AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Yes, I have two of them. HDTV from OTA or RCA DTC-100 is outstanding. So is prog DVD. They are essentialy the Sony 400q LCD proj put into an RPTV. Sony orig. released it as a B&PG product at $15k! Sales were poor because of a lack of market for 16:9 for B&PG customers. The price went from $15k, to $12.5k, to $10k, to $7.5k, to $5k, and then discontinued it. Get the service manual from Sony! There is an excellent forum on this proj. in the DVD Big Picture site, with much useful info. Also, do a google search for the model number for lots of useful sites. Someday I'll replace one or both of them w/plasma.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Robert! I'm very familiar with ThePigPictureDVD but unfortunately that forum has about given up the ghost.

I'm quite excited about this unit, seems ideal for my needs: smaller room, possible need to move it every now and again (it's light), and lots of hours of use every day (no burn in with LCD).

Glad to know I'm not alone on AVS - it's by far my favorite forum and I didnt' want to have to go elsewhere to chat about this unit :)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Although the KL-W9000 can do much higher resolutions, the native resolution of the panel is still 480p. HDTV does look pretty sharp on this display.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Although this monitor's native LCD panel resolution's is 480p, the internal scaler interpolates the pixels very nicely; giving a very desirable antialiasing effect. HDTV at 720p most definitely looks better than 480p on this monitor. I also run DVD's, 3D games, and desktop at 1360x768. It's a great monitor.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've had the unit since Friday, and I am VERY happy with my purchase!

I've been watching cable TV (via ReplayTV's S-video outputs) and DVD using my Skyworth (with the VGA cable)... awesome! Very clear and very impressed!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi-

I've had the KL-W9000 for a couple of years and love it. I have one bit of advice and many questions.

I'll start with the advice. You may want to consider buying a replacement bulb. Since this monitor was discontinued about 2.5 years ago, you may not be able to easily get a replacement when/if you need to a few years down the road. I think they cost a few hundred dollars, which is a little painful.

I want to get a progressive scan DVD player, but the 9000 only has RGB input. Should I forget the DVD and get an iScan? Will I really notice a difference in picture quality?

I also wonder about OTA HD broadcasts. Is the RCA DTC-100 my only/best choice? I've stayed away from the DTC-100 because I thougth people were having problems hooking them to the KL-W9000.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Is the RCA DTC-100 my only/best choice? I've stayed away from the DTC-100 because I thougth people were having problems hooking them to the KL-W9000.
the DTC100 works great with 9000. i've had this combination

for the last two years.

you might have to go into the service menu to tweak one parameter

(REF) to get the picture to fill the screen properly.

my 9000 shipped with the vga cable that plugged right into the dtc100.

definitely check out the FAQ's at the big picture dvd website, you'll want to tweak the picture masking and size for the various inputs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.