AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Lots have tried it, few like it. The same can be said for most Terk products.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have misunderstood, but does the terk allow you ota channels over the same coax as the sat. line? I don't want to run another line... if that's what it does, who else does this on a good antenna?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The antenna doesn't do that - thats handled by a separate piece of equipment. Any antenna can be combined with the satellite signal using that separate device. So there is no advantage for the Terk - its overpriced with terrible performance.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Terk antenna designs are junk, but in a good reception situation, a junk antenna often works just fine. They are often supplied with diplexers that pass power on both legs, which allows the powering of a broadcast antenna preamplifier from the LNB power supply. Most diplexers pass DC power on just their satellite leg. This is sometimes useful but not a good idea. Some DirecTV receivers, like the early Sony's, don't seem to have much LNB powering surplus and it is bad for their health to be called upon to furnish this extra current.

Check antennaweb to see where the transmitters are with respect to you and select an appropriate, cheap antenna based on their recommendation. if there are no VHF DTV channel assignments in your market, you may do well with a Silver Sensor or a Channelmaster 4 bay bowtie, no preamplifier, and a cheap regular diplexer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 12 miles from the transmitter, and the TERK couldn't even pull it in....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few people who have had good luck with the Terk. The one I went with is the TV-47 I think, the one that fits the elliptical dish. I had read all of the negative comments on net about them being overpriced junk (I personally feel that way about Sony and that doesn't stop hoards of people from buying their products :) ) but I decided that it's ease of install made it worth a try. I like the fact that it mounts to the dish and uses the existing wiring...no addition mounts or power and it comes with all of the diplexers/cable you need.

Of course, you will just have to try it and see how it performs in your situation. I may have a better signal because of my location. YMMV

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DTC mac
TERK antennas are about as good as screen doors on submarines (ie- totally useless)

hahaaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.