AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the current issue of WSR and, along with Dolby's and DTS's website, they recommend setting your speakers in an equidistant arc around you (although there is some disagreement on "angle" of surrounds).

Since I figure that my room is fairly typical (14 X 20), I'm wondering how many HT setups have the LCR and surrounds perfectly circled around the primary seating position. It would seem that the real-world issues in most rooms - seats, aisles, surrounds, etc. - would make this difficult. Best I can hope for in my room is a "perfect oval", and let my pre/pro compensate for the differences...

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've never used this setup, but it has me curious...

Here's what Dolby suggests

I might be missing something here, but I believe that unless you are having issues with proper balance and delay settings, the equidistant placement should not be necessary.

Do you by chance have any links or quotes to share? I'm in the (long, slow) process of setting up my HT again, and I'd like to see what they have to say...

Take Care,

Karl

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll look for the link and post it. I think the equidistant placement is geared more toward multi-channel audio where BM and distance compensation is less prevalent...

John

·
Registered
770 Posts
The circle/ITU method could also be called the Big Room or Small Screen method.

With the circle, if you want an 8ft screen, given the 1.5 times screen rule, you would at least be 12ft from the screen and the center speaker. So if your sides are say 10ft from you and backs another 10ft your room is 20x22, which is pretty big.

And fitting the circle into your 14x22 room gives you a radius of 7, which translates into maybe a 5ft screen.

If it's audio first, go perfect circle. If it's video first go imperfect circle. I've chosen imperfect circle for my 11.5 x 19.5 room.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kal:

Can you describe what one gives up by "stretching" the circle to fit most real-world rooms?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Robert
I'll look for the link and post it. I think the equidistant placement is geared more toward multi-channel audio where BM and distance compensation is less prevalent...

John
Thanks, John. I was thinking from the perspective of strictly video viewing, had not even thought about multi-channel audio. Puts a little different light on things. I am relatively new to the world of multi-channel audio, but you've given me some food for thought. I'm interested in watching this thread develop.

Karl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
I use the circle/ITU arrangement with a 50" plasma. However, it is audio first, with me.

Kal
Interesting. I have to admit that when I listen to audio only, it's almost always two-channel. I've not yet begun a trip into the world of multi-channel audio, and the only SACD I currently own is the Telarc 1812 release on SACD. That, I am sure, will change once I actually have all the other channels set up :D (long story).

Thanks,

Karl

·
Registered
30,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Robert
Kal:

Can you describe what one gives up by "stretching" the circle to fit most real-world rooms?

Thanks,

John
Hard to say since one can usually compensate for the amplitude and arrival-time differences. (If one cannot, of course, one can expect the image to fall apart.) Probably depends on the room acoustics.

I will, however, find out soon as I am converting my other system to MCH and ITU arrangement is impossible in that room.

Kal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.