AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a samsung 50 inch 720p plasma. Isit 9-10 feet from the tv.

so far the picture is awesome except kind of crappy on some sd channels which I know is the fault of the signal.

I will likely get blu ray soon and hope I don`t regret not going for the 1080p model.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Zero regrets here but then it is a Pioneer Elite and I sit 12 feet away. Actually the PQ is simply friggin' stunning and I will be more than happy for the next decade.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Every time I think about 720p vs 1080p I just think to myself what happened in 07 when cnet rated the 5080 as their top plasma.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There were couple of times that I thought 720p was not enough. But in every case, it turns out the source material was the issue. At this time, there is simply not enough REAL 1080p source material.

When I watch some of the 1080p sets in the store, I also thought that I really screwed up getting my 768p 5080HD. But the key is to watch the 1080p TVs carefully and understand that the picture is overly processed. So the picture has a huge pop but you slowly realize that it is not the 1080p. When you strip away the additional processing, the resolution is the least important quality of the TV set.

Now after saying all that if there were not a $1700 difference between the 768p and 1080p Pioneer, I would definitely gotten the 1080p.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
No. at 50"/12ft, 1080p is useless to me...and an unnecessary expense.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So what do you think if my seating position is about 7 to 8 feet away. Should I go for the 1080P? It won't be for a year anyway but from what I've read, at that distance, 1080P would be worth it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry_e /forum/post/14306636

I just got a samsung 50 inch 720p plasma. Isit 9-10 feet from the tv.

so far the picture is awesome except kind of crappy on some sd channels which I know is the fault of the signal.

I will likely get blu ray soon and hope I don`t regret not going for the 1080p model.

It really doesn't matter, you are at the viewing distance were you will not really see a difference and unless you are watching Blu Ray Movies all of the time you should not worry. Blu Ray Movies Look great on 720P TV's.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I wish I had the money to buy a pioneer. 1080 I could care less about. I have no blu ray. I game, but neither the 360 nor the wii output 1080p for gaming (well 360 can, but gamemakers all use 720p). All broadcast channels are in 1080i or 720p. What would be the point of 1080p? Oh for blu-ray. I have watched 1080p and 720p side by side and can't tell. However, I like the smaller pixels on 1080p. My samsung dithers though so the SDE is not apparent on it.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich /forum/post/14311164

I wish I had the money to buy a pioneer. 1080 I could care less about. I have no blu ray. I game, but neither the 360 nor the wii output 1080p for gaming (well 360 can, but gamemakers all use 720p). All broadcast channels are in 1080i or 720p. What would be the point of 1080p? Oh for blu-ray. I have watched 1080p and 720p side by side and can't tell. However, I like the smaller pixels on 1080p. My samsung dithers though so the SDE is not apparent on it.

SDE and dithering aren't related. Dithering wouldnt' make SDE any less noticeable, unless it was so horrible that you were distracted by it and therefore couldnt' see the SDE.

You also don't need a 1080p souce to get an advantage from a 1080p TV -- 1080i channels and sources will also show significantly more detail. In fact, in most cases 1080i and 1080p are functionally the same thing.

What 1080p really gives you is the option to sit closer to the TV. If you're too far away to see SDE or the additional detail from 1080i/p sources, then certainly save the money and get a lower resolution set.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
but if you watch tv from the same distance you were watching 720p, a 1080p same size you will see less sde and dithering will be less noticeable.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 /forum/post/14311597

but if you watch tv from the same distance you were watching 720p, a 1080p same size you will see less sde and dithering will be less noticeable.

Yes, but at a certain distance you wouldn't be able to see any improvement. That's the point where 720p is good enough. For some people it's as close as 5 or 6 feet, for others it's much further.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i sit at 6fit from a 720p 42" and i feel a 1080 will be better from that distance (if there were 1080p 42" which i think they don´t exist). dithering would be less noticible from my sitting distance.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 /forum/post/14311866

i sit at 6fit from a 720p 42" and i feel a 1080 will be better from that distance (if there were 1080p 42" which i think they don´t exist). dithering would be less noticible from my sitting distance.

They exsists, Panasonic would be the best choice if you are looking in that direction.

·
Vendor
29,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry_e /forum/post/14306636

You will still get plenty of enjoyment out of Blu Ray with a 1080P set. All movies will still be in HD. I am positive you will notice a big difference from a regular DVD player. A 1080P set would be a little sharper and crisper but probably would not be noticed from your distance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been reading this thread and haven't found a specific reference to my situation. I understand the distance factor in 720 vs. 1080 but as I'm relocating soon and don't have a house yet, I don't know what my viewing distance will be yet so I can't yet factor this in.

My question relates instead to my intention to use my new Oppo 983H for upconverting my large library of SD DVD's (I don't anticipate going to BR any time soon although I might start viewing HDTV when I get a new tv provider).

Does anyone think it worth the additional cost of choosing a 1080 set (probably the TH-50PZ800U when it comes down a little..) or am I likely not to see much difference even using the Oppo 983H?

All opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've always read on Cnet and other sources that the difference between 1080p and 720p is not really noticable until you go over 50 inches and sit close to the display.

I'm assuming that these statements relate to high def movie viewing. Would the difference between 1080p and 720p be more discenable on a video game or if you use your display as a computer monitor? I'm thinking the difference would be a lot more pronounced on these types of materials versus movies but I haven't had the chance to test it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Depends on the size of the screen. People have been buying higher resolution PC monitors for years. At 50 inches, I might not care. But at 60+ inches I would regret not getting 1080p.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Zero regrets here. I sit about 9' - 10' away and my 5080 looks stunning with both SD and HD material. 1080p is overrated.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts