Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was looking at Audiogon for a good deal on Aragon amps. I found a deal for a new pair of Palladiums being offered at 50% MSRP. It was a dealer ad from Avalon AV. The details are:

Bob at Avalon Audio Video, Medford, NJ.

Phone: (609)-654-7752 Fax: (609)-654-7005

Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Web: www.avalonav.com or www.avalonaudiovideo.com

Everything was going fine but now the dealer tells me he can only accept wire from international buyers like me and Paypal or Visa is not an option. My question is has anyone done business with these guys, how safe am I with using wire coz I think in that way I will be without any protection. I really want to go ahead with this buy but I can't risk losing all that money in a scam.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mate I agree thats why if I can't find any direct references etc I will call this deal off.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have dealt with Bob since '97, always found him to be a stand-up guy. He even cross-shipped a bad component I had.

John

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have never bought from him, but I have seen many favorable vendor reviews for Avalon. There used to be a great site, no longer active, called AudioSurvey.com that listed user ratings of CE and AV vendors, and Avalon got very high marks as I recall. They are not listed at ResellerRatings.com AFAIK. I don't think they are being unreasonable in their payment requirements from international customers. Many vendors won't sell outside the USA period.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
I have never bought from him, but I have seen many favorable vendor reviews for Avalon. There used to be a great site, no longer active, called AudioSurvey.com that listed user ratings of CE and AV vendors, and Avalon got very high marks as I recall. They are not listed at ResellerRatings.com AFAIK. I don't think they are being unreasonable in their payment requirements from international customers. Many vendors won't sell outside the USA period.
I am not saying that they are being unreasonable in their payment requirement. What I am concerned about is buyer protection which I think in wire transfer is zero. I have bought a couple of things from US and never had any problems using my Visa. As long as the billing and shipping address is the same it should be ok. Can't figure how can the seller be ripped off with a credit card payment.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Seller protection via paypal is Zero! Since #1 paypal requires the seller to ship to a confirmed paypal shipping address. Paypal only confirms USA shipping addresses.

I personally as a longtime paypal user "well over five years" have to think long and hard about paypal sales outside the USA.

Verified and confirmed paypal shipping address is not the same.

They are easily confused.

Without the confirmed paypal shipping address, the seller has ZERO seller protection if he runs into a not so nice buyer.

Simply put, product gets received, one phone call or email to paypal with a claim that it was not received. Seller is instantaneously given a charge-back. Those monies are held/returned to the buyer.

Paypal will ask for the address of shipment, even if the address matches the buyers paypal account, it is not confirmed. Paypal DOES NOT confirm shipping addresses outside the USA. Without this first requirement, the seller is dead in his tracks with paypal with no recourse.

This is nearly true with merchant cards as well.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Avalon AV has been in business many years, and Bob is a stand up guy, he is definitely not any sort of scam artist. Years ago I bought a Chiro pre-pro from him, and had no problems at all. As far as his requirements for international sales, thats for him to decide if he even wants to do such things. If it was me and I was a dealer, I would not want to go through the headaches and risks to do so. Like someone else mentioned, many places won't even do it under any terms, and I can't say that I blame them. And probably more so, when they are heavily discounting something like that by 50%. And yes a seller can be ripped off in a credit card sale, and even charged back, if the buyer disputes the sale. But least if it was someone in the US that does that to him, he has a much easier time going after them than he would with someone in a international sale.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I also have bought from Bob at Avalon and know some other guys who have as well. It's been a number of years but I had no problems dealing with him at all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought some Parasound stuff from Bob at Avalon a few years back. Everything arrived as promised, and when I wanted to return part of the order, he did it very efficiently and with minimal fuss.

It's up to you to decide what level of risk you want to accept, but you're definitely not dealing with a scam artist.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I pulled the trigger today and wired him the money based on this guy's extremely positive feedback here and on Audiogon.

Now I am waiting for my merchandise to arrive :)

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman
Thanks for your input guys. I pulled the trigger today and wired him the money based on this guy's extremely positive feedback here and on Audiogon.

Now I am waiting for my merchandise to arrive :)

Sincerely,

-dollarman
Tell him he owes us for this sale! :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
Tell him he owes us for this sale! :D
Funny but true :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts