AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm anxious to bite the bullet tonight and get version 4 to check PQ. Will Version 4 output to all channels without any problems using the Delta 410? Version 3.1 DTS would leave the Mute OSD on and I could only use version 3.0 DTS. If no response I will install and test the trial version in DD 5.1 later when I fire up the projector. Will it will output multichannel in trial version?

·
Registered
704 Posts
also curious. anyone?

but what about DTS-ES discrete? it looks like from the intervideo site that version 4 only gives matrix decoding.

will we ever be able to get 6 actual channels out of a 410 (about 90% of the reason that I have a 410.)

-jeff

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Downloaded and tried the trial version last night. Could only select 2 channel mode, but I think that is all that is available on trial version. Having trouble with the mute button and OSD of mute, just like version 3.1 DTS. When I first start program it will say mute on OSD but play L&R. If I push mute button the red x goes off but sound goes off also. Can not get sound back without closing program and restarting. Have not heard back from InterVideo about way they do not support the M-Audio sound card line. Will not upgrade until I'm sure it will work properly. Guess it is back to version 3.0 DTS for now unless someone can verify that the full version 4 works correctly with the 410.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No, the trial version has all the multichannel and DTS decoding available. Aparently, there might be a problem with the M-Audio support, b/c my crappy Zoltrix can do 6 channels with the trial no problem.

·
Registered
644 Posts
No, there is not a problem enabling 6 channels and ProLogic2 on the 410. Here is how you do it in Windows XP:

To enable 5.1 you have to go into the windows control panel for "sounds and audio devices" (the windows mixer) and configure these options:

1 "Use perfered devices" - check this

2 "Delta 410 multichannel" -select this

3 "5.1 speakers" - which is selected by pressing the "advanced" button, under the speakers tab. There is also a setting here for 7.1 speakers, but when I select this WinDVD only gives me the option to select 2 speakers, not all 8 so make sure you use the 5.1 setting.

Once you setup the windows mixer as above, go back into WinDVD and click on the Audio Setup and you should find that you now have these settings:

2 speakers

4 speakers

6 speakers

The last two (7 and 8 speakers) are greyed out and a message I received from Cliff states that WinDVD will have to be coded to recogize the Delta 410/1010 in order to use these outputs.

However, you now have Dolby Prologic2, AC3, and DTS decoding just as in PowerDVD.

NickB

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ooops, with one big caveat that I can't find my dongle so I haven't actually been able to hear what comes out of the speakers (I only verified in the Delta mixer that the channels contained audio).

NickB

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Ooops, with one big caveat that I can't find my dongleâ€

I always keep my dongle close at hand. :D

â€so I haven't actually been able to hear what comes out of the speakers (I only verified in the Delta mixer that the channels contained audio).â€

Well I have and this version of WinDVD sux for use with the 410.

The 5.1 channel AC-3 is no better than PowerDVD 4.0 XP, plus you have that darn “MUTE†OSD on screen and when you click the mute button it turns off the front L/R speakers.

Decoded DTS has a really bad studder.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
â€so I haven't actually been able to hear what comes out of the speakers (I only verified in the Delta mixer that the channels contained audio).â€

Well I have and this version of WinDVD sux for use with the 410.

The 5.1 channel AC-3 is no better than PowerDVD 4.0 XP, plus you have that darn “MUTE†OSD on screen and when you click the mute button it turns off the front L/R speakers.

Decoded DTS has a really bad studder. [/b]
Sigh. The perfect application with the perfect card and ten bucks says the app programers didn't even look at M-audio cards when coding this stuff.

What is so bad with the 410 and Powerdvd 4.0? I thought the decoding worked fairly well from what I have read.

Sand

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sand

Sigh. The perfect application with the perfect card and ten bucks says the app programers didn't even look at M-audio cards when coding this stuff.

What is so bad with the 410 and Powerdvd 4.0? I thought the decoding worked fairly well from what I have read.

Sand
It works well except that the output volume is low and it doesn't support DD-EX or DTS-ES rear channel decoding (8 channels total)... it only supports 5.1 :(

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NickB
crap
Crap is right.

I've tried every combination of settings to get DTS DVD to play properly with no luck. Wish it would work because WinDVD has a nice boost setting that increases the volume level by ~14dB. The "Theater" setting has the same level as PowerDVD.

DTS CD audio plays perfectly in WinDVD so I think the problem with DTS DVDs is with the A/V sync buffers in the program code.

To bad because the PQ is not bad either.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson

Crap is right.

I've tried every combination of settings to get DTS DVD to play properly with no luck. Wish it would work because WinDVD has a nice boost setting that increases the volume level by ~14dB. The "Theater" setting has the same level as PowerDVD....
Version 3.0 DTS works great in DTS and DD decoding with the 410. ;) I can not understand what (regressive) changes were made in audio decoding from version 3.0 to 3.1. Whatever the changes they carry over to version 4.:mad: Everyone please e-mail InterVideo asking about what changes were made and why they do not support the M-Audio line.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the following response from InterVideo tech support and it is not good. :mad: The only way to get version 4 to support M-Audio cards is to let InterVideo know we are out here. Please everyone who has a M-Audio card whether you use WinDVD or not please e-mail InterVideo tech support.

Quote:
InterVideo Technical Support-Carl Rogers mailto:[email protected]

William-

At this time, there is still no support for 24/96 audio cards and the WinDVD 4 software. These cards do not have a large stake in the PC market. All efforts are currently being geared towards 16-bit sound cards. The only exception to this is the Sound Blaster Audigy card, however this card is not a "true" 24/96 card. As 24/96 cards become standard in the mainstream market, they will be implemented into the WinDVD software.

If you'd like to check the status of 24/96 support down the road, feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,

Carl Rogers

Technical Support Engineer

InterVideo, Inc.

mailto:[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just installed windvd4 on a system with M410. With DTS demo dvd sound is distorted and ususefull. MP3 files work perfectly.

I've tried to a new clean installation of win xp professional with only windvd4 software to check if there was some conflict with powerDvd 4 xp but proble is still there.

M410 drivers are 27 final2.

Any suggestion how to fix the problem ?

Gianfi

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
William,

That is pure BS response from InterVideo tech support. The fact that Delta cards have 24/96 DACs and S/PDIF output has (or should have) absolutely nothing to do with the inability of WinDVD to properly decode DTS DVD audio. In fact WinDVD 4.0 does an excellent job of decoding DTS CD music (16/44.1) and AC-3 audio (16/48). WinDVD 4.0 will also pass AC-3 and DTS DVD audio thru the Delta S/PDIF.

On the other hand, after reading the response from IVI, the DTS DVD decoder in WinDVD may not know what to do with DTS DVD audio IF the soundcard driver reports to the client that it is 24/96 capable. I may be wrong, but I believe that DTS DVD audio is encoded at 20/48 and WinDVD may be down converting it to 16/48 at the same time setting the Delta DAC to 24 or 20-bit. We would need to analyze the PCM frame headers to determine what is happening here.

As for the 7th and 8th channels I’m not sure what is going on with WinDVD. WinDVD 4.0 has two audio filters of which the IVI Audio Decoder supports a maximum of 6 speakers (5.1 channels) and the other IVI Audio Processor filter has settings for 7 or 8 speakers. Looks like they may be using Virtual 6.1/7.1 instead of true 6.1/7.1 for the extra channels similar to the way we did it in the Delta Bass Management filters.

It really is a shame that DTS DVD audio does not work properly because WinDVD offers many excellent audio processing features that would make our HTPC function closer to an actually pre-amp. In addition to Dolby ProLogic and DPL2 it has InterVideo ICE processing of stereo that in my opinion is better than DLP2 and several DSP modes. However, at $79.95 it is a bit costly as a CD player.

BTW, Gaucho (Steely Dan) plays perfectly from the DVD-ROM drive with WinDVD unlike PowerDVD XP.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I start suspecting that Intervideo does not want to support M-Audio for some idiotic commercial reasons (royalties, trade secrets, etc.). If so, they sure are shooting into their own feet.

Whichever the reason, this is certainly an infuriating situation. As for me, I am clearly not upgrading to WinDVD 4 until they take care of the M-Audio issue.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally posted by aag
I start suspecting that Intervideo does not want to support M-Audio for some idiotic commercial reasons (royalties, trade secrets, etc.). If so, they sure are shooting into their own feet.

Whichever the reason, this is certainly an infuriating situation. As for me, I am clearly not upgrading to WinDVD 4 until they take care of the M-Audio issue.
Please send an e-mail to Carl Rogers at mailto:[email protected] and tell him the same thing. :)

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.