In the store, at extreme angles, the Samsung's screen was very washed out. The LG held its image very nicely at all angles.

Here's the weird thing. LG doesn't have this set on their site yet. They do have the 22" version, which they list as 1080p. (The Samsung 26" is 720p) Best Buy's website lists the LG 26 at 720p, but in-store it says 1080p on the placard. But neither the actual box or the instructions make any mention whatsoever of 1080p OR 720p.

A Google search yields about 50% of sites describing it as 720p and 50% saying 1080p.

I played a supposedly 1080p MKV file from my WDTV (which supports 1080p) and the LG said it was playing back at 1360x768 @ 60hZ. That's the other elusive spec...some places list it as 120hZ; others say 60.

Does anyone know the real deal with this new set? Is it common for LG to be so coy/confusing about their specs? I've never seen a TV that didn't have the resolution printed SOMEWHERE on the box/instructions, or at least on a sticker on the TV itself.

What exactly did I buy?

(BTW, the picture is quite nice. Very natural looking; not over the top with vibrancy like my previous Samsung)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well apparently no one here cares about this set, but if anyone else comes along who does, here's what LG told me today on the phone...

The 26LE5300 is in fact 720p (1300x1768) and 60hZ. They couldn't tell me why so many web pages have it listed as 1080p, nor could they elaborate on why no mention is made of the resolution or refresh rate anywhere on the box or in the manual.

Best Buy's site has the specs correct, but my local BB has the wrong specs posted in store, and yours may too. I suspect there will be a few returns from customers who thought they were getting a 1080p TV based on the Best Buy in store placard and the sticker they put on the box. It doesn't make sense though that it would be 1080p, since the Samsung sitting directly next to it for $50 more is only 720p.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does this set have an IPS panel? I think that may explain the higher price and good viewing angles. If it doesn't dark out from the bottom then it should be.

I really wanted this set but it's a tad too big for my kitchen(as are all 26") and bit high on the price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggo /forum/post/18325210

Does this set have an IPS panel? I think that may explain the higher price and good viewing angles. If it doesn't dark out from the bottom then it should be.

I really wanted this set but it's a tad too big for my kitchen(as are all 26") and bit high on the price.

Can't tell you for sure if it's IPS, but every other bedroom TV I've owned (all 3 of them were 23" and smaller) went dark at the top of the screen when viewing from below, which is where we watch TV from (on the bed, with the TV up on a high dresser). This LG does not go dark. If that's the hallmark of IPS, I'd bet it's IPS. It even looks good from extreme side angles, and better than Samsung's new LED 26".

With my previous TV, I had to angle it downwards considerably to alleviate the darkening of the screen. With the LG, I have it angled down just a bit to reduce the trapezoid effect of looking upward at it. The color and contrast are not an issue at any angle.

If you think a 26" screen is just too big for your kitchen, well, I always thought a 19" would be perfect for my bedroom. That was 3 TVs ago (19>22>23, and now 26"). The diagonal measurements of widescreen TVs are a bit deceptive. In the old days, a 26" tube set was a monster because it was square. A modern 26" LCD screen is obviously much shorter in height than an old school 26". Watching standard def on a 26" LCD is probably more like watching it on an old 19" tube TV once you account for the black side bars.

If you're not worried about the screen being too big but are concerned it won't fit in your kitchen, you might check the dimensions of the actual TV before deciding it's too big. The bezels on these things keep getting thinner and thinner. My last TV was a 23" Samsung HDMI monitor. By the outer dimensions, the 26" LG is really only 2 inches larger than the Samsung, even though the screen is 3" larger.

As for price, I wouldn't be surprised if this model came down to around $400 by mid summer. I don't think $500 is a sustainable price, with 32" models going for the same. It's the tech tax for the early adopters like me who have been hankering for a super thin 26" TV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was actually planning on buying this TV. It is going to be for my dorm room. Primarily i plan on using it for gaming, so my question is have you noticed any ghosting or anything like that? I know it has a 2.4 ms response time so that shouldn't be a problem, but i have had other TV's with very fast response times and have had ghosting galore *cough* Sony *cough*.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for posting some of the first comments on this new set.

A couple of questions:

- How is the sound quality?

- Does the stand allow you to tilt the screen up or downward.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to buy this too. How does SD content look on this screen? And have you tried gaming on it? Thoughts on ghosting/blurring or input lag?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I'm looking at the same TV for my bedroom. Some feedback would be nice. I have a LG47LH90 I love so I thought I'd give this a try.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its not a review of 26LE5300 but of 42LE7900. Both use edge LED backlit.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...-LED-LCD-TV/p3

Quote:
So how come the picture mark for this TV only reads an 8, not a 9 or even a 10? Because, unfortunately, the 42LE7900 falls prey to that classic LCD problem of an indifferent black level response.

At its most basic level, this problem finds parts of dark pictures that should look black instead wearing a gentle bluish tone that no amount of tinkering with the 42LE7900's reams of settings entirely got rid of.

More aggravating, though, is the hefty extent to which black levels reduce if you watch the screen from an angle of more than just 30 to 40 degrees; the amount of reflections you get on the rather glassy screen if your room is bright; and the slight backlight inconsistencies you have to put up with.

This latter consistency problem is at its worst, sadly, when you switch the Local Dimming feature on. For while this feature is passably helpful during bright scenes, giving peak whites and bright colours a little extra sparkle, during dark scenes it can result in weird chunks of the screen looking brighter than the rest.

If you want to see this at its most obvious, darken the room a bit, and play something on the TV that features white text in the centre of a black screen, such as the legal disclaimers at the start of some Blu-rays. What you'll see is a clear 'square' around the text that looks brighter than the image to either side, thanks to the edge LEDs in the area where the text is working harder than those handling the dark bits.
Quote:
Thankfully, of course, you can actually turn off the LED dimming system if you struggle with it as much as I did. But it's a shame to see such a promising feature not quite working as we'd hoped it might.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The LE5300 series is 1080p 120hz from 32" and up. The 26" and below are only 720p. If you can do with it, I would strongly recommend going to the 32" model.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm looking for a TV to replace a 37" Panny plasma in my bedroom (I'm looking to save some energy). IMHO, 37" is the perfect size to go at the end of a bed.

I have been considering the 37LE5300. Haven't seen it in person. Yours is the only review of a LE5300 I have read.

I'm also interested in the Panny 37" D2 led. There are no reviews of that at all.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj /forum/post/18311431

In the store, at extreme angles, the Samsung's screen was very washed out. The LG held its image very nicely at all angles.

I witnessed this myself today. Definitely good viewing angles on the 26" LE5300. It must be IPS. But I'm interested in the 22" model (which I can't find in stores), and I'm afraid that one won't have the same type of panel. *sigh* I would (maybe) be willing to stomach the high price tag if I knew that the 22" looked as good off-angle as the 26" does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj /forum/post/18311431

Is it common for LG to be so coy/confusing about their specs?

Yes, it is. I like LG, but they are terrible about publishing conflicting and inaccurate info.

FWIW, I also saw the LG 26LD350 in a different store. Viewing angle was not as good, but image quality was better than the other small LCDs next to it -- specifically a Samsung LN26C350 and a Sony KDL-22BX300. The Samsung's blacks were the most blue-tinged, and it was especially ugly off-angle. Blacks were just poor. The Sony had noticeable flashlighting. Pretty weak competition, but the 26LD350 was the best of them. I wish I could see the 22LD350 and 22LE5300 side-by-side.

Anyway, the LG models made a positive impression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm heavily considering getting this set to replace my Samsung 26" PVA TV. For those that have it or have seen it in person, how are the black levels, both from straight on and from off-angles?

I recently got a 32" IPS Panasonic (L32X2) and the blacks were atrocious, especially outside the "sweet spot". It turned grey. I mean, perfectly half-way between white and black. I had to return it because it was a colossal step down from my current TV. I don't know if I got a bad unit or what, but it had the worst black levels of any LCD I've owned.

Now I know IPS panels are worse at black levels than PVA by their very nature, but your kind words about the angles on the 26LE5300 have me curious. Does that take the black levels into account? Because to me no matter how good the colors are from off angles, bad black levels ruin good LCD picture quality.

Is it any good in that regard? Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In shopping for a 32" to use with a PC I saw both the 32LE5300 and 32LE5400. The 32LE5400 had a better black level.

The viewing angles were great on both. Both use IPS panels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 26LE5300's have dropped in price significantly. I'm about ready to go for one. Anybody out there have one of these, and how do you like it? Thanks for any critique!

Mike.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundramike /forum/post/19075254

The 26LE5300's have dropped in price significantly. I'm about ready to go for one. Anybody out there have one of these, and how do you like it? Thanks for any critique!

Mike.

I've seen them on display at three different stores and they were definitely the best looking 26" TVs on the shelf. I'm thinking about getting one for our smallest bedroom.

·
Registered
809 Posts
they where selling this set on qvc the other night 26 inch razor with 1080p

but with a screen this size i dont think haveing 1080p really matters

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 /forum/post/19076230

they where selling this set on qvc the other night 26 inch razor with 1080p

but with a screen this size i dont think haveing 1080p really matters

It doesn't. I don't generally recommend 1080p until you get at least 32" and some people think even 40" may be the minimum for that resolution.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj /forum/post/18325125

Well apparently no one here cares about this set, but if anyone else comes along who does, here's what LG told me today on the phone...

The 26LE5300 is in fact 720p (1300x1768) and 60hZ. They couldn't tell me why so many web pages have it listed as 1080p, nor could they elaborate on why no mention is made of the resolution or refresh rate anywhere on the box or in the manual.

1300x1768 ?

I think you meant 1366 x 768.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts