AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, can anyone outhere help me. I think I have just bought an NEC GP5000, but it is badged up as a GE Imager 610EPJ.

Problem is it won't turn on and I have no idea why. I telephoned NEC in the US from here in the U.K and they said "it could be that projector but they have no way of finding out", not very helpful.

I have searched and searched GEs web site and cannot find anything there about it. I have an owners manual but it does not help in "fault finding". If anyone out there has anything that could possibly help I would really appreciate it

If anyone else has encountered one with a similar problem please help.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are you sure that it is not going into standby mode? Pushing the power switch on most projectors just puts it into standby, and you need the remote control to actually light the tubes.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
if it is a GP series, check if it has two rows of dip switches in the back. It is probably set to use the external switcher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure the dip switches are set right but i do not even get a power indicator light when the power is switched on.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
If the back panel does not glow when you turn on the main switch beside the power cordc, then your power supply is dead and most likely cannot be repaired. (See other postings recently about the custom GP-3000 chips that cannot be had...)

Curt

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Then you may be one of many with the dreaded dead powersupply on this unit. There is no fix for this if it's the PJX-01 IC in that supply. Check fuses first, if you find some. The powersupply is not available, nor is the chip. This is an issue I am actively pursuing. I may be wasting my time, but I foolishly believe that a fix is possible through some reverse engineering on this thing. I am waiting on a powersupply at this time to study. It would be incredible to resurrect these from the dead. Don't give up yet.

Marc

·
Registered
496 Posts
FWIW, I would bet with some work and possibly a small external board/adapter a PIC micro can be programmed to do whatever that chip did.

--Kieth

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieth
FWIW, I would bet with some work and possibly a small external board/adapter a PIC micro can be programmed to do whatever that chip did.

--Kieth
I agree. But the obvious question arises... what did that chip do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys from reading this forum it appears I have the dreaded duff power supply, I wish you luck Timan please place me second on the list if you are successful with the fix, I will be waiting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.