AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into setting up a HTPC and I am trying to find people with a setup that I will eventually have. (I would primarily use my HTPC for games and surfing the net. No dvd or recording)

I have a Mits ws65809. It is capable of only RGBHV or component only. No vga, firewire or dvi. OK, it has s-video but forget that.

I haven't bought the parts for my HTPC so I could go with either ATI or GForce for a video card.

I guess what I am asking is, does anyone have a similar set up, how does it work, what resolutions are you getting, Advantages or disadvantages of RGBHV vs component, anything else I should be aware of.

I am mostly concerned with getting the best connection from my pc to tv. I will worry about settings after I get the parts and cables for the hookup.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Help us understand your question...

You want to set up a HTPC (HomeTheaterPC), but not use it as an HTPC. Instead you want to use it to play games and surf the net on your old Mitsubishi TV.

If that's the case, why noy buy an eMachine for $300 at Costco and buy a new TV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GLucas
Help us understand your question...

You want to set up a HTPC (HomeTheaterPC), but not use it as an HTPC. Instead you want to use it to play games and surf the net on your old Mitsubishi TV.

If that's the case, why noy buy an eMachine for $300 at Costco and buy a new TV.
I said primarily use for playing games and surfing. If I get a good setup I would definetly use it for other HT applications. I just want to make sure I CAN set it up with good results first.. without too many issues and higher resolutions. Hey, its better then looking at a 17 inch screen right?

By the way, if you weren't going to add something that would actually help with my question, you could have just as well not replied. But I suppose, buying another $2000-3000 HDTV and $300 piece of crap pc is much better then using my current "old" $2000 65 inch mits and just dropping around $600 for a few pc parts to go along with the 4 pc's I already have networked with file, music servers would be much better.

Of course I can use one of my pc's I already have, my question is more concerned with the connection from my pc to hdtv and what is the best choice. I would be grateful if you could answer that question.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I just mine set up to my 65907.

You need to buy a VGA breakout cable...I got mine for $25 at a local store. You will need the BNC to component adpaters too.

Then get Powerstrip and put in a custom resolution of 960x540p (something close to that)....try starting there.

Do a search and check out: www.digitalconnection.com

You will then be able to watch HD clips, trailers, etc.

I am working on setting up gaming resolutions now too.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I've been using a Mits WT-46805 via RGBHV for a while now. I can get 856x480 in 540p timings with no overscan. Not all games understand wide screen (16:9) resolutions.

Since the Mits accepts RGBHV there really isn't much of a reason to consider using component video unless you already have a transcoder or want to try the ATI component video adapter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Mits. 46-805 (same thing as yours only smaller ;-) ... all you need is a vga -> 5 BNC (and 5 BNC -> RCA converters -- why Mitsubishi chose to use RCA style jacks for the RGBHV / Component inputs is beyond me.)

Once you have that you can use any modern video card combined with powerstrip (do a search on here for custom resolutions) to do what you want. Since DVD quality is not what you are after I would suggest going with the fastest gaming card you can afford ;-). IF you later would like to play DVD's I would suggest going with an ATI (9600 will be fine).

I run 856X480 windowboxed in 540P timings (again do a search on custom resolutions for an explanation) for my windows desktop and 1440X480 for DVD playback (gives 2X vertical scaling -- on a 46" TV there is not much of a difference but wtf).

Any questions don't hesitate to ask ... I know all I did was give the "bare bones" basics for what is required.

--Brian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to all of the positive and informative responses! Even more information then I was looking for.

Exactly what I was looking for, someone with my type of tv connections who has a similar set up to what I am looking for.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.