AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my third Gyration wireless receiver. Each one works for about a week - and works great - and then the receiver stops working. It stops working after a few days of non-use. What happens is the keyboard and mouse stop working, so I go to the receiver to re-learn the devices. The led on the receiver blinks slowly as it should, but when I push the teach button on the devices, the receiver never changes modes and the light never starts blinking quickly. But the receiver shows the caps lock etc when active on a computer with a regular PS2 keyboard.

When it works, it works great. I only use the PC in my rack for RTV serving and storage, mp3s, internet and email. So no games or DVD playback - other than the new WM9HD DVDs. I sit about 15 feet from the rack and am separated by one wall and the big plasma.

I have an active 802.11b network, 2.4 wireless phone, rf remote control system and other stuff. But this stuff doesn't affect the keyboard or mouse when they are working.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I think after reading all the recent wireless threads here, I am going to get a cheap PS2 keyboard and mouse and long extension cables and pull them out of the cabinet when I want to use them.

Thanks for the help.

E. J.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got the Ultra keyboard and mouse for Christmas vacation and I had to return it to CompUSA.

The receiver would never learn from the keyboard or mouse.

It did just like yours did. I did get it to associate once, but then it worked really bad even a few feet away and I tried to relearn it on a different channel. After that it never associated again.

I'm wondering if we got bad units or what?

I did some research on the RF and it seems like the Gyro Ultra uses 40 something megahertz if I remember correctly. I did have a phone near that range, but unplugging it didn't seems to change anything.

I doubt if anything in the gigahertz range would interfere with it.

But obviously SOMETHING is screwing it up.

Too bad too, because I REALLY want this stuff to work. I would get a bluetooth combo, but I like the gyro feature for my screen.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think I had this problem and rectified it by changing channels prior to learning. I think that interference was preventing any communication between the devices and the new channel allowed it to communicate and learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased the Ultra mouse and keyboard and everything worked flawlessly out of the box. I was out of town for several weeks around Christmas and when I returned home the Gyration RF receiver was not receiving either the mouse or the keyboard.

All attempts to perform the teach/learn failed on all channels, exactly as ejfiii described in the orginal post for the thread.

Last week, I finally had time to call Gyration support. After talking with the support tech, Gyration is sending a replacement for the RF receiver (my current model is:LB00062-001 REV A). I asked the tech if this was a known problem. The answer I was given from Gyration's support tech is that there was known problem with a batch of RF receivers.

If you are returning Ultra Gyration Mouse and Keyboard to a local retailer for another box, you may be just encountering the same problem over and over, if in fact this is a known problem with a batch of RF receivers as I was told by the support tech.

Also, if you call Gyration's tech support, they are apparently short handed at the moment so just be aware of this. But once I was able to get through, everything went smoothly and I received email confirmation the next day that the shipment was made.

So hopefully I will receive my replacement RF receiver by Monday or Tuesday and that it will correct the problems that I had.

Good luck

:) :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Latro
Last week, I finally had time to call Gyration support. After talking with the support tech, Gyration is sending a replacement for the RF receiver (model:LB00062-001 REV A). I asked the tech if this was a known problem. The answer I was given from Gyration's support tech is that there was known problem with a batch of RF receivers.
Thanks guys.

Latro, the problem is that if thats the case, then they have a bad batch at the factory too as I am on my third receiver now. The first one from CompUSA and the other two from them at the company directly.

Uggggg.

E. J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had purchased mine directly from Gyration online.

I am hopeful that everything works out.

But I am also concerned that the problems repeat with the replacement.

ejfiii ,from what you are saying then is that the problems may not be rectified from the factory yet.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I am saying is that I have had three bad receivers. One (the original) from DC area CompUSA. The two replacements have come directly from Gyration tech support RMA.

E. J.

·
Registered
776 Posts
"I recently purchased the Ultra mouse and keyboard and everything worked flawlessly out of the box. I was out of town for several weeks around Christmas and when I returned home the Gyration RF receiver was not receiving either the mouse or the keyboard.

All attempts to perform the teach/learn failed on all channels, exactly as ejfiii described in the orginal post for the thread."

I have the EXACT same problem as the two above. I am in the process of contacting Gyration. I have 2 other older model non-Ultra, Gyration remotes that continue to work flawlessly.

hjackson

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am also on my third gyration and I am really hoping this one will last. Each one made it about 1-2 weeks before I gott the exact same symptoms...I could not retrain the keyboard and/or mouse. The first time I think it was the mouse, but the second time it was definitely the keyboard that would not retrain. I hope they sort this out...I love this keyboard and mouse. The first one was purchased from Staples in Florida, the second 2 were from Staples in CT. This is a far reaching problem or Gyration.

So far....after my first week with this 3rd unit things seems to be working.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice to see you all hear today! I also have this issue with the keyboard/gyro combo. I am on my second , both purchased from Staples. This is what I have found. If I teach the receiver the mouse first, I always get a working mouse but the receiver will not learn the keyboard. This is only if the keyboard is on a different channel then the mouse. If both devices are on the same channel the receiver will learn each device. Sucks for gaming though since you can't use both simultaneously while on the same channel.

P

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
i had a problem with my first but the second has been operating flawlessly for almost a year now...i was really annoyed the first time when i conversed with tech support (via email, rather efficiently i might add) and they told me to make sure the batteries weren't dead!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm on my third gyration and just had to send my mouse back to gyration because I'm outside of the 30 days.

They definately have a quality control problem. I hope the problem was with the mouse and not the receiver as some of you have experienced. I don't want to be without a HTPC for that long... it's tough watching dvds and web surfing with just a keyboard =)

When the suite works, it works great... but I've had alot of problems with the first 2 sets which I had to return for various reasons.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem -- It's been driving me batty! =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Short update:

I received my replacement RF receiver today. I phoned Gyration tech support on Thurs night and received my replacement Monday, have to give them props on the speedy delivery.

Also, my original RF receiver was model:LB00062-001 REV A. The receiver I received in the mail today is model:LB00062-001 REV B. I am at least relieved to see a Rev change to the model #. Hopefully REV B corrects the problems.

Fingers Crossed

:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just wanted to add my voice to the list - concerned owner of Gyration Ultra.

Everything worked fine for a few weeks. Yesterday, found out that neither the keyboard nor the mouse work. After about 20 minutes of playing around, got the mouse working, but not the keyboard. Was not able to get the keyboard going ever again. I did change the batteries in the keyboard though :)

Have not had a chance to call tech support yet, but I will within the next few days.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I am on my third media center remote and keyboard. I had the exact same problem and am now having it again.

Frank

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Latro
The receiver I received in the mail today is model:LB00062-001 REV B.
Thats the same model number of the third one I have that is bad.

Good luck.

E. J.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 90c4
I think I had this problem and rectified it by changing channels prior to learning. I think that interference was preventing any communication between the devices and the new channel allowed it to communicate and learn.
Oddly enough, mine crapped out yesterday and is totally unresponsive. They're sending me another receiver.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hahaha... The same thing is happing to my keyboard but not the mouse. Will relearn mouse just not the keyboard and yes I have replaced the batts. Looks like I will be making a calll today when I get home from work. Kinda makes you wonder why they are still selling faulty rf units...

BTW, incase I cannot find my instructions does someone have Gyrations #?

will report back.

Thanks,

V_1138

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Their tech support is horrible. As previously stated, this is my third receiver that has gone bad, and they know that. Now this time they want me to send in all the parts before they will send out replacements. But last time, they sent out the receiver before I sent back the bad one.

Then on the phone, when you get someone, they transfer you to someone else and all you get is voicemail that goes unreturned. I have talked to an upper level manager, the tech support manager and the two tech support guys.

This sucks.

I am going to put in a wired solution for both keyboard and mouse with long cables that I can store in a base cabinet when not in use. i will go through the motions of getting this fixed, but will always use the wired one as the backup/primary.

E. J.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.