AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already read a few disappointed reviews after the fact (my bad) about this BD:Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition / Boris Godunov / Night on Bare Mountain (Blu-ray)

I have a Panasonic BD-10AK and keep getting an "unsupported" message when trying to play it. PS3 feedback seems to be mixed as far as success or failure with playing it.

Anyone here have any feedback either positive or negative and what BD player they are using?

I wouldn't think that my problem is related to my BD not supporting DTS-MA, as I have played many other discs using this audio format. In fact, this is the very first BD I have been UNABLE to play.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I haven't tried out any of the Surround Records titles (although I've been meaning to), so I don't have any concrete suggestions.

However, Surround Records industry insider "Alexander J" has a dedicated thread on Blu-ray.com with some interesting and informative discussion of their titles, so that might be a good place to read through and ask further questions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just received my copy of this disc last night and it will not play on either of my PS3s OR an Insignia Blu-Ray player. I'm very disappointed and will be seeking a refund. For now, I suggest staying away from this one.

Graham

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Some other victims on Amazon are having playback problems on the Tchaikovsky. Someone even said it is a DVD-9; perhaps it is a BD-9 format. I am amazed why people continue to waste their money on these titles.

I am a seasoned classical music and video collector and buying concerts and operas on BD but I'm most definitely staying away from ALL of these titles from SR.

This studio, which by the way seems to come from a non-classical music production background, just obtains the tracks from Naxos and remixes them, in the process also upsamples some (though not this particular title) and upmixes from 5.1 to 7.1. The producer says it is all his creation in Blu-ray forum. In that case that is even worse than a simple up-mixing like some receivers do. You are not getting the original mix produced by the studio which was involved in the recording, mixing and production. You are not hearing the original recording engineer's and editor's work nor the true ambience of the venue in these re-mixes. You can buy the original and real article, Naxos SACD and DVD-A for cheaper. But hold on, most of these titles aren't special in the first place.

My post which tried to clear up some of these points got deleted over there without any explanation or notice. So much for getting to the truth.

If it is a movie, when another studio which is unconnected with the original filming, editing and production comes and remasters it and in doing so changes the colour palette or hue or apply EE/DNR or whatever, upconverts/upmixes the audio and charges you more, would you think it is so desirable?

Take some of the positive reviews on Amazon with a large pinch of salt. The spelling mistakes and writing are very suggestive they come from the same person.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts