AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a Slingbox and have an iPhone but where I will be using it I cannot get on a 3G connection, so does anyone know if the Slingbox will run on an iPhone over the EDGE Network? If it works, is it choppy or can you actually enjoy watching something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you are using the app, could you please switch your iPhone over to Edge and see if it works and is watchable.

Thanks a bunch for the test drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, how is the battery life while running it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
No it does not work on EDGE. it is just WAY to slow to get a decent quality. it attempts the connecting, gives you 5 seconds of TERRIBLE quality video, then spends 10+ seconds buffering the stream again.

This is why sling doesn't say that it is supported. The network is just too slow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks; that's disappointing. It sounds like the MLB app's live games from last season - useless.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not useless. Far from it. The EDGE network is just not designed for that type of data load. I love my slingbox, and it's glorious on 3g.

What you should do is pressure AT&T to put a 3g tower in your area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I meant the MLB app's video was useless - maybe it is the Edge problem; don't recall if I ever tried it on 3G.

It's actually the bldg. I work in - they have an Edge thing down the hall somewhere. I guess I should see what it will take to get them to put in a 3G. I'm just guessing they won't bother for a few dozen or so folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts