AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a phantom center now as I have no space, but I've been thinking about above the TV now. How high is too high for a center??

Anyone have their center above the TV.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine sits at 54" to center of speaker on top of old table top CRT/RPTV, angled to ear height at listening position 12' away. How high is to high depends upon ceiling height and distance from LP. I wouldn't want it at a 6-7' height with a 8' ceiling (reflections).

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Raise 'em up

My front three LCR's are about 6' high, angled down and in appropriately, all directly on axis to the primary LP.

As long as acoustic aspects of the adjacent surfaces are addressed, I feel the above the display, and aimed down and in approach is a very good solution to covering a room's listeners. I have as much live sound background, as I do home audio enthusiast experience. That said, when one is attempting to cover a room which has varying positions front-to-back, mains at normal seated ear height become problematic. This is true regardless of venue type,...small family room, full tilt HT, to a theater environment. Covering the listening positions with critical MF/HF is certainly facilitated by elevating the mains, and aiming them down and in.

Typically, the theoretical ideal is all three mains in an even horizontal plane, and aimed for axial listening. To accomplish this in a room with listeners at varying distances from the front, the only answer is proper elevation and aiming.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Mine's above the TV and angled down. Rubber doorstops work great for that purpose.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm looking for a new solution to mount my center polk above my new TV like I used to have it on my old Sony (Grand WEGA Rear Projection 3LCD). But after reading this, I think I might have done something I shouldn't have by placing it on top of the TV instead of under it?

This is the setup I was running ( http://goo.gl/ljbKL - general picture) and I had the tv on a computer table at eye level (prob around 2-3 feet up off the ground) so the center channel was sitting above the TV, above my head if we are talking line of sight.

Now for my new Samsung LED tv (6000 series, thin) I am going to use a wall mount that swivels/tilts and set it again at comfortable eye level and was thinking what to do with the center, since that shelf would not work due to this TV being so thin. I saw this ( http://goo.gl/DoJ9E ), but the shelf on top doesnt look that wide to support the spekar itself or should I mount it under the tv? and raise the tv up higher tilted down a bit? What I want as well is the speaker to move with the tv if swiveled.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.