Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;

My room is 16 x 24, so it plenty big, but I have

slanted walls. My walls are straight up for about 5 ft, and then slant towards the ceiling, kind of like an attic that's been converted to living space. It's a full 8 ft high ceiling, so the slanted part is about 3 or 4 ft

Has anyone else here created a home theater in a room like this? And if so, how did you handle your wall treatments?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Slanted walls are a good thing. Take a look at any recording studio or your local radio station's announce booth. Commercial audio rooms always have non-symectrical walls becuase it breaks up standing waves.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
Slanted walls are a good thing. Take a look at any recording studio or your local radio station's announce booth. Commercial audio rooms always have non-symectrical walls becuase it breaks up standing waves.
Agreed. I would just like to get some ideas on how to dress the walls.

·
Registered
469 Posts
We have done a number of HT's in such a room with slanted ceilings. We used In Wall Speakers, and they sound great in just such an environment. This places the speakers so they are firing directly at the listening area. Go for it

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
As you know, I have a similiar setup. When you say wall treatments, are you talking acoustically or cosmetic?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
As you know, I have a similiar setup. When you say wall treatments, are you talking acoustically or cosmetic?
Hey Steve!

Man, I gotta get back over there and check out your HDTV.

To answer your question, both. As I remember, you painted your walls and it looks great. In my case, I put velvet-like curtains on my walls for both cosmetic appeal AND sound deadening.

It works great, but I don't have that finished look that many people seem to achieve.

One commmon approach many people take is to divide the walls into halves with chair rail and place columns every 4 ot 5 feet (ala' Dennis Erskin) with lots of crown molding. This looks great, especially using sound deadening materials instead of paint. But, you can't really do this with slanted walls.

So, I would just like to see some examples of how other people have designed rooms with similar walls. For me, half the fun is designing a really cool room.

If anyone has some pictures please post links.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.