AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
I'd rather purchase from GIK Acoustics . They actually test their panels and have data for their performance. Also, Glenn can answer any of your questions that you might have about his products. The price is comparable to the site you listed. Their website also has tools that help you understand the best way to set up the panels and why you should look into the thicker panels or even the tri-corner traps (so-called bass traps).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts
Yes, it's hard to screw up acoustic panels which are just fabric covered Owens Corning 703 or 705, but it can be done.



For example, one of the fabric options from this company is "suede." Even the product known as "SoundSuede" has fairly bad acoustical properties. By my measurements, it reflects about half the sound hitting it even at mid frequencies. This means that you would need around 2X the number of panels than for those using relatively acoustically transparent fabric!


Regards,

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/15446103


Yes, it's hard to screw up acoustic panels which are just fabric covered Owens Corning 703 or 705, but it can be done.



For example, one of the fabric options from this company is "suede." Even the product known as "SoundSuede" has fairly bad acoustical properties. By my measurements, it reflects about half the sound hitting it even at mid frequencies. This means that you would need around 2X the number of panels than for those using relatively acoustically transparent fabric!


Regards,

Terry

In theory, would soundsuede be good for bass traps? (To prevent over absorption of highs?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/15448212


In theory, would soundsuede be good for bass traps? (To prevent over absorption of highs?)

Quite possibly. It is even good for wideband absorption, if you specifically design for it.



I had a client who wanted SoundSuede. He hated the look of Guilford fabrics. I explained that the treatment area would need to be larger, but that it could certainly be done. That's what he wanted, and that's the design that I delivered.


He is very happy with the room. So am I. I provided a top quality design which met all his expectations. There are dozens of engineering tradeoffs and optimizations to be made when designing a room. This is a good example. In this case, aesthetics trumped minimizing treatment area.


Regards,

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so for someone who is strapped for cash i can by these and hear a difference? my living room is about 20ftx15 i was thinking of buyin 8 24x12x2 panels and add more as the money comes thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 /forum/post/15452212


ok so for someone who is strapped for cash i can by these and hear a difference? my living room is about 20ftx15 i was thinking of buyin 8 24x12x2 panels and add more as the money comes thanks

Have you called GIK to see what they think? They know their products and will work with you to make the best use of your money. Quite frankly, they will ask you questions about your room and depending on how you answer, they may suggest some products that differ from just the 2" panels. For example, I might expect them to suggest the 4" panels as a start.


Additionally, it would be more useful to get the 4'x2' panels rather than 2'x1' panels. Only reason I suggest GIK is because they have a money back guarantee, and they have people who will help talk you through this process so that you understand what to expect. I am not sure if the company you linked to has such customer support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
I ordered the package 2 in the tan suede and it should arive tomarrow. I'll let you know how well they work. I wanted the (real traps) but for the price of two bass traps from real traps I was able to take care of the whole room for the same cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXPorlando /forum/post/15456077


I ordered the package 2 in the tan suede and it should arive tomarrow. I'll let you know how well they work. I wanted the (real traps) but for the price of two bass traps from real traps I was able to take care of the whole room for the same cash.

RX so u ordered thru the company i provided in link or thru GIK? OK please let us know how they perform! thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 /forum/post/15456605


RX so u ordered thru the company i provided in link or thru GIK? OK please let us know how they perform! thanks

The owner of GIK sometimes posts on these forums as well under the handle Myfiepie or something like that. From Real Traps, Ethan Winer posts quite often as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/15446103


Yes, it's hard to screw up acoustic panels which are just fabric covered Owens Corning 703 or 705, but it can be done.



For example, one of the fabric options from this company is "suede."

Yes, and another company sells 4-inch panels for corner bass traps with a rigid plywood backing. I imagine they were pretty embarrassed when that got out, because now they offer an option to remove most of the wood leaving only the outer perimeter.


Room treatment may be relatively low tech, though its application is anything but.



--Ethan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
If someone feels this should be in a new thread please let me know.


I will be installing acoustic panels in my listening room in the next month or so. My speakers (MMG's) are almost directly in front of two windows (about 30" behind speakers). I will be getting new drapes and wonder if there are some materials I should use/avoid as it relates to sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Well boys the panels are in. I'll get them up tonight and give you my oppionion on performance tomarrow. They do look nice and should pass the wife test? These are going in the bed room were I'm running the onkyo 876 with a orb mod 2 7.1 with the super 8 sub with pioneer elite 50in and a BD-50 blue ray player. The room size is 13x14.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Acoustmatic! The suede kind,pre made. Befor passing out,I was able to hang and setup the panels and redo the Audyssey on my 876.


So far I've noticed the DB setting for each speaker after the audyssey setup have change. Now there -2,-3 compaired to -6,-7 for each speaker.


Also the speaker distances are right on the money now, compaired to haveing a couple that would get set 6in to 1ft off true distance.


Also noticed the test tone had no eco during setup.


I'll report more tomarrow after watching a movie tonight and also I'll report what my wife says.
Will she think it's worth the 600 buck investment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXPorlando /forum/post/15484355


Acoustmatic! The suede kind,pre made. Befor passing out,I was able to hang and setup the panels and redo the Audyssey on my 876.


So far I've noticed the DB setting for each speaker after the audyssey setup have change. Now there -2,-3 compaired to -6,-7 for each speaker.


Also the speaker distances are right on the money now, compaired to haveing a couple that would get set 6in to 1ft off true distance.


Also noticed the test tone had no eco during setup.


I'll report more tomarrow after watching a movie tonight and also I'll report what my wife says.
Will she think it's worth the 600 buck investment?

Thanks - you said $600, I see it as $674 and isn't shipping pretty expensive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXPorlando /forum/post/15479343


Well boys the panels are in. I'll get them up tonight and give you my oppionion on performance tomarrow. They do look nice and should pass the wife test? These are going in the bed room were I'm running the onkyo 876 with a orb mod 2 7.1 with the super 8 sub with pioneer elite 50in and a BD-50 blue ray player. The room size is 13x14.

Looking forward to hear the results. Just wondering......is the floor in your bedroom carpeted? And what do you have covering the window(s)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
ok so for someone who is strapped for cash i can by these and hear a difference? my living room is about 20ftx15 i was thinking of buyin 8 24x12x2 panels and add more as the money comes thanks

if money is an issue build your own.


48x24x1 OC703 can be purchased from ebay, you can go to a local fabric store and find lots of cloth options. Keeping it simple you just find black material that is not shiny. Use 1" wood as a frame and wrap the cloth around it. Hang the panels at reflection points in your room and maybe build 4" thick ones to place in corners.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top