AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Did a search for this topic and didn't come up with anything even though I seem to remember it being mentioned recently.

Anyone heard of EVS or Elite Vision Sales? There prices are ridiculously low so it seems like a scam.

I just picked up one of the few remaining Pioneer 101FD's at my local Magnolia then found this place. They are selling a 141 for considerably less than I just paid for a 101. They also show a sony 55xbr8 for less than 1/4 of original msrp.

Seems way too good to be true...

·
Registered
15,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA /forum/post/18260942

Then it usually is! (Buyer beware in situations like this.) Are they passing refurbished equipment as new? What is there return policy? Are they an authorized dealer (if not, the manufacturer may not honor the warranty)? Can you find any online reviews of them? These are the standard questions you need to look into.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This was discussed in another thread and seems to be a scam. Someone noted that the country code on there phone number was in Indonesia. If it's too good to be true

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA /forum/post/18260942

Hey all,

Did a search for this topic and didn't come up with anything even though I seem to remember it being mentioned recently.

Anyone heard of EVS or Elite Vision Sales? There prices are ridiculously low so it seems like a scam.

I just picked up one of the few remaining Pioneer 101FD's at my local Magnolia then found this place. They are selling a 141 for considerably less than I just paid for a 101. They also show a sony 55xbr8 for less than 1/4 of original msrp.

It is too good to be true - that site is definitely a scam site. You fall for the unbelievably low price, wire-transfer them money, and you never get the TV.

A. They accept US dollars, Euro, or British Pounds. But TVs are country-specific and a real online retailer never ever sells or ships TVs to other countries.

B. And if you register on their site to create an account, even if you don't complete checkout and don't order a TV they now have your personal information, and maybe you even used the same password that you use for your online banking and credit card accounts information (or a password pattern that will help them figure out your real password) and that info can help them net a lot more money than the few thousand they would have gotten had you actually ordered a TV.

C. Usually such sites will only accept wire-transfers or money orders, but sometimes they'll also claim to accept credit cards or ATM or Paypal so you enter your account numbers and passwords and such and they immediately clean out your bank account or distribute your credit card number to their crime ring and they charge thousands of dollars worth of items to your card.

I don't even like poking around on obvious scam sites because you might click on a link to the Pioneer TVs, then that drops a trojan horse virus on your PC.

·
Registered
251 Posts
These Guys are Total Scam. Every few months another site like this pops up in google shopping, with prices almost 50%-75% cheaper then the internet guys. But by looking on there website and seeing they do not accept credit card they, they are located in Hong Kong, Or Malaysia and the only payment option is western union, I think you can figure out the rest yourself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is it possible to create a sticky thread with a list of scam sellers?

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron25 /forum/post/18278620

Is it possible to create a sticky thread with a list of scam sellers?

That's not what this site is about.

There is a list at ResellerRatings.com but these scammer sites pop up so much and get shut down so often that it would probably be impossible to keep up with all of them. Just remember that if an unknown website has prices that look too good to be true, then it's probably a scam site. Look for the red flags i posted above too.

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum...ist-guide.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts